LegacyGT.com

09 LGT Limited or 2010 LGT Limited???

delay503

It would take me hours to explain how my wife and I have come to this point so I will try and keep it simple. Because of the multiple problems we have had with our current Legacy (09 SE with PZEV) and the glorious lack of help that both we and the dealership have received from SOA's engineering department we were offered another car... Without going into great detail I will say that they want to buy out car back from us and sell us a new one.

Here is where I am stuck. Since we do not want another PZEV I am looking at a LGT. Here are my options given the availability of the cars in the area...

Car #1

09 Legacy GT Limited with VDC and Nav in Silver Quartz Metallic. Invoice $31,139. My hold up with this car is that is a automatic and I don't care much for the navigation. But the paddle shifters seem pretty sweet and the interior is the off black with wood trim that looks nice. Also I like the Si-drive. My wife and I have a 09 Ouback XT with si-drive and I really enjoy driving that car.

Car #2

2010 Legacy GT Limited also in Silver Quartz Metallic. Invoice $29,555. This car is a 6MT which I like and has more HP than the 09 with only another 50lbs added to the car. I think the interior looks a little cheaper in the 2010 model and I'm not sure about looks. I have a love hate thing going with the new ones. A car that is one year newer also means that I wouldn't take as much of a hit right away after driving the car off the lot. The second I drive the 09 off the lot it's worth way less than invoice. I understand this is the case with any car but it's not as bad as a 2010.

With that being said I have spent hours researching the two different models and I have my own opinion (so does my wife of course) on the two cars but it's always nice to here what others have to say. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this and to whom ever takes the time to put in their two cents.

The financial part we have yet to discuss in fine detail but the dealership is being very helpful and has confidence in SOA to make things right for us since we are loyal Subaru customers. This will be our 5th new Subaru in 4 years.

Thank you!

Personally, I like the 2009's better. However, I wouldn't pay more than about $23-24 for the 2009. (I bought my 2008 GT Limited in Feb 09 for $22,300.00 brand new with the upgraded shock sensor, XM upgrade, and armrest extension but no Navi. Other than the Navi and the HK stereo, it's the same car)

The 2010 doesn't really do it for me. It's got potential with different wheels and springs to look a lot better...but it's just a little to big looking in my opinion as it sits.

I haven't driven either car... I'm going to guess that the 09 handles a lot like my current one but with more balls, or like my Outback if I were lowered. I'm going in this weekend to drive the 2010. I have only sat in the 2010 while waiting at the dealership to pick my car up for warranty work.

I'm simply looking for other peoples opinions. We all tend to notice different things about the same car and it's always nice to have another set of eyes or hear another person's thoughts.

Thanks adpsmp. 23-24 is a sweet deal on that car! We payed 28,XXX for our 09 Outback XT Limited and I thought we got a sweet deal!

I agree the 2010 is a little big. Would look a lot better with some lowering springs. With the large fender flares it really needs to come down a inch or two to fill that space.

Adpsmp does your 08 have the paddle shifters or do you have the five speed? If you have the paddle shifters, do you know if the feel is similar to using the manual mode on the normal automatic? My current car is a little slow/delayed while using that option. Thanks again.

You looking to make many customizations?

If speed is what you want the 09 has it and also it has lots of options to upgrade, but if you want the outside stylish look then the 2010 is the way to go.

I've driven my friends 2006 Legacy GT and it hauls *****.

It really came down to space for me and the 2010 gave me the most for it and that's what I decided to go with that.

31k + taxes for a 2009 car seems a bit much.

For that amount of money I'd probably wait couple weeks/months to wait for the 2011 models and see what they have to offer unless this has to be done by you asap.

By the way for 32k you could get the Impreza WRX STi SE from subaru.com (you could probably bring the price down).

Upshifts are slow, downshifts are quick. Overall it feels pretty similar to the 4EAT in my wife's 08 Impreza.

I Agree with Wombat.

I have the paddle shifters and I Agree with Wombat. I normally only use them for downshifting just for that reason.

On that same note, when I testdrove the 2010 Legacy, it had the paddle shifters too...but they moved on the steering wheel and it made it difficult to use them if you were in any kind of turn. It seems to me that it is much easier to use them on the 08-09 where they are fixed on the column. You don't have to search for them.

Thanks again for the input. I'm thinking they will bring the price down quite a bit on the 09 LGT since the 2011 models will be coming in soon. They would have to bring the price way down on the 09 to make it a financially feasible decision.

I'm liking the STi idea. I'm going to have to look into that option.

The paddles fixed to the column seems like a much better idea.

It all depends on what you wanna do with the car really...

Modding it - 09

Need space - backseat, etc - 10

More stock power - 10

Comfortable seats - 10

Supporting seats - 09

Autocrossing - 09

Rear LSD - 09

Availablitity of parts/upgrades - 09

the list could go on... but I'd stick with the 09 if you actually plan on using the car as more than just a point A to B and are planning on modding it. If you want an A to B car, the 10 for sure.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

The overarching thing I would say is this, DON'T LET YOUR WIFE DECIDE WHAT CAR YOU'RE GOING TO BE DRIVING". I've lost count of how many spineless guys on this site have caved in only to regret it later. Let her decide on her car and you on yours.

If you're into performance go with the 2010. It's faster, more powerful, handles better and gets better MPG to boot. As for the mods, they're starting to come out now. It was the same deal with the Gen 4 car came out. It just took time.

If you like the snug feeling of a smaller car, the 2009 is for you. There's something to be said for the wrap around "fighter cockpit" feel. The 2009 delivers that in spades.

The looks are a matter of taste. Clearly more people in the general public prefer the 2010 as the sales are through the roof. Around here the 2005-2009 cars have more fans because they've sold it for 5 model years. Those people stand by their cars. It will take time before the new gen cars pass the old design in sales and then eventually the website opinion will change with that reality.

Pete

The overarching thing I would say is this, DON'T LET YOUR WIFE DECIDE WHAT CAR YOU'RE GOING TO BE DRIVING". I've lost count of how many spineless guys on this site have caved in only to regret it later. Let her decide on her car and you on yours.

If you're into performance go with the 2010. It's faster, more powerful, handles better and gets better MPG to boot. As for the mods, they're starting to come out now. It was the same deal with the Gen 4 car came out. It just took time.

If you like the snug feeling of a smaller car, the 2009 is for you. There's something to be said for the wrap around "fighter cockpit" feel. The 2009 delivers that in spades.

The looks are a matter of taste. Clearly more people in the general public prefer the 2010 as the sales are through the roof. Around here the 2005-2009 cars have more fans because they've sold it for 5 model years. Those people stand by their cars. It will take time before the new gen cars pass the old design in sales and then eventually the website opinion will change with that reality.

Pete

:lol:

Well considering one person here is running mid 13 second ETs with nothing more than a beta Cobb map, I'd say the potential for the new model to do more for less is certainly there (and yes, I do realize that the 1/4 mile is far from the end all of performance testing). I'm sure in time the bits from overseas will be available here to tighten up the suspension as well.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

fyi

User name: NY2005GT

60' time: 1.915

1/4 mile time: 13.989

trap speed: 98.21

track: Lebanon Valley Dragway

elevation: 660FT

temperature: 61 degrees

year of car: 2005

turbo: Stock

octane of gas used: 93

Water Injection: no

Nitrous: no

Tires:Nitto NT-01 20 PSI

Other supporting modifications: None

User name-Infamous1

60' time-1.865

1/4 mile time-13.698

trap speed-100.23

track-California Dragway

elevation-1100ft

temperature-90 degrees

year of car-2006

turbo-VF-40

octane of gas used 91/100 oct mix

Water Injection yes/no- no

Nitrous yes/no- no

Tires/inflation pressure- 40 psi all around on oem re92's

Other supporting modifications

Gutted UP and DP

Blitz Intake

Xo2 Racing exhaust

TDC Stage 2 tune

Greddy type S BOV

Cobb STS

GP Moto Coilovers

My point exactly- look in the fifth gen section- he ran better than those stage 2 numbers (60 foot time aside for the most part) and STOCK everything else. No gutting of cats, no exhaust, otherwise stock as the day it left Lafayette.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

:lol:

You're right. I should have added that the 2010 stops much shorter as well.

I think all of you Gen 4 guys need to go back and re-read all the Road Test and Comparison Tests that came out for your cars. Your collective memories are quite short.

It seems that with age your cars have gotten much faster, handle better and attract chicks in droves (ah, beer goggles!).

The tests I read bag on everything from the way it wallows, bottoms out (even the never to be praised enough Spec B, gasp) brakes way too long etc etc etc.

Every car has it's weaknesses, the 2010 included. It just seems you've all forgotten yours is on that list as well.

Thank you again everyone. I love this website. Going in here in an hour to drive the 2010. I'll let you all know what happens.

One thing to remember is that the number of people in any performance car affects (yep, you guessed it) performance. Try to leave the wife behind and choose a light salesperson. Assuming you're going to be driving it alone most of the time, that will give you the best idea of what it will be like in real life.

Pete

All went well. The salesperson is the one that sold us our XT Outback and is a super nice and honest guy to do business with. All around good experience with this dealership. There was no way I was going to be able to go without the wife, but that's not an issue with the two of us. With my ADD and selective hearing I'm pretty much always in my own world, so I was able to drive the car like no one else was there.

I know some are going to want to tar and feather me for this one.... I liked the car. Although the interior is not my favorite (wood trim?? Looks way worse in person than in the photos and nowhere near as nice as our XT's wood trim) I do like the extra space and the HK system in this car sounds quite a bit meatier than the HK system in my 09. I really don't like the new instrument cluster, the gauges look tacky with the fading blue and the large numbers. The 09 was much more tasteful with the smaller numbers and simple red ring. The power felt good and sufficient enough for me (easy AccesPort is an easy fix for more) but I wish it still had the si-drive. I really enjoy that feature on our XT. This car has no spoiler which I like, leaves me more options for the future. 6MT felt a little "thin" but driving a stick again (been eight years since my mod'd VW GTI) put a big smile on my face. The 18" wheels with the side skirts really made the car. The downside is that the same tires I was looking at for my 09 (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+) are another $200 in the 18 inch size. Ouch. The other cars on the lot with the 17" and 16" look goofy to me. There is just too much space with the larger fenders and wheel gap. All this being said....

The car was fun to drive and handled decent (rear sway bar upgrade would be a +), extra interior space is a huge bonus (I usually have three or four in the car on trips to the mountain), 6MT was fun for me (needs short throw, $550 bucks from Subaru!?!?!?! WTF), Integrated Bluetooth is a plus (hands free law in Oregon now, boooo), better factory sound (I don't have to spend the money on aftermarket equipment this way, I tend to go overboard when this happens, I can post pictures of interior of my K5 latter if anyone is interested), and last but not least.... PeteWK will like this one, the wife doesn't like driving the stick. This means no dog in my car, no crap in my car, no coffee down the side of my center console, and no hair clips stuck to my sun-visor. All minor things but still a plus. This does present a problem for the next time I f my knee up mountain biking.

Thanks again everyone. We are waiting to see of SOA comes back with a decent offer for us. Hopefully we'll hear from them today!

Archived