LegacyGT.com

07/08 LGT/OB: Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe

AKLGT

This was posted by Subiegal today:

September 18, 2008

Dealer Announcement – Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe

Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated a voluntary Safety Recall to inspect, modify and possibly replace the turbo charger oil supply pipe on approximately 16,715 2007 & 2008 Legacy 2.5GT / Outback 2.5XT, 2008 Impreza WRX (except STI) and a very small number of early production 2009 Forester 2.5XT models.

Campaign code WVF-16 has been assigned to this Safety Recall.

Affected vehicles may have been manufactured with a turbo charger oil supply pipe that was deformed due to misalignment during the assembly process. If the pipe is deformed, vibration experienced during normal driving could result in a crack developing over time, causing an engine oil leak. There is a safety risk associated with this condition. If leaking oil contacts components operating at high temperatures, an engine compartment fire could result.

This recall will involve inspection of the turbo charger oil supply pipe for proper alignment. If the pipe is found to be properly aligned, it will be necessary to install a support bracket as a precautionary measure to increase rigidity of the pipe. If the pipe is found to be deformed, a new replacement pipe and support bracket must be installed. A Recall Campaign bulletin will be released during the week of October 6th. The bulletin will provide additional information

concerning inspection and repair procedures.

General information concerning this Safety Recall:

• Recall Campaign Bulletin - the bulletin is expected to be released during the week of October

6th.

• Repair parts - Information concerning the availability of repair parts will be released in the

near future.

• Owner notification - owner notification letters are expected to be mailed during the week of

October 20th.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides good luck for those who get dealer monkeys replacing the stock line. It requires pulling of intake manifold and even unbolting main water pipe. Lots of things to screw up.

Unclemat is dead on, it's a lot of work. My car still does not feel right after the repair... I hope the rest of you have better luck.

Unclemat is dead on, it's a lot of work. My car still does not feel right after the repair... I hope the rest of you have better luck.

Yes, I my dealer experiences are consistently bad to horrid. For example, they forgot to actually... secure the clamp on the turbo inlet tube :rolleyes:

For that reason go aftermarket. I based my install on what this guy wrote:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-power-performance/101927-turbo-oil-feed-avcs-line-replacement.html

However I used somewhat different set of parts that fits cleaner and easier plus is actually compatible with 07 plumbing (although I have 05) - the 90 deg. line as per the guy's walkthru does not fit on 07+ cars I read.

I'll post my detailed info shortly.

For that reason go aftermarket. I based my install on what this guy wrote:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-power-performance/101927-turbo-oil-feed-avcs-line-replacement.html

However I used somewhat different set of parts that fits cleaner and easier plus is actually compatible with 07 plumbing (although I have 05) - the 90 deg. line as per the guy's walkthru does not fit on 07+ cars I read.

I'll post my detailed info shortly.

:munch: I'm actually consulting w/ a local hydraulic shop for these pieces...I'm curious about your 07 plumbing solution.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

:munch: I'm actually consulting w/ a local hydraulic shop for these pieces...I'm curious about your 07 plumbing solution.

07 compatible solution is to use straight -4AN hose between the Tee and the AVCS, and use -4AN 12mm banjo, not the metric to -4AN adapter - just like stock, which has banjo and banjo bolt there.

This could explain my LGT.B experience when it was brand new, last April. It took two tries, but on the second one (which involved waiting for a new part) they seem to have done it right.

And, in conversations with the tech guy at the time, I discovered that he was dismayed that (1) this looked like a problem with a new design because my case wasn't the first one he'd seen (apparently, though, SOA has decided it was an assembly glitch); and (2) it was a huge PITA to fix because of how deep into the engine compartment they had to burrow to get at the line.

I sure hope it's limited to a range of VINs so that we won't need our OBXT fixed. :icon_eek: HPH

I hope 06 are included I have a leak on the top of the cartridge where the supply line attaches and also on the intercooler inlet I think it may spray under high loads...I checked the BOV recirculate pipe which was clean so I assume no excessive blow by is going on

Does the leak I described above sound like the problem with the recall they are issuing

Archived