LegacyGT.com

2.5 to a 2.0 twin turbo

I have a 2.5 liter engine but its pretty slow and isnt living up to its engine size so i wanted to upgrade to a 2.0 twin turbo, is it possible to put that engine into a 1998 subaru legacy gt without breaking the bank to much

How big is your bank?

You will need the engine, wiring harness, ecu and appropriate transaxle (anto or manual).

Budget between US$2000 - $4000 for a JDM EJ20 twin turbo from , a WRX STI engine would be in the $5000 - $8000 range.

Labor should be 20 - 30hrs to make the swap, and another 5hrs to properly tune. Labor rate should be $50-$60/hour.

Also, you should make sure the install can be DOT approved if you live in the US.

Check this link:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?Part%2520Type=Engines%2520%2526%2520Components&Engine%2520%2526%2520Components%2520Part%2520Type=Complete%2520Engines&_nkw=subaru+ej20&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

you chose

How big is your bank?

You will need the engine, wiring harness, ecu and appropriate transaxle (anto or manual).

Budget between US$2000 - $4000 for a JDM EJ20 twin turbo from , a WRX STI engine would be in the $5000 - $8000 range.

Labor should be 20 - 30hrs to make the swap, and another 5hrs to properly tune. Labor rate should be $50-$60/hour.

Also, you should make sure the install can be DOT approved if you live in the US.

Check this link:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?Part%2520Type=Engines%2520%2526%2520Components&Engine%2520%2526%2520Components%2520Part%2520Type=Complete%2520Engines&_nkw=subaru+ej20&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

you chose

Ok. There's this idea floating round your head, something about putting a twin turbo in your car...

Take that idea, and set it on the ground, then pour some petrol on it, set it on fire, grab an AK-47 and start shooting it till there's nothing left.

Mmmmmm K?

There are so many reasons you shouldn't put a twin turbo in your car i'm not even going to bother. And the reasons you should? i can think of only two. "It's mad tyte JDM" and "But it's TWIN turbo!" Neither are valid.

Now, something i highly recomend you do do. Find a V3, 4, 5, or 6 STi Engine. These are EJ20K's between 96 and 98 for the Version 3 and 4, or EJ207's between 98 and 2000 for the V5/6. These engines are the same generation's as the twin turbo's, and are basically the same engines. Except they are better, and single turbo. The 96-98 EJ20K is the BG/BD generation, and are OBD-I. THe V5/6 98-00 are the pre face lift BE/BH generation, and are OBD-II.

I have a 2.5 liter engine but its pretty slow and isnt living up to its engine size so i wanted to upgrade to a 2.0 twin turbo, is it possible to put that engine into a 1998 subaru legacy gt without breaking the bank to much

It wont fit, the reason the EJ20TT was only used in the Jap cars is because they are right hand drive thus leaving more room for the motor. Our cars being left hand drive don't have the room for that engine. The EJ20TT was also down tuned and sold in Australia.

I'd go with a WRX or a STi swap.

Subidude24

it will fit I know personally you just have to have a butt ton of custom piping made to make the smaller turbo have any clearance , the twin turbo is a dream of mine also, but more realistically you have 2 options

1. if you have a speed shop that knows what they are doing they may be able to do it for you custom piping and all that is major bucks!!

2. a single turbo front clip (wrx) will be all you need if you are mechanically inclined that is

It depends:

Short Ram Intake- No power gain Kills your acceleration

FULL Cold Air intake- 5-10hp "Depending on the Engine" Which is unnoticeable but is there non the less and will help a little off the line, not really noticeable but again still there

I've put in a full custom cai on mine drawing cold air from the fog light area. noticeable improvements in throttle response, acceleration, and sound (very unique). do yours up right, and you'll probably notice something too; I have yet to get mine dynoed though. The 2.2 is running better though :D

yes you will notice a BIG difference in noise with an intake on a Subaru, noise threw the intake that is not the exhaust. and I hate to tell you my Friend but any Noticeable difference with your intake is in your head. I've spent allot of time dynoing cars including mine, and an intake will not make that much difference on a 4 cylinder engine. Not to say you shouldn't get one just don't go bragging to real car guys about it or there gonna laugh at ya

Archived