LegacyGT.com

Exhaust thread, info on the exhausts out there

Mines

All of this information is from their respectable sites Fujitsubo Legalis R type Evolution [img]http://fujitsub.rsjp.net/imglib/sngl/000000000000001463.jpg[/img] std JDM legacy BL5 2.0GT rating 259.6ps (almost the same as hp +/- 4) Fujitsubo rating 265.3ps std JDM legacy BL5 2.0GT rating 36.5 kg*m Fujitsubo rating 36.7 kg*m Japan MSRP [full cat back] Y126,000 (approx. $1,260) HKS Silent Hi-power [img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/exhaust/muffler/list/subaru/img/31019-af013.jpg[/img] Japan MSRP [muffler] Y69,090 (approx. $691) Japan MSRP [Full cat back] Y123,900 (approx. $1,239) Apexi N1 Evolution [img]http://www.apexi.co.jp/products/exhaust/n1_evomuffler/669.jpg[/img] Japan MSRP [Full cat back] Y123,900 (approx. $1,239) Mines SILENCE-VX PRO II TITAN [img]http://www.mines-wave.com/kaihatsu/bp5/img/bp5-silense-vx-pro.jpg[/img] Japan MSRP [muffler] Y159,600 (approx. $1,596) [img]http://www.mines-wave.com/kaihatsu/bp5/img/bp5-center-p.jpg[/img] Japan MSRP [center pipe] Y73,500 (approx. $735) *note that all of these exhausts are specifically designed for the jdm BL5 Legacy 2.0 GT but they will work on our 2.5GTs I am leaning toward the HKS hi-power and the Fujitsubo Legalis R type evolution. I think i could make my final decision if i could find the power gains for the HKS exhaust. Orginally i wanted the mines exhaust, but if u factor in the cost of the muffler plus the center piple, its insane ($2,331) If u guys know any exhausts, please feel free to contribute and put some helpful into too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must point out that the exhausts will bolt up, but they won't fit, unless you like having your exhaust tips underneath the rear bumper a good inch or two. Especially if you buy an exhaust made for the JDM sedan vs. the JDM Wagon.

AVO has an exhaust system on a USDM Legacy GT already, down at Rallitek. Fitment was great, sound is great, but it's about an inch short. That's going to be sorted very soon.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.apexjapan.com

avo_exh.jpg.5cf0f5ceb2216681c1daaf893c5b2d76.jpg

good point paul, but i just checked the stock exhaust and it is also a inch below the bumper. and response to the ricer reference, i really dont think things are considered "ricer" if it has function. HKS is known for their power gains.

[quote name='apexjapan']I must point out that the exhausts will bolt up, but they won't fit, unless you like having your exhaust tips underneath the rear bumper a good inch or two. Especially if you buy an exhaust made for the JDM sedan vs. the JDM Wagon. AVO has an exhaust system on a USDM Legacy GT already, down at Rallitek. Fitment was great, sound is great, but it's about an inch short. That's going to be sorted very soon. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url][/quote] How is the sound say, compared to yours?

Exhausts are funny. They make a minimal gain, measurable only on the dyno, but the car sounds faster, so people think that it is faster. My nightmare is a bunch of Legacy GTs farting their way around town, piloted by drivers who think that noise is cool. A guy posted clips of his car with twin Dynaflow (or Dynamaster, or some such) over at NASIOC, and that car sounds like crap in this cranky old man's opinion. But to each their own. My advice would be, to make a Legacy GT faster, take the kilobuck that you might spend on a nice exhaust system, and give it to Skip Barber or Bob Bondurant. Then every car you drive will be faster, because you will be a better driver. Just my .02. Kevin

So you're basically telling everyone to not get exhaust and go to driving school? Nice blanket statement...:roll: On the WRX, exhaust gave an upward of 25hp worth of gain (turbo back)...not exactly a small gain in my book. I know they aren't the same cars, but I would expect similar gains out of this motor. Reguardless, if a bit of sound is what people are looking for, let them have it. Not everyone thinks (or wants to think) they're going faster, they just need sound to help them dictate what rpm the engine is at. A throaty exhaust makes the car more enjoyable to some folks. I don't want a bunch of kids to rice these out as much as anyone, but with the group we have here, I think it might be kept to a minimum. :D

One of the main benefits of a freer-flowing exhaust on my WRX was improved throttle response and quicker turbo spool. Also, there was noticeably more hp / torque regardless of RPM. There were no performance downsides. But, there was a downside...noise. The open space of the wagon let in too much exhaust noise for extended cruising. If I do any exhaust work on my GT wagon I will likely limit it to bits before the cat-back. Tom

The fujitsubo is at least visually appealing. Would be nice to see it on a car, or something about the same. I won't be changing my exhaust out til sometime probably next year anyhow at the earliest. To each their own. (Kevin can just speak to the hand. :lol: )

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Xenonk']you're missing the Blitz cat-back exhuasts (price is yet to be determined). Keefe[/quote] Hmm- any pix?

[quote name='Drift Monkey']So you're basically telling everyone to not get exhaust and go to driving school? Nice blanket statement...:roll: On the WRX, exhaust gave an upward of 25hp worth of gain (turbo back)...not exactly a small gain in my book. I know they aren't the same cars, but I would expect similar gains out of this motor. Reguardless, if a bit of sound is what people are looking for, let them have it. Not everyone thinks (or wants to think) they're going faster, they just need sound to help them dictate what rpm the engine is at. A throaty exhaust makes the car more enjoyable to some folks. I don't want a bunch of kids to rice these out as much as anyone, but with the group we have here, I think it might be kept to a minimum. :D[/quote] In terms of value, Skip Barber is much more valuable than an exhaust, this is true. I'm on the record as believing (and having stated previously) that anyone can do anything that they want to their car, from 20" chrome spinners to lighted washer nozzles, which will be a neat trick, given the location of the Legacy GT's nozzles. As I've said before, it's their car. But if we are talking about axle-back exhausts, something I believed to be the case, it's more sound, not more power, except as is measurable on a dyno. And the desirability of more sound is subjective. Some like it, and some don't. It is, however, necessary to understand what you're getting into. A cat-back on my WRX wagon, for example, took torque from the bottom while adding a bit more pull up top. Ultimately, the tradeoff, not to mention the increased noise, wasn't worth it for me. A turbo-back system...the jury is out on gains for the Legacy GT. What I do know is that my stock WRX wagon was fully capable of pulling and/or keeping up with WRXes with turbo-backs, something I credit to the Skip Barbered-up driver, as much as the car, which was admittedly, fast for a stock WRX, legend has it. The trick is not to automatically presume disparagement. If you have a kilobuck, which is something approaching the price of a nice, light, high-quality stainless steel dual exhaust setup for the Legacy GT, yes, I believe that more value is to be gained from driving school. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I don't think that anyone else should either. The Legacy GT is a lot of car. I'm still getting to know mine, and we can all benefit from improved driving skills. People who have taken the course (driving and/or racing) know what I'm talking about. My style, and I think that most people have been on this board long enough to know my style, is not flaming or disparagement, so these things should not be presumed when I do post. Am I a proponent of "mod the driver, not the car?" Absolutely. Does that mean anyone who mods their car instead of going to driving school is a dummy? No. There is a rather yawning conceptual gulf between the two. Admittedly, however, that gulf gets a lot shorter if we presume castigation and/or disparagement. This board is about sharing advice and information. If said advice or information proffered doesn't jibe with what someone wants to hear, that doesn't mean that information might not be of value to someone, or worth considering by someone. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Helfrick']Yeah, driving skills are kewl, but you know a leggy would look dope dressed out like this: [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Rice/Rice3.jpg[/img][/quote] Werd Nukka- Blang blang Yo!!!1

Archived