LegacyGT.com

06 Legacy GT making a noise

I have an 06 legacy GT with 81,000 miles, the motor and trans were replaced under warranty at 60,000 miles.

When on the gas above 30 miles per hour the car makes a high pitch wine, it goes away as soon as I take my foot off the gas.

The dealer heard the noise and ran the car on a lift, the noise disappeared. They do not think it is the bearings, but they can't isolate where the noise is coming from.

Anyone else experienced this, do you have any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
could be a boost leak, could be a trashed turbo, take a video of the noise.

Someone at the dealer mentioned to me there was a bad seal on a few years that required a new part. I don't know any of the details on this but it would cause a leak in the turbo and make noises like the OP is suggesting.

I started smelling something burning, like gear oil, I checked the front diff it was dry according to the dip stick. Took it to the dealer they found a bad seal and replaced the seal and fluid under the gold extended warranty I have from Subaru. I asked if the front diff could be making the whining noise, he said it was a possibility, but the front diff is not bad so they couldn't justify replacing it.

Just last week the car started vibrating down the highway really bad, pot holes around here suck. I could it to All Weather Tire in Huntington, they checked all four wheels, the balance was perfect, and there was no sign any of the rims were damaged. The mechanic suggested I get the CV joints checked. Not sure if the noise is related to the vibration.

To other things I noticed, when the car is making the noise there is a noticeable vibration coming through the transmission, when the noise is not there the vibration is not there either.

I am working on getting a video where you can actually hear it, its very difficult to capture. Also note when I go full boost, there is an air sucking sound that occurs sometimes, its not Mechanical, nor does it occur at the same time as the grinding noise. There is no boost drop, and except for when its 110 F degrees outside the power feels fine.

The whining noise started after they changed the belts at the 75,000 mile service, they have checked and rechecked them, the dealer says the belts are fine. My Brother in law suspects it could just be the very old components, AC compressor, alternator, etc just acting like 6 year old hardware.

I forgot to mention, the Turbo was also replaced along with the motor. At 70,000 miles my up pipe was replaced under the federal emissions warranty, as the catalyst had failed. My understanding is Subaru removed the catalyst from the up pipe on the 2007 and up models.

Sorry for the long post.

Weird, I was just thinking today that my car was whining more than normal at around the 60mph mark, I wonder if it's the same thing? I thought it sounded like gear whine from the tranny... At 80mph it's pretty much gone, WOT it's gone, just cruising at 60ish I hear it... I also thought it could be fuel pump whine... Does yours sound like it's coming from the rear?

I got it on video, its very hard for me to tell where in the car its coming from. My brother has much better hearing than I do, I am going to drive the car tomorrow and have him sit in the back seat, and front passenger seat to try to isolate if its coming from the front or rear, or the transmission itself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXc0ojPjzY]‪Legacy GT making a whining noise‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Got a second video uploading its a large file size, I'll post it tomorrow.

The Droid X has three microphones I set it to record using all three to maximize the chances of hearing it. You can hear it as the speed builds after I pull away from the second red light.

Edit: I should point out I have the 5EAT transmission, it was replaced at 60K miles by Subaru, engine and turbo were replaced at 58K miles, by Subaru under a combo of the power train and gold extended warranties.

yea sounds like the crown was worn off the ring and pinion. aka diffrential

will it break .. i doubt it. its just annoying.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

yea sounds like the crown was worn off the ring and pinion. aka diffrential

will it break .. i doubt it. its just annoying.

The vibration I am feeling as the car speeds up, could that be worn U joints, or out of balance drive shafts? How can I explain the to the dealer and get them to investigate it under the extended warranty.

Do you think I could get the dealer to replace the front diff under the extended warranty?

One more video, it you skip to the 2:10 mark in the video you can hear the noise, to me it sounds clearer in this second video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LIoB2otUg]‪More of the strange noise‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

most likely diffrential. since if it was the tranny the sound would change depending on the gear selected. unless its the transfer shaft. if it was this it would be distroying it self very quickly

but that sounds like hypoid gear. ran out of oil .. i'd laugh if the dealer forgot to put oil in it after installing the new one, happened at the gm dealer in my town they left the transfer case on a 2500 hd pick up dry.

well as i said before it would probably last forever as is but yes its annoying.

what you can do is jsut keep brining it back to the dealer untill they get fed up and change the tranny!

the sound probably wouldn't occur on the lift because there is not enough load . prehaps put it in 5th and accelerate on the lift. or disable the abs and hold the brakes.

maybe talk to soa ( subaru of america )

they warrenty basicaly says as your car is covered your car should be perfect.

and you don't like driving the car the way it is. and nor should you.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Ok so from what I am reading we can, with almost certainty, rule out a bearing problem.

I spoke to the dealer, this morning they definitely, want to get to the bottom of it too. They suggested Is top by one day when the problems is really bad and take the tech out for a ride. He agrees frank_ster assessment in that its most likely the front diff, and not detrimental to the car, as its been happening for a good 5K miles already.

I will keep everyone posted when and if this gets resolved.

I'm thinking rear diff. Sit someone in the back seat and go for a ride.

See my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-news-today-161677.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking rear diff. Sit someone in the back seat and go for a ride.

See my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-news-today-161677.html

Yours was doing it when you lifted off the gas mine is only doing it under load, does that make a difference.

From what Subaru told me I gotta wait for it to become more pronounced, which I take to mean something falling off or falling, to get any more help from the extended warranty.

My brother in law who is not hard of hearing, I wear hearing aides in both ears, is coming for a ride with me tonight to isolate down which end of the car its coming from.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update on the noise. I waited for the noise to become more constant, and took it to the dealer. The noise is coming from the transmission, they will not know if its the transmission, the front diff or the center diff until they take the transmission out. They are getting the authorization from SOA to replace the whole transmission under my Gold Extended warranty.

I will update again when I know more.

:woowoo:Glad to hear they are being very responsive in customer service!

I use GrandPrix Subaru in Hicksville, NY they have been an outstanding dealer, they have worked with me on numerous occasions to make sure my cars get the work covered.

My Legacy on the other hand has been an absolute nightmare to own its been one problem after another, and that's simply from driving 20 miles to and from work each day. I am so glad I took the Gold extended warranty.

I do not think I am going to buy another Subaru. I've been eyeballing a 2012 Mustang GT

• 1 month later...

Archived