LegacyGT.com

08 2.5L problems

yioryo

Any input would be appreciated.

Pruchased 8/07, currently has 7500 miles.

1) Since I purchased the car it has been making a whining noise that sounds electrical or like a fan powering up from the inside and more like a squeel from the outside. It is consistent with the car's acceleration and stops when the car comes to a complete stop. It's more annoying now b/c I drive around with my widows down more than ever.

2) The brakes blow. They shutter at speeds in excess of 50mph. Is this caused by brake pad deposit or are these cars known to have warped rotors this early?

3) My AM frequency does not work, never did. Not that I listen to it much but I would like to every once in a while when I'm stuck in traffic.

I refuse to take it back to the dealership b/c it's a big hassle and they're known to say that they cannot reproduce the symptoms.

TIA

i thought they would have fixed those problems since theearly 05's. mine does the noise thing too, never had a problem in 60k miles, brakes blow,and AM? it's 2008 lol. Now that i think about it even FM sucks in my legacy

You have warranty issues and you don't want to take care of it at the dealership? Did you just post to rant, or are you going to do something about it? How about treating the guys at the service department nicely? Smiling a little? I've even brought donuts to the guys and they've never let me down.

You really need to take it in to the dealer. I have an '08 Limited with a little over 3K miles and I have none of the problems you describe (although the AM isn't great, as it is on most car radios today). If you don't like your dealer, try another. I assume any dealer has to accept the warranty work. I've bought two cars at North Coast Subaru in Glen Cove and have been very happy with the service. I'm sure Bob, the service manager there, would give you an honest appraisal of the problems.

I refuse to take it back to the dealership b/c it's a big hassle and they're known to say that they cannot reproduce the symptoms.

TIA

better than paying money to fix these problems.

not all dealerships are out to screw you

car for sale. PM me!

Any input would be appreciated.

Pruchased 8/07, currently has 7500 miles.

1) Since I purchased the car it has been making a whining noise that sounds electrical or like a fan powering up from the inside and more like a squeel from the outside. It is consistent with the car's acceleration and stops when the car comes to a complete stop. It's more annoying now b/c I drive around with my widows down more than ever.

2) The brakes blow. They shutter at speeds in excess of 50mph. Is this caused by brake pad deposit or are these cars known to have warped rotors this early?

3) My AM frequency does not work, never did. Not that I listen to it much but I would like to every once in a while when I'm stuck in traffic.

TIA

1. wheel bearings

2. stock brake pads suck. upgrade to hawks hps at the bare least. Re bed and clean your rotors with a agressive pad. then come back and tell me the brakes suck:spin:

1. wheel bearings

2. stock brake pads suck. upgrade to hawks hps at the bare least. Re bed and clean your rotors with a agressive pad. then come back and tell me the brakes suck:spin:

Or the correct answer

1.) Center diff, mine does the same thing, whines and gets louder with speed, but not revs. I purchased mine 08/07 and have 8500 miles on it. So i would be my best guess. A wheel bearing is something you can definitley tell and it's not a whine generally as it is an audible-multiple-chirp.

2.) Alot of time it is likely for braka rotors to get warped in the first couple of months of ownership, due to improper break in of the brakes (remember they are brand new) Subaru's shit quality control, or just from sitting on the lot or whatever may have you. My brakes don't do that, go get them replaced, we never had a problem doing it for customers before.

my has the whune, coming from driver's side, wheel bearing for sure.

have the brakes resurfaced at the dealership.

do you have your back window tinted? my AM works just fine.

check behind the front bumper to see if you find an empty beer car. if you do then you'll know why your car sucks! :lol:

X

---

you gotta take that back and get what you paid for. I have 3 of those cars(2006 2.5i) and they all work great. I have had no issues what so ever and we hammer on them daily...at least two of us really abuse the car on a regular basis. I don't even think you should have to replace the brake pads. Take the service manager for a ride and show he/she exactly what you are talking about.

I'll bet #3 is caused by window tint....since the antennae is in the rear galss, any metallic window tint will kill the signal, especially the AM signal...

I agree - I was told to get ceramic-based, which I did, and have no problems with AM/FM radio reception. A little more expensive, but worth it for my honey bunny Leggy weggy. :wub:

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take it to the dealership when I get a chance... it's kind of tough when I have to be in the city @ 8am for work.

1) It's not a bearing, I'm convinced it has something to do with the differential.

2) I tried re-bedding the rotors, seems to have helped.

3) The car has been tinted for the past few months but the AM did not work since day 1.

Archived