LegacyGT.com

The 2015 WRX.......

I'm sure that this car is an amazing driving machine. I am just as sure that it will sell as well as the outgoing model, as lately, Subaru has been aiming it's cars towards a wider audience. But, I'm not sure that actually makes the car the best it could be overall.

I'd absolutely love to have this car if it weren't for one glaring problem - there is no hatchback available. Subaru said it was an engineering advantage. Well, I understand why that is, but it makes no sense to me after they've been doing it very well for 11 plus years now. But, because I have seen renderings of a WRX hatchback, the sedan will never do.

What's wrong with the sedan?

That brings me to, pretty much, my only actual problem, which is derivative of it being a sedan only. The roof, window, and upper door lines are straight from a Toyota Prius. Opinions of design are always subjective, and yes, it's design is partial to being a "safer" structure in the event of an accident and is aerodynamically positive for gas mileage. I realize all of my opinions are subjective, but I do believe most would agree with everything I am saying. This one specific part of the design absolutely ruins the rest of the car, and is why I have had a distaste for the sedan since the redesigned non-WRX Impreza was released a couple of years ago.

The lack of exhaust rumble can be forgiven with an aftermarket header, because not sounding like a Honda 4-banger is completely worth any "loss" in performance. Along with their always "quirky" body design and All Wheel Drive, the "Subaru rumble" is a WRX trademark.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBZX7ZAWfU]2015 Subaru WRX First Drive and Review - YouTube[/ame]

I was also disappointed there isn't the traditional Subaru rumble. I know that it can be fixed, but it just seems to me like they're going against their roots. It also doesn't look the part to me. WRXs are supposed to look a bit crazy, almost juvenile. It's not a bad looking car, but it just doesn't distinguish itself enough from so many other boring sedans out there now. That makes me sad.

I'm sure, though, that the car is a blast to drive. I just want the craziness back.

First, that guys a dork. If the numbers don't add up there's no point to produce a hatchback.

It looks good but too plain I hope the STI looks more aggressive wider. The base WRX should have more than 268 hp, then should've bumped it up to near 300 and had the STI a hundred more. I like the boost gauge and interior for the most part. Hate and I mean HATE the dual exhaust, this only belongs on V8 vehicles. Cars are becoming too much of look a likes. I can already see people saying " Hey did you see that Taurus with a hood scoop?"

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to put these here....

These two pictures are the reason I cannot stand the new WRX. I wanted to buy one so badly until I found out that the hatch was not going to be offered. It's a complete deal breaker.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/2015-Subaru-WRX-MagScan1_zps52d930eb.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/2015-Subaru-WRX-MagScan2_zps6a8a7100.jpg

It comes with a CVT, which makes gear paddles just about useless (and yet, they are STILL there!) An ultimate turn-off. If I wanted a Corolla, I would have purchased one. Subaru, get back into rallying please & restart a REAL research & development team.

It comes with a CVT, which makes gear paddles just about useless (and yet, they are STILL there!) An ultimate turn-off. If I wanted a Corolla, I would have purchased one. Subaru, get back into rallying please & restart a REAL research & development team.

The reviews of the CVT have all been very good, and typically prefaced by "I know what you're thinking...a CVT in a WRX?" It's got an intellidrive system, which has I mode, for boring standard CVT action, Sport mode, which acts like a regular auto (I think), and Sport Sharp, which makes it act like an 8 speed auto.

I'm kind of disappointed and confused that the CVT news has gotten everybody (NASIOC in particular) so upset...if you don't want a CVT, don't buy it. People seem to be overlooking the fact that, for the first time ever, the WRX gets a 6 speed.

Edit: Also, there's a lot more info here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-wrx-teaser-216782.html

The 4th Gen Legacy was a great platform to build upon - solid, quiet, STIFF, and easily performance (suspension and drivetrain) tuned, so it's logical that they build the Impreza off of that. Two things I noted in that video that I didn't expect 1) 5x114.3 17" wheels, and the 2) Nav/Boost panel - although the Nav is the "Ark" version - it's that old.

6.0, 0-60 from a stock "CVT" setup is pretty decent and it looks like they benchmarked several performance cars including the Porsche 911 in the suspension build. You will not be able to recover the boxer rumble on this, because the turbo is directly below and aft of the crank pulley, so velocity tubes come straight off each bank and into the Twinscroll turbo. No way around that, unless you want to create a very, very weird routing, with significant thermal loss, and consequent loss of power. ELH is inefficient, no matter how much we love the signature "rumble".

It sucks that there'll be no wagon or hatch, except in the STI variants (maybe) - don't think the jury is completely-in yet. Brilliant move including the Lineatronic CVT as many will buy this version. And, I'm fairly confident the 6MT that Ryan was referring to in the video, is the slop-box 6MT that's in the Forester, the Impreza and the Legacy. Horrible shift-feel with these IMO.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That concept hatch thingy looks like a dodge caliber srt-4, the sedans look like a corolla raped a sentra and that's the bastard child that will be made fun of until college then show up on a reality tv show and pick up a chemical dependancy.

The dragon wants to get another car, even though the 97 Legacy we have has nothing wrong with it and runs like a dream. She says that she doesn't want another subaru despite the one we have, has been the most reliable car we have ever owned. The Mazda 3 or 6 are the popular buzz car to own at the moment. I don't see the point of getting rid of a car we have owned since new and have never missed an oil or fluid change in.

Still I'm just a stupid man, what would I know. The Gals seem to be in charge these days. Oh for the good old days. Where's my dinner woman, Joke. Ha ha.:wub:

Ok guys, Subaru updates their models more frequently than just about any other manufacturer. If this turns out to be a horrible failed experiment there will probably be a new WRX in 4-5 more years or a VIN break in the mean time. Pretty sure they don't go changing a classic formula like the WRX just to mess around. It's probably a reflection of what the market's demanding rather than what a group of guys on a board for 15 year old legacies would like to see. Just my two cents.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Archived