LegacyGT.com

07 Outback 2.5i weird idle

CapnJack

Hi all,

A question on my wife's 07 Outback 2.5i...

When driving around a parking lot or pulling into our driveway, the idle seems to surge with the clutch pushed in.(ie goes up to about 2500 rpm, then drops) All this happens without her foot on the gas and the clutch pushed in. We have taken it to the dealer and asked them to take a look at it an of course they can't repeat it. This is not new to us as her 05 Outback 2.5i did it as well, but not to this severity.

A dumb question, but would this car have some kind of power steering assist that would up the throttle when turning into a driveway or turning in a parking lot? That's the only thing I can come up with???

Hopefully this makes sense. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5 GT with a MT. When I slow down to almost a stop and push the clutch in the idle first drops to around 750 rpm, then goes up to around 1500 - 2500 rpm until the car comes to a complete stop. If I pull the transmission into neutral before I push the clutch in, the idle drops to its normal 750 rpm and stays there. Sounds like I only have the problem when I am downshifting.

I have read about this problem in a couple of the threads on this forum.

Does resetting the ECU correct this problem, or do I need to go back to the dealer? This is my 2nd Subaru, but the 1st Legacy with a turbo.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Netpig thanks for the reply.

I think the issue is related to emissions control and downshifting. I believe the engine computer is supposed to delay throttle closings to minimize emissions. I believe what happens when I push the clutch in just before I stop is the engine computer trying to perform the same function. However the engine speed is below some preset RPM in the computer and rather than delaying the throttle closing the computer ends up raising the engine speed and our throttle surge event happens.

What makes me think the above is happening, is that if I pull the transmission into neutral just before I push the clutch in the engine speed does not surge up to the 1500-2000 range, it just goes to the normal idle.

I have about 4500 miles on my GT and live out in the country. I have not been able to get my car into the dealer as yet. I am going to try and get it to the dealer and ask my specific question to a tech. I am going to do this before I try resetting the ECU.

I will reply to this post after the dealer visit.

Archived