LegacyGT.com

2000 Subaru outback starting issue - please help

My 2000 Subaru Outback started having this issue a few weeks ago. I have attached two videos. One video you can hear the issue when I try to start it. The second video is after I get it started ...it will repeatedly start fine. The photo is the flywheel when I took the original starter off.

Initially I thought it was the starter going out, but after replacing with a new starter the issue persisted. The new starter was tested so I know it works and is not a dud. Then I thought it was the battery, but all voltages check including the voltage from the ignition to the coil. 12V from the battery and 11.43v from the ignition cable when you turn the key.

Looking at the photo of the flywheel you can see fresh wear on the face of the teeth. It looks like the starter is popping out and spinning against the edge of the flywheel, but not engaging into the flywheel. We had the full clutch system replaced late last year. Could something be wrong with the flywheel that would cause this to happen? I am looking for any ideas or thoughts on this. Thanks.

The starter teeth are beveled on the end so that when it engages, it will slide into the teeth on the flywheel. The first video is classic starter grinding, usually when a the gear comes out too far past or not far enough to touch the flywheel. My dad and I bought a Cadillac from auction that would catch only about 20% of the time. When we pulled the starter we noticed it was for a Cadillac DTS, we has a Cadillac Deville DHS. Ordered the correct starter and it worked every time. Though the starters looked the same, they had different gears.

If you aren't the original owner, I'd verify that the transmission wasn't replaced with another model. It's more common than you think for that swap to happen and the starter and flywheel need to match the transmission. It is easy to determine, just Google search the PN on the white label on the top or side of bell housing and see what it decodes to.

If it is the right starter, right flywheel, and right transmission, you have a shimming issue, which is common for remanufactured starters. That is why your flywheel looks like it does.

After a long conversation with my Subaru mechanic (solo ...not dealer) we decided the only thing it could be is another bad starter. I got another one from Autozone today and installed it. This one looked different from the other two. So far so good with this one. What an ordeal this has been.

Archived