LegacyGT.com

Anyone think the new Legacy GT needs more horsepower?

I keep hearing how fast this car is, but I am skeptical. It weighs 3300 lbs. only has 250 hp. Plus, the AWD system saps a lot of power going to the wheels. Someone dynoed the turbo model at like 202 hp. at the wheels. That’s pretty low. I don’t see this car doing much better than high 14’s in the quarter mile. This car needs the WRX STi engine! I’d easily pay another $5,000 for the STi engine and drivetrain. I am coming from a modified Mustang GT. My car dynoed at 250 rwhp. / 292 rwtq. SAE corrected and runs 13.6 @ 102 mph in the quarter mile. It also weighs about 3400 lbs. Now, I am not saying the new Legacy needs to be this fast, but I just think it’s a little low on power for my liking. Everything else about the car I really like. Do you forsee any viable power mods. coming out for this car? Can you safely run more boost for more power? This car is at least 30 hp. short in my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that if this car is NOT fast enough for you, then you are most certainly not looking in the right segment. You should probably just buy an STi. I think the car is plenty fast. Feels as fast as my slightly modded WRX. The car is meant to be a touring car, not a straight line drag car. I have had no problems getting the car to move faster than I actually needed it to. Should expect the car to do 14's flat in the 1/4 mile once someone has enough disregard to drop the clutch from about 5K rpms.

[quote name='Mono']I keep hearing how fast this car is, but I am skeptical. It weighs 3300 lbs. only has 250 hp. Plus, the AWD system saps a lot of power going to the wheels. Someone dynoed the turbo model at like 202 hp. at the wheels. That’s pretty low. I don’t see this car doing much better than high 14’s in the quarter mile. This car needs the WRX STi engine! I’d easily pay another $5,000 for the STi engine and drivetrain. I am coming from a modified Mustang GT. My car dynoed at 250 rwhp. / 292 rwtq. SAE corrected and runs 13.6 @ 102 mph in the quarter mile. It also weighs about 3400 lbs. Now, I am not saying the new Legacy needs to be this fast, but I just think it’s a little low on power for my liking. Everything else about the car I really like. Do you forsee any viable power mods. coming out for this car? Can you safely run more boost for more power? This car is at least 30 hp. short in my opinion.[/quote] The L-GT on paper is very close to the previous gen Audi S4, only difference being the Audi was a 6cyl Bi-turbo. I've never heard complaints of the S4 being "slow". Also, this is a sedan pkg., not a sports coupe. As for the dyno #'s, this is an AWD!!!! Typically #'s AT THE WHEELS for an AWD will be lower than #'s registered on a FWD or RWD. Actually Subaru UNDER-STATED its HP at the crank, its more in the range of 260-270hp. :twisted: I'm sure there will be alot of after-mkt. support for the L, as it is sold in Japan as well. Personally I think the availability will be less than the WRX/STi due to its projected demographics, but certainly enough to satisfy everyone.

What car couldn't? :lol: The Legacy is a low 14 second car out of the box and adding power to the extent you are discussing should be very easy. I had a 2000 S4 and it is amazing how that car was the sh!t and now you can get the same (or better) perforamance all around for so much less.

Yes, I realize the dyno numbers are the measurement at the wheels. That's what concerns me. The hp. at the wheels is what matters. I don't car how much flywheel hp. a car makes, it's all about how the flywheel hp. is transferred to the road. And AWD vehicles typically waste more hp. from the flywheel to the wheels/road. As for being a drag car, I know the Legacy is not intended for this. I simply know that 1/4 mi time and mph is a good measure for a car's speed/power ability. To be clear, I am less interested in dyno numbers and more interested in real life 1/4 mi. times. If this car is truly capable of 14 second runs in stock form, then I think I will be happy with this car. I don't plan on drag racing it, but I can at least know it has the potential to be a high 13 sec. car with some mods. Reasons why I don't want WRX STi: - smaller backseat (I have child) - can't order car without the stupid wing - rough ride The inability to order the car without the wing is what really kills it for me.

Hope I didn't come off as trying to flame you because it was not my intention. I simply wanted to convey that I (having come from a modded WRX) am more than happy with the performance of the car. It is faster than the stock WRX hands down. Dyno numbers have also shown that the car is underrated in torque. Factor in that I can fill the wagon full of gear and use it for utility, but still smoke 9/10ths of the cars on the road and I think that we have ourselves a true winner. Oh, and don't even get me started on price.. the GT is a steal! ;)

If you get the STi, a ton of WRX owners would be willing to swap you their naked trunks for your trunk with the big wing. You could even make some money on the swap. The only way to see if the Leg GT is fast enough for you is to test drive one. I was skeptical, test drove one (5MT), and had a smile on my face all day long. Aftermarket support for USDM Leg GT power mods will come, but not for a while because the engine configuration is different than the WRX, STi and Forester XT. Eventually, bolt on mods (uppipe, downpipe, reflash ECU) should be able to net significant power gains over stock (see Ecutek or Cobb AccessECU dynos for the STi and Forester XT).

[quote name='Mono']I keep hearing how fast this car is, but I am skeptical. It weighs 3300 lbs. only has 250 hp. Plus, the AWD system saps a lot of power going to the wheels. Someone dynoed the turbo model at like 202 hp. at the wheels. That’s pretty low. I don’t see this car doing much better than high 14’s in the quarter mile. This car needs the WRX STi engine! I’d easily pay another $5,000 for the STi engine and drivetrain. I am coming from a modified Mustang GT. My car dynoed at 250 rwhp. / 292 rwtq. SAE corrected and runs 13.6 @ 102 mph in the quarter mile. It also weighs about 3400 lbs. Now, I am not saying the new Legacy needs to be this fast, but I just think it’s a little low on power for my liking. Everything else about the car I really like. Do you forsee any viable power mods. coming out for this car? Can you safely run more boost for more power? This car is at least 30 hp. short in my opinion.[/quote] Why don't you go drive one and THEN decide if it needs more HP? Personally I think another 30-40HP and the car would be perfect as long as there's no turbo lag. (not that it's slow now)

Given the choice, I would prefer more controlled and responsive handling before more power. If we are lucky this is fixable with STi, JDM, Prodrive, etc. springs. If greater acceleration is required I would add power at a later date. IMO the compliance of the stock setup would be out of balance with additional power. Tom edit...an additional 30 hp sounds about right to keep things interesting.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Hope I didn't come off as trying to flame you because it was not my intention. I simply wanted to convey that I (having come from a modded WRX) am more than happy with the performance of the car. It is faster than the stock WRX hands down. Dyno numbers have also shown that the car is underrated in torque. Factor in that I can fill the wagon full of gear and use it for utility, but still smoke 9/10ths of the cars on the road and I think that we have ourselves a true winner. Oh, and don't even get me started on price.. the GT is a steal! ;)[/quote] No, I didn't take it as a flame. You are right about the price on the GT. For me, I don't think I would fork over the additional $2,000 for the leather, moonroof, and dual climate contral. I liked the seats in the GT and I can do without moonroofs. I'd miss the dual climate control maybe. I wish seat memory and HID's where an option. With the money I save on not buying the LTD, I can put towards more horsepower. I haven't driven one yet, but I sat in one last weekend. I thought this car looked much better in person. I originally planned on replacing the wheels if I bought this car, but I actually liked them once I got up close. The inteiror is excellent. Subaru did a nice job on this car overall. I'm just a gearhead that likes fast cars. That's why I wish it had a little more power. Do you really think someone would swap trunks with me if I bought an STi?

[quote name='Mono']Do you really think someone would swap trunks with me if I bought an STi?[/quote] People would pay money to swap for an STi trunk with wing. Also, the GT non-Ltd. comes with dual climate control. The website and brochure are wrong. That's been confirmed by a number of people on this site.

One of the dealers here in Indy said they could swap the WRX spoiler with the STi or even remove the spoiler completely.. Also, if you have a kid, the STi may not be the best car for you. I BRIEFLY considered it but after seeing how rough the ride is (sports suspension) and the raw power that throws you back in the seat, I was worried about giving my baby brain damage!

The car has nice power for what it is. I enjoy the feel of merging into the interstate in 3rd gear and feeling the torque pull the car throught 3rd and 4th and into 5th and then look in the rear view mirror and see how far you have gone. I think someone on Cobbs site has talked about a cat back system that well add, I can't belive this, 70 HP. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I spoke with the guys at Cobb Tuning. They think that they will offer a 319 hp performance kit for the car. It won't be available for a few months. They said that the more people that bug them about the upgrades, the faster they will get the work done. I found this over on [url]www.i-club.com[/url]

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Chill out on the more horsepower comment. Be happy we even got 250HP! The old top-of-the-line Legacy had what, 165HP??? :D I think you should just drive it. It's not supposed to be an STi, but it still does the job well.
-ben

Probably the catback and Accessport tuning.. Stage 1 on the WRX gets an additional 40hp? And that's without the downpipe. If the Legacy is underrated (as it appears) then I could see 317hp being feasible. Might be a bit much for most people, but it is probably feasible.

3300lbs is heavy? The AWD Eclipse/Talon weighed 3300lbs and could be coaxed to a 14.80 with 195 measly hp. 250 hp (and more importantly, torque) is enough to run low 14s. Since I'm not one to cling to electronic tweaks just to add a few extra psi, my trust MBC will be adding 2-3 extra psi for more peak power as well as more power throughout the rpm range (no monkeying with the boost levels by the ECU). My v6 twin turbo weighs 4070 lbs with me in it, yet with only half a liter more displacement than a LGT it manages to run 12.50s.

I'm the one that had the dyno run for 202whp, and a few days before, I had uhh, a run in with a Mustang MachI.....We did it from a roll in 3rd from about 65mph, and until well into 4th gear, like 6k rpms, he walked me by about 3-4 cars initally, and then the distance stabilized til about 110-115mph! I would say that this makes the car respectable? For anyone wondering why I would pick on a MachI, I initially thought it was just a GT, until I realized that the Blue paint, and shaker hood scoop was only available on MACHI's.... but it was worth it to see how bad I would lose, and I don't think the legacy did too bad? I personally am also waiting for mods to become available, that's why I did a baseline dyno.

[quote name='John M']3300lbs is heavy? The AWD Eclipse/Talon weighed 3300lbs and could be coaxed to a 14.80 with 195 measly hp. 250 hp (and more importantly, torque) is enough to run low 14s. Since I'm not one to cling to electronic tweaks just to add a few extra psi, my trust MBC will be adding 2-3 extra psi for more peak power as well as more power throughout the rpm range (no monkeying with the boost levels by the ECU). My v6 twin turbo weighs 4070 lbs with me in it, yet with only half a liter more displacement than a LGT it manages to run 12.50s.[/quote] Ok, how much horsepower does your 4070 lb car have? 3300 is a little heavy for only 250 hp. The hp. to weight ratio is critcal to owning a fast car. The '05 G35 is 277hp and weighs 3400 lbs. in 6MT form. Gearing is also a huge factor in quickness. Maybe the new Legacy is geared well. Based on it's marginal MPG ratings, I'm guessing the gearing is set up for sporty driving.

More horsepower? :lol: :lol: :lol: For what goal? I don't, and never will understand the quest for more horsepower. Buy an STi. It has plenty of horsepower, and is moddable for plenty more. Plenty of folks would be willing to swap trunks with you. If cost is no object, that Audi S4 is niiiice. Careful with using an MBC on current generation Subarus. WRXes and STis don't like 'em. There have been some engines that have gone "boom." In all seriousness, the question to ask is what would you do with the extra horsepower? Would it make the GT faster? Sure, but there'd still be plenty of faster cars. Would it make the GT less refined with more turbo lag? Yup, because the way to get more hp from a 4-banger (presuming it's done by the manufacturer) is more boost from a bigger turbo, which will hit later and last longer, like the STi. You could also strap blowers to a bigger motor, such as the rumored H6 turbo, but that starts getting spendy. As far as Mustang GTs, know this: One tried to get the hole shot on me the other night (people don't respect wagons at all), coming up on the right to jump a long line of traffic, which I hate. I'm guessing it was an automatic, because I walked it like a schnauzer in my MT GT wagon. Drive a broken-in example. You will be very pleasantly surprised. But be aware that it won't FEEL fast. I can only tell by either looking at the speedometer, or watching the cars behind me recede into the distance. Oh...welcome to the board. It's usually a nice place. Kevin

[quote name='edmundu']I'm the one that had the dyno run for 202whp, and a few days before, I had uhh, a run in with a Mustang MachI.....We did it from a roll in 3rd from about 65mph, and until well into 4th gear, like 6k rpms, he walked me by about 3-4 cars initally, and then the distance stabilized til about 110-115mph! I would say that this makes the car respectable? For anyone wondering why I would pick on a MachI, I initially thought it was just a GT, until I realized that the Blue paint, and shaker hood scoop was only available on MACHI's.... but it was worth it to see how bad I would lose, and I don't think the legacy did too bad? I personally am also waiting for mods to become available, that's why I did a baseline dyno.[/quote] Since you asked if you lost to badly, I will respond. 3-4 car lenghts is a lot. The only reason you likely caught up was because the Mach 1 stopped racing. Those cars weigh 3400 lbs., come with 3.55 rear end gearing, AND 300+ hp/300 + tq. They run mid. to low 13's in stock form. In Subaru terms, you basically raced a WRX STi.

Archived