LegacyGT.com

[OT] Help my dad choose a Subaru

MarkyD

Greetings Subie fans, As some of you know, I'm going to be getting a Leggy GT in December. My dad seems to have caught the Subie bug as well, but he does NOT want a new one. He's looking to spend about 10k. He wants a turbo 4 banger Subaru. What Subaru vehicles were turbocharged in the late 90's or early 00's? What vehicles would be a good choice for him? I know this doesn't REALLY belong in this forum, so if it absoultely MUST be moved, I understand. I just wanted to get some advice from the knowledgeable folks in here. I'm very new to the Subaru world. Thanks guys.

There are no turbo subies from the late 90's. The only one I think MIGHT interest him would be a 2002 WRX. The only other Subies with turbos are probably too old to catch his interest. -Allen /edit I'm assuming you are American

Indeed, I'm american. Thanks for the reply...he'll be sorry to hear that. In that case, what are some older Subies that have plenty of power? That's more the issue than a turbo. I think I WRX is out of the question for my dad...I think it's probably too small for him. He's about 6'1" 220lbs.

There were few options for those of us who wanted power and a Subaru. Back in the day '91 to '94, the Legacy Sport and Legacy turbo was available, but it was only 160hp, 181lb-ft of torque, though with minimal cost in mods, you could easily get another 20% worth of power out of it. They are hard to come by as well, one in decent condition anyhow. The SVX is about the only other option with decent power. Auto-only. It looked quirky, but it's 3.3L H6 engine was torquey with 230hp, 228lb-ft of torque IIRC. The autos were sort of weak and people would when available transplant in 5MT drivetrains or add some cooling to the tranny. Next oldest model started with the '02 WRX. Subaru didn't get their desired sales of the more powerful models back in the 90's and thus hadn't returned with the more potent turbo models until just recently. They got burned and were rather skiddish. It wasn't until Gran Tourismo and one person that went out on a limb proposed bringing the turbo models here. It's been gangbusters since. Moving this to New Car Advice section.

Archived