LegacyGT.com

09 OBXT, Low compression cyl 1 & 3. Rebuild Time!

So, I picked up an 09 OBXT 5MT that needs some work... Probably not the wisest decision.

I had it compression tested and inspected with a boroscope and it turns out that the head on the passenger side is toast. It looks like the fueling system caused the engine to run lean, the car died as soon as the fuel pump fuse was pulled. The valves aren't seating, the cylinders 1 and 3 aren't looking too good.

CYL1 - 96.0PSI

CYL2 - 136.0PSI

CYL3 - 109.0PSI

CYL4 - 141.0PSI

The car has 149k miles on it, so I'm hesitant to just slap a new head on when I'll probably be looking at piston or bearing issues in the not too distant future.

My plan:

OEM Heads - $600 x 2 - $1200 (Maybe I'll have them rebuilt instead)

OEM EJ255 Shortblock - $1800

OEM Gasket Kit - $230

STI Oil Pump - $125

Gates Timing Kit - $250

Air Pump Delete - $50

ARP Head Studs - $250

Exedy stage 1 Clutch - $571 (Not really necessary)

Killer Bee Oil Pickup - $175

Invidia Catless Uppipe - $150

Mishimoto Turbo Inlet - $210

Fuel Pump - $170

Injectors - $350

Basically $5k+ in parts

I'm going to start ordering parts soon, I am planning on having everything by June. My only plan in the future is a down-pipe, intake and tune. I'm going to be doing the work myself, I'm pretty confident I can get it done.

Am I missing anything? what do you guys think about this list, anything I should change?

See my click here link in my sig for idea's.

In less your looking for big HP, I'd not waste money on the fuel pump or injectors. Use that money for the down pipe.

IMO the Killer B pick is over kill, inspect your oil pick tube, if it ain't cracked put it back in. The cracked tubes seemed to be later 2005 to early mid 2006's.

Use a OEM water pump, a few of us have had issues with the gates pump. IMO the Gate stiming belt is as good as any the auto parts stores sell. The Dayco belt I had worked fine.

I used a stock intake tube it was like $90.

Have your heads rebuilt, shouldn't cost more then around $500 or so.

Oh read the sticky's up top of this and other forums here, check out JmP's sticky at the top of the 4th Gen forum lots of great info on parts there.

Oh, welcome to the Forum. Every thing you need to know is here.

Where in MA are you, tell us the town, The best Tuner for these cars is in Vernon CT just off exit 65 on rt84. Have him do your tune, Mike Kinsman of www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The only reason I want to replace the pump/injectors is because the car has a fuel issue, I'm getting a new pump first to see if that's the source of the problem. Hopefully the injectors are fine.

If I don't need the killer bee tube, then I'll skip it. I just got scared after reading about oil pickup failures.

I'm undecided on what to do with the heads. I'm borrowing a friend's garage to do the swap, so I want to have as minimal down time as possible. Ideally, I'd like to show up with all my parts ready to go in, but after working on my WRX for the past 8 years, I know there will be hang ups.

I'm just north of Leominster/Fitchburg, I'll definitely check them out.

Thanks for the helpful welcome!

I'm still running the oil pick up tube that came in my wagon, it's build date is May 2004.

Your close to ESP in Sterling MA, that's where Mike uses the dyno.

Remember to order the half moon seals for the back of the heads as they don't come in the gasket set.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, it's been over a year since I've started this project. It's taking me so long because I've bought a house and had a baby in that span, but I now have an awesome garage to work in!

I ended up going with a brand new short block, the heads were able to be rebuilt. Almost ready to put everything back in!

http://i.imgur.com/20jFhJj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VdEzVsb.jpg

I actually went with the Moroso pickup! Got it for $75.

I have a question, is it necessary to replace the oil pan and oil pump after a turbo failure, or can they be cleaned?

"People" say to always replace the oil pump and oil cooler after a turbo grenades because of how intricate the internal passages are = you can't be confident they're 100% clean. First-hand knowledge is a valuable thing, so I say try to clean the old ones and find out if you agree with "people" or not.

The oil pan isn't very complicated, and you'll be fine as long as you get in there really good with a pressure washer to make sure there's nothing left hiding in a corner under a baffle.

If the cost isn't a critical factor, replace everything that touches oil and have no fear.

If the cost isn't a critical factor, replace everything that touches oil and have no fear.

Its cheap insurance compared to the cost of another rebuild in a few month's.

• 2 months later...

The engine is almost ready to go back into the car. At the recommendation of BNR, I installed a sandwich plate adapter to feed oil to the turbo.

I am wondering if I can plug the oil bung in the back of the head with a regular bolt and crush washer? I have this oil line, Which doesn't connect to the turbo oil feed on the back of the head like the picture below.

The bung I want to plug is labeled "AVCS OIL FEED" in this picture.

http://elementtuning.com/V8%20Install/Elemen13.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture. There will still be oil feed to the avcs, I'm just using the 06 sti feed line instead of the original one

06 sti line:

avcs_to_turbo_line_diagram.jpg

Original line:

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/turbo/oil_feed/DSC08093.JPG

There are oil flow charts in the back of the service manuals. You may find your answer there.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

or whats the back of the 07-09 head look like...yea, I should know that... sorry I don't.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_5/engine/cylinder_head/illustration_1/

I think the heads are different on a 07-09.

I think the heads are different on a 07-09.

That was the D25 headed generation, no? IIRC, the D25 heads are set up in two possible configurations:1) to feed AVCS from the top of the head and trubo from the rear, and 2) to feed turbo and AVCS from a single point on the top of the head. The B25 ('05-'06) are set up to feed both AVCS and turbo from the rear of the head with the secondary oil feed location being blocked off on the top of the head.

Joebrauk, you have D25 heads bolted on there so why not take advantage of the available oil feed location on there? A sandwich plate for a turbo feed, at least on these cars, seems sort of unnecessary for me. I'm actually curious about BNR's justification for it!

Also, if you want to block that rear oil feed off, IAG has a nice bolt specifically for that which they include in their oil feed line kits. I used my rear feed on my B25 heads, so I still have it. If you want it, you can have it.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

That was the D25 headed generation, no? IIRC, the D25 heads are set up in two possible configurations:1) to feed AVCS from the top of the head and trubo from the rear, and 2) to feed turbo and AVCS from a single point on the top of the head. The B25 ('05-'06) are set up to feed both AVCS and turbo from the rear of the head with the secondary oil feed location being blocked off on the top of the head.

Joebrauk, you have D25 heads bolted on there so why not take advantage of the available oil feed location on there? A sandwich plate for a turbo feed, at least on these cars, seems sort of unnecessary for me. I'm actually curious about BNR's justification for it!

Also, if you want to block that rear oil feed off, IAG has a nice bolt specifically for that which they include in their oil feed line kits. I used my rear feed on my B25 heads, so I still have it. If you want it, you can have it.

Thanks, it's one of those things I know of, just don't know a whole lot about it.

My vf52 is very happy with the stock oil feed with both filters removed on my 05 wagon.

I know you know that, that's just for general info for others. ;)

I'm assuming Brian's reasoning is because of all the warranty complaints he has gotten over the years.

Archived