LegacyGT.com

2k5 LGT - blow turbo (pic)

Hey guys subaru took a turn for the worse the other day... finally got around to pulling the turbo and here is what I find....

http://justchil.net/gallery/misc/aan.jpg

I don't really hang out around the subara aftermarket (I have an evo that I spend way too much money on) so any help would be great. I'd love to save money and buy a used turbo but I don't want to end up in the situation again. Are there any aftermarket turbos that are a direct bolt up... or perhaps a way to get a used one that's not going to blow up on me anytime soon?

yeah, if you look around here there's been a few for sale in the for sale forum.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

PS: If there any any options say an 08 STI turbo bolts right on... could you let me know? I'm going to do some research to see what all options I have but I'm sure a lot of you know off the top of your head.

Edit:

Also maybe there are options to have this one rebuilt? Doubtful because the blades damaged the compressor housing :\ I know with the stock evo turbo there are upgrades with larger wheels and such...

STI turbo's wont bolt right up, you either have to go FMIC or do an intake manifold and STI TMIC swap, there is more to it than this, misc parts and such, PM someone who has done this swap to get the details in full.

As for the turbos that swap right in....

VF52 (09 WRX)

VF40 (05-06 Stocker)

VF46 (07-09 Stocker)

AVO 380

AVO 420 (i think)

I believe there are more, but i'm not familiar with them.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

So can this problem be prevented? I have 60,000km on my car and I really can't afford a flippin turbo. Do I just replace the "banjo bolt" whatever that is and all the mesh screens involved in filtrating the oil system? I'm confused. Someone please help.

He should do his research before posting. There is a ton of good information on this site, and many people who are often willing to help. As he/she learns how to use what is available they will stop doing foolish things. We were all in that boat once.

Archived