LegacyGT.com

18G upgrade, anyone have one?

hello all, I just got in the mail today my BNR Supercars 18G turbo and was wondering if anyone else is running this turbo with otherwise stock configuration? What do you guys think?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/XJHERO/turb-2.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/XJHERO/turb.jpg

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one but I'm far from stock. And I'm in Md! :)

AVO inlet

DW 850 injectors

Walbro 255 Fuel pump

Grimmspeed UP with EWG

RacerX FMIC

Invidia Catless DP

Magnaflow CB

Grimmspeed EBCS

K&N typhoon

Guess that's the majority of the important parts.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

yeah, this was a necessity upgrade when I turned my factory unit into the equivalent of a blender full of nails... Im on a serious budget so I basically have the turbo and oil feed line from infamous and intend on just getting an e-tune until funds for a FMIC, injectors and a bunch of exhaust goodies are available... just outta curiosity, what kinda power are you making 01rs25?
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Depends on your mods, if all stock currently you will not notice the hit in spool you would take if you were currently stg 2. With a tune alone typically I see stg 1 like midrange and stg 2ish topend. Essentially feel like a stg 1 STi in terms of power.

With Supporting modifications I put down 300wheel on a mustang dyno. Very happy thus far. Wish I went bigger, but then again that always happens.

VF40<VF52<16G<VF39<18G<20g<FPGreen<etc....

The 18g is the limit and about as far as I would go on a stock motor. From there up at least pistons are necessary IMHO.

I'm looking at building a block I have laying around. With more HP comes more broken parts, more $$$ and much more aggravation.

I wish I went with something different as well. Spool up on the BNR 18 is late and power isn't what I was expecting.

What did you end up making? I have road tuned more than a few of these I have yet to feel unimpressed. On E85 these things are really monsters...like just under 400whp.

What did you end up making? I have road tuned more than a few of these I have yet to feel unimpressed. On E85 these things are really monsters...like just under 400whp.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/sc00651c56.jpg

I would have been happy with 350/350 considering my mod list...

Dotted line is my stage 2 protune that I had there.

The car is fun, don't get me wrong but considering I only really picked up 50hp and 20ft/lbs. I'm not to terribly impressed. Maybe it's the tune or the gas that it was tuned on. I wish I had e85 available to me.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/sc00651c56.jpg

I would have been happy with 350/350 considering my mod list...

Dotted line is my stage 2 protune that I had there.

The car is fun, don't get me wrong but considering I only really picked up 50hp and 20ft/lbs. I'm not to terribly impressed. Maybe it's the tune or the gas that it was tuned on. I wish I had e85 available to me.

I don't see a dotted line but 350/350, not gonna happen on an 18g and pump gas. The 320-330 range is about the norm, possibly 350 TQ. Typically should be about a 75whp bump give or take a few from stg 2. So your results are a bit down, even your graph is a bit odd as you are making peak power at the end of the pull.

For a ~$1,000 budget turbo, you can't beat it. It's reliable, effective, and half the price of a larger "brand name" turbo.

Mods are essentially:

BNR billet 18G

Catless UP

Cobb Catted DP

Borla Catback

AVO Top Mount

AVO Inlet Hose

SPT intake

Walbro Fuelpump

Deatschwerks 850 cc injectors

Cobb AP tuned by EFILogics

It is a Deadbolt, LGT style. One of the first avaiable upgrades. Bought this thing like in late 06...mid 07. Spool is bad, but mid range and top end are healthy. I am hoping E85 will help liven it up.....or atleast help me catch up to everyone else from the lag. :-)

It is a Deadbolt, LGT style. One of the first avaiable upgrades. Bought this thing like in late 06...mid 07. Spool is bad, but mid range and top end are healthy. I am hoping E85 will help liven it up.....or atleast help me catch up to everyone else from the lag. :-)

Your graph doesn't seem to terribly far off from the others that have been posted. I'm beginning to think the 18g in the factory style housing is just laggy in general when running pump fuel. Wish I had corn available here!!!

Infamous this generally what you've seen as well?

Your graph doesn't seem to terribly far off from the others that have been posted. I'm beginning to think the 18g in the factory style housing is just laggy in general when running pump fuel. Wish I had corn available here!!!

Infamous this generally what you've seen as well?

Remember he is TD06, I have had some spool at as low as 3000rpms. The billet variants really get moving. All the late spoolers usually are running headers and in most cases equal lengths. Generally the hit is felt at about 3800 while full boost is about 500 rpms before that.

Archived