LegacyGT.com

2nd set of wheels for autox

Th3Franz

I face somewhat of a dilemma. Winter is approaching, and I have summer tires mounted on my stock rims, wide 225/45/17. I only have the stock set of wheels right now, with stock RE-92's in the basement collecting dust. I really want to get a set of winter tires, but I also want a 2nd set of wider rims to put my summer tires on and put the winter tires on the stock set. I don't want to spend more than $900 on wider wheels, so I was hoping to get some advice as to what my options are.

Specifically:

1. The new set of wheels will be for autox and street driving, and I want them to be 17" diameter to fit my existing summer tires and have less rotational inertia

2. The new set of wheels must be wider than stock. I think 17" x 8" might be ideal.

3. Some I have been considering:

Rota: Torque, Boost, Rev, Tarmac 2

Stock BBS STi wheels

I appreciate any input. :)

For colors I think hyper silver or a steel grey to go on my garnet red pearl sedan.

I'm doing something similar yet slightly different. I've just shipped off my stock wheels/tires and want a winter tire so I can pull my Volks (17x8) and Mich PS2s off. The snow in St. Louis is really not bad and I could get away with an all season but I've thought I put a snow on anyway. I've been looking at cheap snows/rims for quite a while. However, I told myself that the wheels must fit a big brake kit also. That limits things even more. My three options I've looked at are:

1. 17x7.5 Rota Tarmac 2s ($640-650 at www.subedude.com or www.oakos.com) + Blizzak LM25s from www.tirerack.com but it gets up over $1200 once I figure in shipping and local mount and balance.

2. I can do cheaper at tirerack if I order a package deal (mounting and balancing is free) but I'd have to go with the ASA JH3s (Still with the LM25s). I'm not a big fan of the wheel and its still over a grand.

3. My latest bargain is the MB Weapon 17x8 and 225/45 Hankook W300 ice bear or something or other.... Its only $896 shipped. I've got photo evidence it fits a BBK and the tire is more of a cold weather all season than a deep snow which is actually good for me. Best of all, its cheep. As soon as the pay pal clears I'm probably going to order a set in gunmetal. They come in bronze as well. Did I say it was cheap??

I always do searches on 2004 WRX STIs rather than the WRX. The 05 has a different bolt pattern but the 04's were 5x100. That gives me big brake kit compatible LGT wheels.....

SSR's would be nice but I guess I'd be a little concerned since I'd also have them on the car for daily driving during warm months and the roads here are dreadful which could result in damaged wheels.

I drive both sets of my SSRs for daily driving, they are fine, and I live in DC area!!

Keefe

Keefe

• 3 months later...

3. My latest bargain is the MB Weapon 17x8 and 225/45 Hankook W300 ice bear or something or other.... Its only $896 shipped. I've got photo evidence it fits a BBK and the tire is more of a cold weather all season than a deep snow which is actually good for me. Best of all, its cheep. As soon as the pay pal clears I'm probably going to order a set in gunmetal. They come in bronze as well. Did I say it was cheap??

I am considering doing the same thing. Did you end up purchasing this setup, and if so, is it available in-store at america's tire co.? I say so because their puncture and road hazard insurance has paid for itself every time i've bought tires.

Archived