LegacyGT.com

Will a 2000 ej25 fit in my 1998 legacy gt?

I almost never do that with mine. I did get it all muddy just not to long ago because I went out to some property my parents own and it is a really muddy dirt road this time of the year. That was pretty fun to go through though!

Sure it's not piston slap? I've had it for the 2+ years I've owned the car and it sounds terrible some times. I don't burn any oil and the car runs great at heavy loads on the highway.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

It will fit. Subaru designed all EJ25's and EJ22's with the same engine mounts and transmission bolt patten for all years of production. The only thing you need is the computer from the 2000 engine.

The head gaskets are different because (I assume) they tried to fix the head gasket issues. Pre-2000 EJ25's would blow head gaskets allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. Post-2000 engines didn't suffer from the same problem, but they did suffer from head gaskets that would blow and allow coolant to leak onto the ground. They fixed the head gaskets leaking into the cylinders, but they created a leak that allows coolant to spill onto the ground.

99 and older is a twin cam 2.5L, 00 and up is a single cam 2.5L... the engines are interchangeable but many components will not swap. i'm personally not a fan of single cam engines. i know they both have their problems, but why subaru went to a single design is beyond me. they feel like they have less torque.

right from the site: 2.5-liter 170-hp SOHC aluminum alloy 16-valve horizontally opposed SUBARU BOXER engine

i'm not quite sure why they did that. dohc is the way to go, and as far as your site scoobygt, I think that was for the JDM engine. not sure about specifics, but maybe they ran the DOHC for longer?

hmm i wonder what year motor i have....how can i check..... i have coolent on top of my block...i replaced the outlet o rings with diff automotive rings but same side leaked... do you think im leaking antifreeze out my headgasket...casue then maybe its the 2000+ motor. sorry off topic nvm... but how do you check the year of the motor

The second gen Legacy had a DOHC 2.5L. The second gen GT motor was called the EJ25D.

All third gen Legacy's regardless of trim level had the same engine, a SOHC 2.5L. The third gen motor was called the EJ251.

The DOHC EJ25D in the 1996 Legacy was less powerful than the EJ25D from 1997-1999, which had revised cylinder heads. The power output of the 1997-1999 EJ25D was 165 HP and 162 ft/lbs of torque at 4,000 RPM.

The SOHC EJ251 from the 2000-2004 Legacy had the same 165 HP power rating, but an improved 167 ft/lbs of torque at the same 4,000 RPM than it's predecessor. That's 5 more ft/lbs at the same engine speed from the SOHC design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25

In conclusion.....

1996-1999 = DOHC EJ25D - 165HP - 162 ft/lbs @ 4,000 RPM (Except 1996 which had less power and torque)

2000-2004 = SOHC EJ251 - 165HP - 167 ft/lbs @ 4,000 RPM

My guess as to why the torque difference?

Less rotating mass, different engine electronics, different cam profiles, different combustion chamber design. DOHC engines aren't an end all, sometimes they can hinder performance and throttle response. Reciprocating mass with rocker arms contributes to crisp throttle response by trading rotating mass for reciprocating mass, which has virtually no inertia compared to an extra pair of camshafts. Not only that, but the profile of a camshaft has a bigger impact on performance as opposed to how many camshafts an engine has. Just look at the small block Chevy... You can make a 600 HP Chevy 350 small block that has only 1 camshaft in the entire engine, that's well over 100HP/liter without forced induction. The primary advantage to DOHCs are the control you have over timing (Be it fixed or variable) and the advantageous layout of the combustion chamber. Semi-hemispherical combustion chambers and pentroof combustion chambers with a centrally mounted spark plug are more efficient and easier to make with dual camshafts, but they are possible with SOHC's. The only downside is the spark plug must usually thread into the engine at an angle, sometimes not in the center of the combustion chamber. It is also easier to make a symmetrical combustion chamber with DOHC's, because you don't need to have rocker arms getting in the way of spark plug location. Symmetrical combustion chambers reduce the risk of hot spots, which can cause engine knock.

thanks platinum! still learning, but had a feeling it was because of the reciprocating rocker arms having less inertia. I'm in physics right now, I love it :)

good luck scooby! should be an adventure worth it

Archived