LegacyGT.com

2007 Clutch, Pressure plate and flywheel in my 2005?

Dark-V

Well, at 76,000 miles, my clutch has gone south. The car's not driveable until I put in some new stuff.

I've spoken to Jeremy at FredBeansParts and he has confirmed that I can use the 2007 Legacy GT Pressure plate, clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing on my 2005 Legacy GT.

I know people have used the 2006+ WRX parts in the 05 Legacy GTs, but I just wanted to be 100% certain from you guys here. Read a bunch of threads about how 2007+ LGTs share the same flywheels as the 06+ WRXs.

Just want to be certain before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!!

Dark-V - Just so you know, the dual-mass is only very slightly heavier than the single-mass. Granted, I don't know where that mass lies (i.e. is it towards the center or towards the outside rim of the flywheel), but I would not expect alot of difference in engine revving.

You can use the 07+ setup. You can also use the 06+ WRX setup, they should be almost identical.

If you plan on tuning at all, it might be a good time to pick-up a heavier duty clutch. But that's totally up to you.

Joe

From what I can tell, not only is the dual mass flywheel heavier, it's also a LOT more expensive. An OEM clutch kit with dual mass flywheel is over $700 from Fred Beans. The 07+ kit with single mass flywheel is DEFINITELY not that expensive.

There may or may not be an added performance benefit to having a lighter flywheel, but it's going to change out the clutch feels and works, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks for confirming that all the 2007 parts are going to work!! Time to order soon!

• 1 year later...

i just bought the 2007 clutch kit from fred beans and took it to my mechanic for them to install... only for them to freak out and say it's not going to fit because the new clutch is thicker than the old one and the fitment is going to be off...

have you had any issues with this? is the single mass flywheel thinner than the dual mass that compensates for the difference in thickness? i told him i would do some research and get back to him whether to just go ahead and proceed or not.

i just bought a 07 wrx clutch kit/single mass and stood the two setups next to each other. the flywheel on the dual mass is obviously thicker but the pressure plate of the single mass should sit up high and make up that difference. it will be fine as long as they are about the same overall "thickness"

• 3 weeks later...
i just bought the 2007 clutch kit from fred beans and took it to my mechanic for them to install... only for them to freak out and say it's not going to fit because the new clutch is thicker than the old one and the fitment is going to be off...

have you had any issues with this? is the single mass flywheel thinner than the dual mass that compensates for the difference in thickness? i told him i would do some research and get back to him whether to just go ahead and proceed or not.

I am assuming everything did fit correctly? I have read numerous threads and I know it will work but I just got off the phone with the shop and they were freaking out as well. Just thought I would ask.

as long as you're using the single mass flywheel along with the 07 clutch kit, it all fits fine. the pedal is much lighter (leg doesn't cramp anymore during rush hour). i also took it to another shop, because that mechanic that said it wouldn't fit is obviously incompetent.

i'm very happy with the new clutch/flywheel set up.

Yeah I assume I got the same kit you did from Fred Beans. As a lot of other people have said they were super helpful and answered all of my questions. The problem is the tranny blew on 95 on the way back to Richmond from DC. The dealership was the closest place to get it towed. This is already costing me a lot of money and I just can't justify spending more money getting it towed to Richmond or DC. We'll see. Thanks for the response and I'll post something about how it all goes.

Yeah it was my fault. I heard the throw out bearing starting to go about a year and a half ago and I rode on it for wayyyyy too long. The throw out bearing crapped out finally and the input shaft on the tranny was snapped off. That led to everything inside getting mangled. The mechanic has pictures and I will try to get them up here. I sourced a used tranny in Oregon and bought the 2007 clutch kit from Fred Beans.

Lesson for those that are reading, if you start to hear your throw out bearing go, don't freak out but you might want to get it replaced sooner than later just in case.

I'm hearing the same grinding sound. I have been getting this mild grinding sound for almost last 8k miles. got worst last week. Can I drive few hundreds at least? how much fredbeans clutch kit

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-2007-2010-legacy-gt-clutch-kit-with-flywheel.html

Will this be the part.

Can someone suggest a good mechanic around falls church va area.

Urgent.

Thanks in advance

Most expensive car problem I have ever had and hopefully will ever have.

Bala84 - How many miles do you have on the current clutch? I would make sure the noise is actually the throw out bearing.

Watch this video - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

The noise would change when I pressed the clutch in.

The throw out bearing is only $50 so it makes sense to look into replacing the clutch if it is time. You may also need a flywheel depending on the condition.

As far as shops in the DC area I have used Mach V in Sterling near the Costco and alot of people like I believe it is IAG up in Maryland.

I have around 67k miles on it. The noise has grown loud. So I stopped driving after seeing your message. Placed the order in fredbeans, thinking of taking it to DPS. Mach V is booked until 28th it seems.

I had this mild grinding sound when I bought the car, the previous owner said its tight belt in winter which stops when it gets running. Indeed, it did. Slowly this became noiser and stopped for like 2 months. Now, its loud enough to scare me that something is wrong idiot.

How much was the clutch kit priced and labor, when u changed them?

I'm hearing the same grinding sound. I have been getting this mild grinding sound for almost last 8k miles. got worst last week. Can I drive few hundreds at least? how much fredbeans clutch kit

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-2007-2010-legacy-gt-clutch-kit-with-flywheel.html

Will this be the part.

Can someone suggest a good mechanic around falls church va area.

Urgent.

Thanks in advance

Call then and verify the included flywheel is a single mass one. That's an amazing good price if yhou want to go with a stock set up.

I believe they have a toll free number.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got the car back on Friday and everything is running wonderfully. It does rev a little faster but not a lot and it is hardly noticeable. I had also read a detailed description/conversation about inertia and how the dual mass flywheel had more of it. It was stated that this would help out with not having to downshift as much when going up a hill or trying to pass. I have noticed this but only slightly. There were a few times that I had to downshift sooner than I did with the dual mass. Overall it runs great and I would recommend this set up to anyone.

Bala84 - The dealership charged me around $800 for labor, you see the price for the clutch kit, and $1400 for the used transmission.

Archived