LegacyGT.com

08 Spec.B tranny loud sqeal & grind noise when cold

T-Rexky

Good day,

I have a few months old 2008 Spec.B with under 10k on the odometer. I purchased it new last summer. It is replacing my 2005 GT, so I'm quite familiar with the platform overall. An absolutely awesome car, but I have to say that the build quality has slipped slightly somewhere between 05 and 08, which is a bit disappointing.

Since I purchased the vehicle I immediately noticed an unfamiliar noise in the transmission - primarily present in first and second gear on deceleration. It seems to be always there in the background, but at times it gets louder - particularly under heavier engine compression braking. It's probably best described as grinding type noise with some metallic harmonics. Having studied the forums and some reviews I assumed that this is a normal quirk of the vehicle.

Since the weather got cold, however, I became very concerned with a new, much louder noise. When the car is started with a cold soaked transmission, almost every time there is a very loud squeal and knocking / grinding noise coming from the transmission area. The noise goes away when I push the clutch pedal in, and comes back when the clutch pedal is out. It is loud enough for people to turn their heads and look at the vehicle as I drive by at low speeds. Once the car fully warms up the noise is mostly gone, although some slight grind with a metallic undertone seems to remain.

I am going to see a local Subaru rep at the dealer in a few days, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I would very much appreciate any comments or thoughts.

Thank you,

T-Rexky.

.......that sounds very much like grinding...

sounds really bad...

initially from reading your post, i was going to say that it was possibly a bearing in the clutch system . unfortunately, i dont remember the discussion about this particular situation (pushing clutch in/out)...i remember release bearing and the throw out bearing..but there was at least 2 more i think.

but from listening to it...i have doubts that it's a bearing....like i said it sounds like grinding as you have mentioned as well ~

good luck with this

Intresting problem. Just to clarify a release bearing and a throw out bearing are the same thing. The other bearing involved with a clutch set up is the pilot bearing. From what your describing it sounds like it might be your release bearing. It connects to your clutch fork and when you press the clutch pedal down that's what pushing the clutch fingers in. The bearing spins when ever the engine is. And when you press down the clutch pedal it has alot more pressure on it so that would explain why the noise goes away. Could of just been a faulty bearing from the begining. Keep us posted what it ends up being.

Hey guys - thank you very much for your feedback. An excellent suggestion with the throw out bearing axial loading. Based on that suggestion, I played with it again a bit and now I almost convinced myself that it is the transmission input shaft.

With the clutch all the way in to the floor there is no noise. As I very slowly released the clutch the noise came in as soon as the input shaft started spinning. This was probably at about 40% clutch travel away from the floor, so the throw out bearing would be still loaded. It is easy to find the friction point with the cold tranny because the engine RPM drops a bit and one can no longer put the tranny into gear. As I carefully moved around the friction point the noise was coming and going...

I will keep everyone posted once I chat with Subaru Canada rep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Life got away from me over the last few years and I generally have very little time to spend on the forums... had big plans before to even participate in meets, etc. Cannot do any more. But I still REALLY enjoy my Subie whenever I can.

• 8 months later...
Well, it looks like I will be getting a "new" transmission. Unfortunately I will then need to wait until the next winter to confirm that the issue has been fixed.

So it finally got cold enough to confirm that the problem is gone. My rebuilt transmission definitely fixed the noise. It was the input shaft bearing... I am delighted that it is fixed.

• 1 year later...

Hey man I have the exact same issue as you describe here (Also 08 specb).

Metallic Grinding noise when in acceleration or deceleration, with the noise going away once the clutch is depressed. My car has done this for 3 winters in a row now and is only noticable under very cold temps.

Around -15 DegC I can start to hear it but gets progressively worse the colder it gets. Tonight its -30 and the transmission sounds like its going to fly apart:eek:. Yet at -10 it sounds fine.:confused:

I've had it to the dealership 3 times and they claim to notice nothing. Its annoying because even when its -30 out if you let the car sit for 10min its almost like the tranny gets heat soak from the surrounding hot engine and then needs time to cool down again before the noise is noticable. This is whats been be causing it hard for the subaru techs to hear the noise I think. In any case its driving me nuts and my warranty is getting older.

Was there any official word on what the issue was in your case? I'm trying to find some ammo to goto the dealer with. Anything may help.

Is there anything on your work order or was it simbly a "bad tranny" and thats all you were told?

i have some clutch chatter in my 09 spec.b, and the dealer claims its very normal. not sure what the extent of your noise is, but i thought mine was broken! The sound got much worse as the colder weather set in. 1st thru 3rd. Goes away when clutch is pushed in.

The lead tech at subie basically said the 6mt is super noisey on these cars. some worse than others. again - not sure if its the same noise.

Hey man I have the exact same issue as you describe here (Also 08 specb).

Metallic Grinding noise when in acceleration or deceleration, with the noise going away once the clutch is depressed. My car has done this for 3 winters in a row now and is only noticable under very cold temps.

Around -15 DegC I can start to hear it but gets progressively worse the colder it gets. Tonight its -30 and the transmission sounds like its going to fly apart:eek:. Yet at -10 it sounds fine.:confused:

I've had it to the dealership 3 times and they claim to notice nothing. Its annoying because even when its -30 out if you let the car sit for 10min its almost like the tranny gets heat soak from the surrounding hot engine and then needs time to cool down again before the noise is noticable. This is whats been be causing it hard for the subaru techs to hear the noise I think. In any case its driving me nuts and my warranty is getting older.

Was there any official word on what the issue was in your case? I'm trying to find some ammo to goto the dealer with. Anything may help.

Is there anything on your work order or was it simbly a "bad tranny" and thats all you were told?

Hey, in my case it was the transmission input shaft bearing, but from what you are describing your noise could be normal. As someone else pointed out, our transmissions do get a bit noisy when it is cold out. However, in my case the bearing replacement definitely fixed the loud squealing. All in all my transmission was rebuilt by Subaru and it works and feels excellent.

Last fall I also filled it with the Subaru Extra-S oil, and it made a reasonably large improvement in terms of shift feel. It also noticeably reduced the gear noise when decelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. I would highly recommend it.

If you are concerned you should definitely leave the car at the dealer overnight and visit it in the morning for the first start.

TR

Thanks for the info. Boy its hard to imagine this sound is normal tho.

I tried taking a recording of the noise tonight as the temps are going to rise right away here but no luck.....the sound cannot be heard for whatever reason even tho it is very loud. My mic only seems to be able to pick up white noise as you can barely hear the engine either.

In any event I don't think i have the squeeling you describe, its more of a chatter which increases in frequency with speed (not RPM) but at any speed can only be heard under acceleration or deceleration with the cluth out.

You know that sort of rough chattery noise the big turbo deisel trucks make under hard acceleration? This noise is somewhat like that (And probably as loud too!).

Guess i'll have to wait for the next really cold night and bring her down overnight.:mad:

mine is a chattering noise. I felt the EXACT same way.. i spent days and days in forums. Then a friend of mine with a wrx drove it and said it was normal. THen i asked another spec b owner - and they said it was normal. Then the dealers lead tech (also a lgt enthusiast), said it was normal. lol

i put extra s in the gear box. it helped a bit.

Archived