LegacyGT.com

21 mm CUSCO rear sway bar came with wrong bushings..

loopless

I have been whining about my CUSCO 21mm rear sway bar being somewhat noisy. After having a good look it was obvious to me that the sway bar was not tight in the bushings. No matter how solidly I tightened up the clamps, there was some play - and it looked like about 1mm.

So I took off the one of the bushings, and suprise, suprise 22 ( I assume this means 22mm) is stamped on the bushing. I would expect a 21 mm sway bar should come with 21 mm bushings!

I bought this from RallySport - obvious not their fault, as that's the way it came from the 'factory' but I will see how they deal with me.

Maybe others with noisy CUSCO sway bars should check bushing sizes.

CUSCO.jpg.585aa65676c4260eb75d45558b95f233.jpg

odd, never had a problem with mine..

I am not saying everyone got the wrong bushings...perhaps it was just one production "run" where someone messed up. That would explain why some people have complained about it and others not.

What kind of noises were you experiencing? Mine creaks when driving slow or on hard braking/accelerating. I also get an occasional pop from the front (also Cusco) during initial acceleration. The noises are intermittent so I've been trying to find a pattern the past few days.:iam:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Mine reads "21", no noise issues here. Prob. the guy at cusco packing the box had a brain-fart. :iam:

Thanks for checking - that seals the case - now if Rallysport would return my phone calls/email we could get this resolved!

What kind of noises were you experiencing? Mine creaks when driving slow or on hard braking/accelerating. I also get an occasional pop from the front (also Cusco) during initial acceleration. The noises are intermittent so I've been trying to find a pattern the past few days.:iam:

Bumping and clunking - the bar is moving around more than it should. It is pretty easy to check without taking the whole think apart. Just slide under the car, and grab the bar. Try and move it up and down - it should be very tight in the bushings with no play. Some left and right movement is quite normal as the endlinks move that way as well.

it's pretty obvious in my case that the bushing is one size (1mm) too big.

i have always felt that the bushings on mine have had too much slop. i will be getting a new set of bushings (i think urathane) from a local shop some time soon. i'm just too lazy to put them in now.

I had a similar problem with my bushings. While off the car they fit great, While loaded on the car the bushings were a little sloppy and casued a clunking type sound.

I solved the problem with a special tape, called Magic tape. This tape is made out of silicone that sticks to itself real well. I cleaned the bar, wraped the bar with Magic tape, lubed the tape and installed the bushing and clamp. So far this has proven to work great. The clunk is gone, all thats left is the effects of a new Sway bar.

688480300_Sbartapewrap.jpg.c1e52a4935fbe07d5e5444ad0fa5bd6c.jpg

Archived