LegacyGT.com

'15 Legacy vs Other Options

Based on the name of this forum I'm assuming this is where I should post this. I'm considering a loaded up '15 Legacy Limited for a daily driver - I live in the NE, so AWD is nice to have. Any idea how they compare to other sedans in the same basic class? For example, how about the Buick Regal turbo AWD, or one of the options from Ford like a Fusion AWD or even a Taurus SHO?

I'm looking at a CPO Ford Fusion Titanium in about 6 months.

Then there is the Chrysler 200 C/S AWD, and Regal Turbo AWD.

Notice the trend of all the AWD competitors being American.

I probably would not consider the Buick, but wouldn't have any reservations about the 200, Fusion or Legacy.

I do prefer the Fusion though.

As a fan of German sedans, I was guessing I might like the Opel Insignia-based Regal (I have 't seen one up close). Plus, the ecotec is supposed to be one of the best engines produced. The 47 different models of Fusion available makes my head hurt trying to figure out which one I'd want. Nice looking cars though. I'm guessing the Subaru AWD system would be superior to either of them.

I'm considering replacing my 13 base legacy with a 15 when my lease is up. AAlthoughi don't see any cars for 20k with awd so I'm looking at a fwd plus snow tire option. Axcord , Mazda 6 and Passat are on my list.

If you must have awd the fusion is a good comparison. The 200 seems smaller and Buicks are overpriced Chevy's IMO. The legacy is the best bang for buck but its nice that the new fusions have turbo, which is nice at my elevation.

As a fan of German sedans, I was guessing I might like the Opel Insignia-based Regal (I have 't seen one up close). Plus, the ecotec is supposed to be one of the best engines produced. The 47 different models of Fusion available makes my head hurt trying to figure out which one I'd want. Nice looking cars though. I'm guessing the Subaru AWD system would be superior to either of them.

If I were going Buick, it would have to be the Regal GS model specifically. I test drove it and it's an all around an impressive car. Then again I've drooled over the Insignia OPC since it was first revealed, so actually driving the American version was a cool moment.

Based on the name of this forum I'm assuming this is where I should post this. I'm considering a loaded up '15 Legacy Limited for a daily driver - I live in the NE, so AWD is nice to have. Any idea how they compare to other sedans in the same basic class? For example, how about the Buick Regal turbo AWD, or one of the options from Ford like a Fusion AWD or even a Taurus SHO?

Well, the 15 Legacy is probably the least attractive (overall, not looks) out of all of those cars. Nothing about the 15 Legacy really stands out over a Camry or Accord, except if has AWD. It's your basic A to B appliance.

The Regal GS is a nice car. I test drove a FWD 6mt model when they first came out. The performance is better than most in the segment, but nothing mind blowing.

The Fusion even in top trim is underpowered IMO. The Taurus SHO with the Performance Pack is supposed to be a relatively fun car to drive, but as with most FWD based AWD cars, it has reactive AWD. I'd like to test drive one because I need a big car this time around.

Considered an Audi? CPO A4s can be found for low 30s/high 20s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not buy a new vehicle yet, but I did test drive several of the competition (all were FWD except the Legacy). For me the biggest concerns are safety, gas mileage, and comfort (a nice quiet car).

2014 Honda Accord EX-L: I liked this car. The interior was nice and I would say the Accord has been the standard for years in this class. The one downside which is definitely not a deal breaker would be the backseat fold. It's one piece instead of 60/40. I don't put the backseat down much at all, but I have a car seat and that would be an inconvenience when I needed to.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring: One of the best looking in this class, but that was about it for me. I didn't like how it drove and it definitely wasn't quiet. It does come pretty loaded though.

2015 Nissan Altima SL: The most comfortable seats in a car that I have ever sat on. The gas mileage is fantastic and it also came pretty loaded. It didn't drive as well as the Honda and the reliability was a concern

2015 Sonata Limited w/tech package: This is/was a very strong contender for me. I like the way it looks and the interior was very nice. The ventilated seats were awesome for the Florida heat. It drove really well and comes with a better standard warranty. It's very loaded with the tech package. A big downside for me was the interior/exterior color combinations. Dark leather is a must for me with having a small child and they only offer black leather with a black exterior. The other options are very light colored. The dealer did offer a leather protection package, but that added on another $700 I believe.

2015 Legacy: I test drove a Premium, but also got to see the interior of a 3.6 Limited (same interior as 2.5 Limited). The car drove really well and was very quiet. The interior of the Limited seemed very high end to me. My company is also part of the VIP program (invoice pricing) so that is a plus. A downside is that the newer features on cars (push start, smart key, etc...) aren't standard.

I was actually very very close to ordering the Subaru, but we had some things come up that pushed back the purchase until early next year if not later. When the time comes, I will most likely go look at and test drive the Accord, Sonata, and Legacy again to make my decision. I would be happy with any of the three. I might even wait until the 2016 models have come out to see what tweaks they have made. The Accord is supposed to be refreshed for 2016.

If the Accord and/or the Legacy offered ventilated seats then the Sonata would most likely be off the list. It would be my third choice out of the three anyways, but those seats were just soooo nice :).

Archived