LegacyGT.com

08 LGT: MPG Impressions

I just picked up my '08 on Thurs and I gotta say, what an outstanding ride. I don't have anything new to offer compared to some of the other general vehicle impressions, but I did want discuss the fuel efficiency.

I've driven it exactly 502 miles (Long commute and some additional drive time) with 1 fill up. Thus far its been a 50/50 of mixed driving on highway and in town and it seems I'm averaging about 24.9 mpg. I spend most of my time in 'I' drive and really can't complain.

I'm going to fill up a few more times and note my fuel economy but that's a pretty big difference from the numbers that early users were getting (high teens and low 20s). I'm wondering if its possible that new stock maps were released or perhaps I've got a lighter foot than others. So far I am more than pleased with the fuel efficiency vs fun and power and regret not one moment of the long wait during the stop-sale.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I just picked up my '08 on Thurs and I gotta say, what an outstanding ride. I don't have anything new to offer compared to some of the other general vehicle impressions, but I did want discuss the fuel efficiency.

I've driven it exactly 502 miles (Long commute and some additional drive time) with 1 fill up. Thus far its been a 50/50 of mixed driving on highway and in town and it seems I'm averaging about 24.9 mpg. I spend most of my time in 'I' drive and really can't complain.

I'm going to fill up a few more times and note my fuel economy but that's a pretty big difference from the numbers that early users were getting (high teens and low 20s). I'm wondering if its possible that new stock maps were released or perhaps I've got a lighter foot than others. So far I am more than pleased with the fuel efficiency vs fun and power and regret not one moment of the long wait during the stop-sale.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I cannot speak to the LGT, but I get 2-3 MPG over the EPA rated MPG for my 2.5i SE w/ 5MT. Maybe Subaru did something to the ECU and fuel maps...

I have an 08 LGT, and for the past 6 months I've consistently gotten around 25 mpg, about 90% highway driving. mostly in Sport mode...I switch to Intelligent when I'm in traffic or driving around the city/town. And I usually floor it on the onramps...and I still get 25 mpg

But don't rely on the in-dash mpg gage, its usually about 1 mpg higher than what i really get based on (# miles traveled)/(# gallons at fillup) - just be consisent and don't top it off (or if you're in jersey like me, roll down the window and tell the attendant not to top it off). When i was breaking it in I seem to remember getting around 26-27, but i haven't seen that in a while, though probably because i haven't been able to treat it gently for an entire fill-up SINCE that break in period. :)

"yes"

:lol:

Give it time, your fuel economy will drop soon enough.

During break in I was in the 26-28 range.

I haven't seen 20+ since my last road trip :lol:

lol

During the break in I got about 24mpg when I got it in Aug 07, I avg about 19/20 in the winter and 22/23 in the summer with about 70%hwy and 30%city. I've never seen 26!

It seems that the main symptom is the driver. During the break in period people aren't going WOT nor aggressively driving the vehicle. I'm sure if people continued to drive the car conservatively they would see higher results.

I've got a 05 LGT and get 15-16 around town. 23-25 on the highway, I think that's pretty good.

Of course that drops, just a little, when I use it like you should...

same with my 05.

in the 08 STI, I am avg about 21-22 mpg 80% city and a little hwy. I think that's excellent! I find that I mode does well for traffic situations but I get better fuel economy in S when I'm on the hwy. Tonight, I picked up Habitual Line Stepper who's up on a business trip and drove out to Girdwood and back, about 40 miles each way. I got 25 mpg in Sport mode with a CEL (I installed a CAI and had to give HLS a little taste of that stg 1 feel). I think Subaru is really trying to step up the fuel efficiency.

*edit* I also want to add that my last tank of gas I got 20 mpg avg and that included 2 full days of autox!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I can get as much as 27 on the highway, even with some pretty good accelerations. But my all time average is sitting at 23 right now. If I am in town only, its close to 19-20.

I average about 18 (using my own math and the odometer) over a tank, mix of city and highway driving. I'm not surprised because I drive in S# pretty much constantly and am not particularly light on the throttle.

On the upside it's loads better than my Audi A8L ever was.

Man I get around 13MPG, but thats sitting nearly still in Dam LIE traffic.

Took her out to the Hamptons Last week long highway cruise I got 27MPG indicated on the gauge it worked out to be 24.5 actual value.

I don't remember how it was during break in since I really did not care, I only care now because of gas prices.

Forgot to mention 06 LGT with 5EAT.

I've put about 1,100 miles on my '08 LGT manual trans and am getting right about 23.5mpg, about 80% freeway 20% city driving. I pretty much babied the car during the break in period, so I would imagine now that I can hit the RPM's a little more my mileage will drop some.

I took a road trip last weekend and went about 250 miles each way. The way there I averaged about 70mph and got about 25.3 mpg, the way home was at night, so I was able to go about 80mph almost the whole way home and got about 23.2mpg, so there is a considerable drop off for faster freeway driving.

The car's calculation of my mileage is about 1.2mpg less that what I'm actually achieving based on miles driven/gallons purchased.

Overall I'm quite pleased. My '06 Forester (yes, we're a Subaru family) gets about 25-27mpg and the engine in that car is pretty tame, so just dropping a couple MPG and getting turbo-charged fun is well worth it to me!

I averaged about 28mpg on my cross country trip recently, Denver to Pittsburgh ~1500 miles @ 70-75mph (actual calculated miles/gallons).. Carputer read 29.7mpg for the trip..

Otherwise, during my normal driving I get about 22mpg on the carputer, and I drive mostly rural roads, and very little highway. I have a 5mt, which I drive pretty mildly 80% of the time..

I'm averaging about 24.9 mpg.

Good to hear! That's great mileage. Is it 5MT or 5EAT?

To those who say it will drop after break in, you aren't correct. Mileage usually increases after the break in period, as the seals set, etc etc... If you drive like a lunatic after that period, of course it will go down. But fuel consumption will only go down with increased mileage.

i got 32mpg on my 08 gt... i was trying hard to get good mpg... on I mode, in mostly highway driving over a 100 mile trip on a highway with a stop light every 5-10 miles.

in city driving, i get about 20mpg. On a tank where I kept it on S and drove it like gas was free... i got 19mpg.... city driving again.

Ok I decided today for the first time ever on my ride into work to avg about 65mph vs 80mpg. Ride into work is 90% hwy. Anyway I was able to avg 27mpg WoW I havent seen that ever on my 80mile trip to and from work. Save me 4 bucks today.

Ok I decided today for the first time ever on my ride into work to avg about 65mph vs 80mpg. Ride into work is 90% hwy. Anyway I was able to avg 27mpg WoW I havent seen that ever on my 80mile trip to and from work. Save me 4 bucks today.

Nice, goes to show you that if you drive with a light foot you can save money, increase your safety at the expense of a couple minutes.

Well, a few more observations:

I've driven for economy and averaged another 23.8 MPG (23.5 Real) but this time in Sport mode. I watched the instant reads from a stand-still in both and I-mode 'appears' to hold a worse average.

The first 5 seconds of an I-mode lift-off would read: 2-3-5-5-7

An average Sport mode start: 5-5-7-8-12

At the end of both I'd be at 35mph.

I don't even use I mode anymore. I tried it a few times to see if it was any different, but aside from a lack of power, I didn't notice any tangible gains over a tank. So now I just drive around in S# and stay off the pedal if I'm trying to be conservative.

At least that way I know that I can get up and go if I need to. Can't say that I provides that same assurance.

Archived