LegacyGT.com

Is $360 too much for a Spring swap?

Got my new STI pinks, called the local Subaru dealership to see how much they would charge for installation. The tech said it would take 4 hours and they would charge $360.

Wait, hold on, 4 HOURS! I thought it would take closer to 2 hours! Is there something terribly complicated about removing the stock struts and swapping the springs? It seems like to would be pretty cut and dry to me. I would do it myself, but I don't have the proper tools (like a spring decompressor).

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I just called Walts Auto Repair, and they said the book time is 3.2 hours for the front, and 3.2 hours for the back. They said to go for the dealership's offer, and that it sounds like they are cutting me a deal.

I hope that $360 includes a 4-wheel alignment lol!:icon_mrgr

I'm calling my local performance shop next, they do really good work there.

Does the Legacy have to be aligned after a spring swap?

Dealer is robbing you!

My install cost $175. 2 guys and about 1 3/4 hrs.

Got to a performance shop.

Han is 100% right, My local performace shop is quoting $200.04, tax included. The best part is they are located about .03 miles from my work. So I can drop it off in the morning and have it back by lunch.:icon_mrgr

I just did my Tein H-Techs over the 4th weekend. Never done a spring swap on a Legacy before. It's a real easy job to do with the right tools. DIY, gain the experience and save the money. Probably a half days work.

install notes.....from Jack at iON when i got my springs:

re: spring install

(1) the springs will settle in 1 week or less.

(2) wait 1 week before alignment [however if you mark your current camber bolt positions; you'll be 99% close to on spec for camber]

(3) Camber will fall into factory spec range (the upper end)

And this...

Hi Brian, the alignment is based on how "aggressive" you'd like to go. The most I'd suggest for street use is -1 degree camber L&R (mind you this setting is with you in the car). 0 toe all around. -0.5 to -0.75 rear camber is ok as well. It depends on how much you want to "stick" to the road in the corners. You can also ask the people to bring the alignment back to stock as well.

Best Regards,

Jack

Awesome, thanks for the input guys! I will wait to do the alignment until after the springs settle. Since this is my daily driver, I doubt I will set up the camber to be too aggressive. I want to keep the tire wear down to a minimum.

Did my Ion spring install over the 4th of July weekend too. Took about 2.5 hours total. Working with an impact wrench makes the job very easy. I had to loosen the sway bar bolts though to get the control arms to move down. And make sure you mark the camber bolts and set the springs in their perch properly (I marked the strut to top hat alignment too)

This is something you could do yourself or with a friend.

Ralph

Yes, but it is a tad dangerous without the right equipment. After remodeling both tubs in my house this weekend, I think I'll hire this one out lol. The appointment is Thursday morning:icon_mrgr .

Next up is better brake pads and fluid.

My good friend and musclecar buddy helped me with my iONs this past weekend.

Took him only about 1 and 1/2 hours, and that's including jacking time.

The only "cheat" we used was an impact gun. ;)

Our actual time-to-completion, by the clock, was about 5 hours, but that included a long lunch break and countless trips to various local auto-parts stores to pick up and drop-off various parts for his Suburban's front brake/hub rebuild.

Honestly, if someone has experience doing this, they really should be able to hammer it out in well under 2 hours.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm definitely not experienced with changing out springs. I'm sure I could do it with a jack, or I could rent a spring decompressor, but I'm not going fiddle with it. I busted my butt enough this weekend lol. Plus after getting $100 for supplying parts for an AOG (means: Aircraft On Ground), the install is really only costing me $100.:icon_wink

^ Sounds good! :D

Please come back to post pix when you're done! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived