LegacyGT.com

08 5EAT Paddle Shifters Noob Question

heyjl

So this is probably a noob question, but playing around with the paddle shifters, I noticed that they still shift gears even if the car is in "D" and not "Sportshift +/-" mode. Is it typically recommended that in order to use the paddle shifters, you should be in sportshift mode? I browsed through search results but didn't see this specific question brought up before... Thanks for any suggestions!

From my understanding, hitting the paddle shifters in D is the 'same' as hitting them in manual mode. You CAN shift in D and if you dont touch the paddles after a short time, the car will automatically revert back to D. if you wanna solely shift the car urself, u put it in the "+/-" (manual) mode. Hope that helps.

Thanks Jae, that clears it up! I guess the main difference I can tell between using the paddle shifters in "D" or "manual mode is that in manual mode it holds the revs higher before it actually shifts, causing a slight delay between the time you hit the paddle shifter and when it actually changes gears... Or is it just my imagination?

i've downshifted in D and upshifted myself in D and let it revert back to D. so dont really know how high i can rev it in D while the "number" is showing. i dont know about "holding" revs but using either paddle-shift or stick-shift it takes maybe a sec or less to change gears so if i were u, i'd hit the shifter maybe 300-500rpm less so you'd compensate the "over-rev"

Downshifting is almost instant in my car, provided your car is in the band to do so.

Look on the indicator on the dash, you have your Manual gear number presented. To the left are 2 arrows. An Up and Down arrow. This is what you can presently shift to.

If you are doing 45 MPH, you can shift from 3rd down to 2, because the down arrow shows But once in 2nd, you cannot downshift into 1, becuause the synchronised transmission cannot, and the indicator disappears.

You also get an audible bee-beep! When trying to shift into a gear you cannot. Your car rev-matches while downshifting so the gears match up with the engine speed.

You can start the car from 0-10 mph in 1st or 2nd gear. You cannot put it higher because it would stall.

I believe the maximums are:

0-40 1st gear

40-75 2nd gear

75-105 3rd gear

105-limit 4th gear

4th and 5th gear are pretty damn close, I doubt you can hit the 4th gear cap. I would assume it to be about 145.

Paddles pretty well covered by now. Further info, the manual mode is also automated at the min/max revs.

If you slow or stop, the car will downshift. You can't lug it.

If you put it in "1" and floor it, it will upshift at top revs just like you were in "D".

Archived