LegacyGT.com

'08 Auto Trans Question - Clicking Sound

tdoggydog

Hey guys - I posted on here awhile back about a clicking noise that sounded through the shift gate upon acceleration and decceleration. Well, the shifter assembly was replaced under warranty, which seemed to eliminate the noise upon acceleration; however, when slowing to a stop, there is still a "click" sound from the same area.

When I was using the loaner car (an '08 Outback), I noticed the same sound upon decceleration, but it seemed less pronounced in that car than in mine. Do any '08 auto tranny owners notice the same thing? Just wondering if I need to make another trip to the dealer. Thanks! :spin:

I just noticed this on my 08 LGT a few days ago, when you come to a stop theres a click and you can actually feel it if you put your finger on the shift console, it clicks again once you accelerate. Im taking mine in tommorrow because its annoying and an unfortunate quirk.

I just noticed this on my 08 LGT a few days ago, when you come to a stop theres a click and you can actually feel it if you put your finger on the shift console, it clicks again once you accelerate. Im taking mine in tommorrow because its annoying and an unfortunate quirk.

Yeah - that's exactly how mine was. It started to creep up and get louder the more miles I put on the car. They eventually replaced the shifter assembly under warranty. The fix took care of the "click" upon takeoff, but it's still there when slowing to a stop. I might have to take it in again. Let me know how your fix goes.

• 4 months later...
Whew - yeah, forgot all about this thread. Yes, it is a defect. Take it in to the dealer. The first time they replaced a component of the shifter assembly, which resolved one of the "clicks". Then, the other click was still there, I took it back in and they replaced a different component of the shifter assembly. Now, all is good and it's super quiet when driving.

Yeah, I understand that there is a clicking sensation if you have your hand on the shifter when slowing to a stop - that is fine. But what I was having was a completely separate and loud, audible "click" when taking off from a start, and also upon slowing to a complete stop. Each one was caused by two different components of the shifter assembly, both of which were replaced and remedied the problem completely.

• 1 year later...
I think I have this problem also. When I take off and the car is ready to shift into 2nd, it makes several quick "clicks". It only does this when cold and when I first take off. Is this the same problem ? ( 07 Outback , 35k )

I think I have this problem also. When I take off and the car is ready to shift into 2nd, it makes several quick "clicks". It only does this when cold and when I first take off. Is this the same problem ? ( 07 Outback , 35k )

Not sure if that is the same or not (I'm no mechanic). My problem was resolved with the shifter assembly replacement. I recall it happening as a takeoff and near complete stop, each time, every time, regardless of engine temp.

I just saw this topic and have a story about the automatic clicking noise. I went to the dealer just last week to have my car to get a oil change. I saw my sales rep whom I am good friends with and we were just hanging out bsing around. Neway long story short, he asked me if I had any problems with my car (brand new 2008 automatic trans, bought it back in march) and I said nope, only that I think my steering wheel clock spring might be defective. I asked him why is there something wrong? He said that there has been some complaints about a ticking noise when you first start moving within the first 15 feet and then sometimes when you slow down. He mentioned he had called up corporate subaru and asked them if there was something wrong and they said thats just the way it was designed. It had something to do with how something engages with something else, I forgot the details wish I would have writen down what he said.

Regardless, I do not think it is a serious issue according to what he said and there wasnt much they could do about it because it was designed that way? My car has never done it *knock on wood* and me and him even took my car for a little spin once it was done getting its oil change and it did not do it. So I am not sure if its only on certain models or what. Just thought Id share my input.

I just saw the few previous posts, apparently it is a problem...and subaru can fix it? Wonder if they fixed it on later models or what the deal was or if its appearing on the newer models.

Archived