LegacyGT.com

07 LGT 5MT v. 08 LGT 5MT v. 08 3.0R

Paisan

07 LGT 5MT v. 08 LGT 5MT v. 08 3.0R  

33 members have voted

1. 1. 07 LGT 5MT v. 08 LGT 5MT v. 08 3.0R

Ok folks here is the question.... Looking to pickup a new Legacy. Debating if I should try to pickup an 07 or wait for the 08s and if I wait for the 08s then should I get the LGT 5MT or the 3.0R?

Car will be essentially daily driver and the ocassional HPDE. I have a 94 Legacy Turbo as a dedicated race car for race weekends but the new car will come out for HPDE only weekends.

Any and all input is welcome.

-mike

If your car is going to be a daily driver, might as well get the cheapest one (the 07). I don't see the point of waiting for an '08 unless you love the new look or interior.

Only reason I am waiting for the '08 is because when it comes out is when I can get a new car. Well that and I like the newest look.

-ben

If your car is going to be a daily driver, might as well get the cheapest one (the 07). I don't see the point of waiting for an '08 unless you love the new look or interior.

Only reason I am waiting for the '08 is because when it comes out is when I can get a new car. Well that and I like the newest look.

This is EXACTLY how I'm going about it.

Well the reasoning behind the 07 v. 08 is a few reasons. I think they'll probably drive similarly, unfortunately the "drive both and see how they feel" isn't going to work as the 07s will likely be gone by the time the 08s arrive so there won't likely be a way to test em back to back. The main reason to get the 08 over 07 I would think from a purely economic POV would be that the depreciation is going to be less over a given time as it's 1 MY newer, so in 5 years it'll be a 4 year old car and the 07 will be a 5 year old car. Given that the original purchase price will likely be very close to the same (VIP Program) . Also not sure of the availability of the colors I want even now on the 07s.

But keep the comments coming.

-mike

I voted for the 3.0R. I figure if you have a race car, you should be fine with the power of the 3.0R. If sales are slow, they will be pushing the car with huge incentives.

It would also be my choice, because I like the refinement of the the h6. I love boost, but I love sedate driving too.

do you honestly think there will be that significant a difference in the rates of depreciation between a new 07 model and a new 08 model? i think there are too many factors to consider that affect that other than the 1 year difference in model year of the cars.

Ed

do you honestly think there will be that significant a difference in the rates of depreciation between a new 07 model and a new 08 model? i think there are too many factors to consider that affect that other than the 1 year difference in model year of the cars.

Ed

All other factors being equal, yup it will make a difference, unless you plan to keep it for 7+ years which I rarely if ever do. So given an almost equal initial cost, the 08 will depreciate less given the same re-sale date v. an 07, no???

-mike

agree w/you on the resale value.

Only reason to get an 07 IMHO is if you find the color you want or if you want a wagon. I wanted a wagon and that's why I jumped.

I would wait do the 08 just for the telescoping wheel more than anything...if they did a wagon. Also you can compare the two engines...

+1 on the telescoping steering wheels, if money isnt an obstacle, wait for the 08 LGT, less depreciation and you can always control your right foot and RPM range for sedate and fuel efficient driving.

All other factors being equal, yup it will make a difference, unless you plan to keep it for 7+ years which I rarely if ever do. So given an almost equal initial cost, the 08 will depreciate less given the same re-sale date v. an 07, no???

-mike

yeah but by how much? $1000? $2000? i agree if its really close to the release of the next model year than sure, wait for the new car, less depreciation when it comes time to sell, but look at it this way.

Lets say you buy a new end of model year 07 for $3-4K less than a new 08 with similar options.

Then lets say two parallel paisans in two parallel universes buy either the 07 or 08 and each parallel universe he runs the same amt of miles, has same maintenance costs and same insurance., accident rates, etc.

Lets say the two parallel universe paisans then come to sell their respect cars at the same point in time, say exactly 5 years from the date of purchase.

Ok so basically the depreciation rate difference between the 07-08 models has to exceed that initial price differnece of $3-4K that i originally estimated, in order to make it worth buying the 08 on that basis alone, right?

So does depreciation really get that bad in the span of one model year, all other things being equal in the two parallel universes?

Im asking, because i seriously dont know what the depreciation of LGT resale rates are over time.

Ed

lol ed, you wrote a story.. i wrote a sentence (post #13).

great minds think alike.

seriously though what is being said above should be taken into consideration. seeing as how some used '06s are going for 21-23k.. (and could have been bought at the end of its model year for like 25k).

-ben

lol ed, you wrote a story.. i wrote a sentence (post #13).

great minds think alike.

I hate writing all that stuff, but i really wanted to spell everything out plainly in terms ppl could understand, even if it required a sci-fi style puppet show.

anyways thats my thought process, theres no law saying ppl have to buy cars logically.

Sorry guys I should have prefaced this with that i'll be doing the VIP program which is fixed at 2% under dealer invoice, which means unless there is a cash-back incentive on the 07 v. 08 the cost will be about $500 different at most.

-mike

I hate writing all that stuff, but i really wanted to spell everything out plainly in terms ppl could understand, even if it required a sci-fi style puppet show.

anyways thats my thought process, theres no law saying ppl have to buy cars logically.

:lol: good point.

-ben

Ed my first thought was in your scenario if the said two people would have a large gap in trade value if they traded within 2 maybe 3 years of purchase. After 3 years the gap will narrow.

However I just went to the dealership website where I trade in my 05 and my old car they have stickered exactly the same price on the lot as an 06 that is within 500 miles.

My guess is they are selling mine as a low mileage 05?

We'll never figure out the used car market because their is no f'ing logic behind it!!!

Sorry guys I should have prefaced this with that i'll be doing the VIP program which is fixed at 2% under dealer invoice, which means unless there is a cash-back incentive on the 07 v. 08 the cost will be about $500 different at most.

-mike

welp, good luck figuring out the one year depreciation rate then, youre on your own *thumsb up*

Archived