LegacyGT.com

2.5 DOHC timing belt help

Bought a Legacy Outback with broken timing belt (bent valves) 2.5 DOHC

I have it all back together less timing belt and need help. If I get the mark on the crank in the right position can I now spin the cams to the right marks without worrying about smashing a valve? Not sure if any pistons are at TDC when crank is positioned? And will the cams stay in that position or do I need the 'special' tool to hold them there? I am stuck and after spending tons of money on getting the heads done I dont want to spin the cams without being sure I will not crash anything. I think I should have checked the piston positions before installing the heads but I figure someone else must have run into this same issue? Please help, would like to get this back together soon!

Thanks, Chris

http://www.legacygt.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

'96 Outback, 2.5 L., DOHC

The cam gears(not plastic, a type of alloy metal that will break very easily) come off by removing the 17mm bolt in the middle of them. They are normal threaded. You will need a cam holder tool, that will lock the cams together so you can loosen the bolts and will also help time the cams. I dont' know how far you are as of right now, but there are things to becareful of, so that you don't bend valves. With the crank gear lined up to it's mark, the pistons are half way on all 4 cylinders. Don't worry about TDC for any cyl, just make sure the crank gear is lined with it's mark. If you haven't taken the t-belt off yet, with the crank gear lined up the left bank (right side as you look at front of engine) cams will be loaded (valves opened),, the right bank will not be. You need to be careful because when you take the belt off, and the gears unload in the wrong direction you can bend the valves. You want to turn the top left gear counterclock wise, and the bottom left gear clockwise, to unload them. Then lock the cam gears to remove the bolts. Replace the seals and then put the gears back on and torque to about 65ft lbs. Then line your right bank cams as following. The top gear has to marks ( a single line, and a double line). The single line goes at 12 0'clock, and that will put the double lines to 6 o'clock. The bottom gear also has the sams markings, only offset. Set the double lines to 12 o'clock which should line up with the double line on the top gear, and the single line should be pointing to 9 o'clock. Then set you left bank top gear same way, you will feel tension because it will be opening valves. Then set the bottom gear same way as the right side, only this time the single line will be facing 3 o'clock. NOTE: Remember to turn the cam gears the opposite way you unloaded them. Then with a new timing belt, you will see 1 dotted line, and 4 solid lines. Set the dashed line on the crank gear mark, with the words on the belt reading left to right. Then align the right bank cam gears with the solid line on the belt, and then do the same for the left side. You will need to use a mirror to see the lines on the bottom 2 gears. NOTE: Lines on belt, must match lines on gears or damage will occur. Finish putting the belt around the rest of the pulleys and your all set. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
'96 Outback, 2.5 L., DOHC

The cam gears(not plastic, a type of alloy metal that will break very easily) come off by removing the 17mm bolt in the middle of them. They are normal threaded. You will need a cam holder tool, that will lock the cams together so you can loosen the bolts and will also help time the cams. I dont' know how far you are as of right now, but there are things to becareful of, so that you don't bend valves. With the crank gear lined up to it's mark, the pistons are half way on all 4 cylinders. Don't worry about TDC for any cyl, just make sure the crank gear is lined with it's mark. If you haven't taken the t-belt off yet, with the crank gear lined up the left bank (right side as you look at front of engine) cams will be loaded (valves opened),, the right bank will not be. You need to be careful because when you take the belt off, and the gears unload in the wrong direction you can bend the valves. You want to turn the top left gear counterclock wise, and the bottom left gear clockwise, to unload them. Then lock the cam gears to remove the bolts. Replace the seals and then put the gears back on and torque to about 65ft lbs. Then line your right bank cams as following. The top gear has to marks ( a single line, and a double line). The single line goes at 12 0'clock, and that will put the double lines to 6 o'clock. The bottom gear also has the sams markings, only offset. Set the double lines to 12 o'clock which should line up with the double line on the top gear, and the single line should be pointing to 9 o'clock. Then set you left bank top gear same way, you will feel tension because it will be opening valves. Then set the bottom gear same way as the right side, only this time the single line will be facing 3 o'clock. NOTE: Remember to turn the cam gears the opposite way you unloaded them. Then with a new timing belt, you will see 1 dotted line, and 4 solid lines. Set the dashed line on the crank gear mark, with the words on the belt reading left to right. Then align the right bank cam gears with the solid line on the belt, and then do the same for the left side. You will need to use a mirror to see the lines on the bottom 2 gears. NOTE: Lines on belt, must match lines on gears or damage will occur. Finish putting the belt around the rest of the pulleys and your all set. I hope this helps.

This is awesome. I printed it out for the job. BUT....make sure you warn people. When you describe location and direction you are talking from the perspective of sitting int he drivers seat. If you read the car manuel it gives you cam directions as if you were looking straight at them. This can be confusing if you read it fast. Just wanted to clarify for people.

Archived