LegacyGT.com

08 Hella horns install????

Im about to install my hella and not really trying to break anything... other than the two clips i already broke.:rolleyes: I'd like some info on how to take off the grill. I've removed the plugs from each side of the grill and the top 4 clips. But it's still being held in place in place pretty tight and cant find the cluprits. could anybody give me an idea of whats still holding the grill in place.

Thanks

Also heres a tip that I found when installing mine. The power to the stock horns was already 12v so there is no need for the hella relay. Unplug the stock horns and extend the wire right the the hellas. Mine have been like that for 6+ mnths with no issues.

The relay can be installed without issue however then there will just be 2 relays in the circuit as the factory horns use a relay as well.

And all the clips on my grille were broken when I bought it so sorry can't help with that.

Any chance someone could post a photo? I tried to remove the grill when I was messing with my fogs without any luck. About all I managed to do was break a clip...

Looks like we're in the same boat... Decided not to do the install last night because i still didnt have any specifics on where it was being held together. So im taking my car to EQtunning tonight (perks of my bf being the GM of a shop;)) and having thier tech take the grill off for me. i'll take some pics and post em up.

Just take a mirror, flashlight and stubby screwdriver to the set up. There are two screws on the bottom toward the middle. Two more screws near where the bottom ends into the upward curve. Two more a little bit up the side. And I believe two more toward the top-ish.

I'm pretty sure there are 8 total screws holding it on. When you go to put it back on, I'd suggest only putting 4 back in.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Once you take the grille off once its easy to do it from then on out because you know where all the screws are. The first time is a pain, but after that, no problems. And I just did my hellas last week. Very easy, even with the relay. Just make sure to wrap the living hell out of the connections to avoid shorting out the system in case of rain.

Here's a pic of my 08LGT with the grill off... Circled in red 6 screw holes, in orange 2 plug holes and green circles around the 4 clips. You really do need a mirror and flashlight unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of time feeling around for the screws.

002b.jpg.3a21a5048d80c0e9fa6fa67798167f1f.jpg

I just took the bumper off of my Outback. Really easy. I'll take it off again soon, I have another set of horns to install!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Here's a pic of my 08LGT with the grill off... Circled in red 6 screw holes, in orange 2 plug holes and green circles around the 4 clips. You really do need a mirror and flashlight unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of time feeling around for the screws.

Are yer horns really powder blue?

Not trying to be a troll, but what is the purpose of these above what a regular horn does?

Maybe you don't use yours much, but the stock horn really stinks. If you have to stand on it (as I did recently when an elderly man decided he'd back up towards me without looking over his shoulder or in his mirror), the sound cuts in and out like a bad cell phone call.

• 3 months later...
Is anyone still watching this thread? If so, I have an 09 SE. I want to replace the stock weenie horns with some I have that are really loud. Looks like there are two options: remove bumper cover and replace horns at stock location; or leave stock horns, remove grille and tap into wire lead to stock horns. Which is easier? I have to admit I am nervous about removing the bumper cover and damaging it either removing it or not aligning it correctly when when reinstalling. Any tips? And, maybe a little more detail than "remove bumper". Like, how do you do it?

You can get in to replace the stock horn by just removing the airbox. You obviously won't have as much room as you would by removing the bumper cover.

I pulled one stock horn out and used the plastic connector as my tap to the wires for the relay. If you have much experience at all with wiring, this is a pretty easy install.

Archived