LegacyGT.com

Are the '05's where it's at?

welby

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Legacy GT sometime next summer (Used, can't afford new) and I keep seeing subtle things telling me that the '05's are the ones to have. Is there any real reason for it? An old neighbor of mine had an '05 and took me for a ride a few years ago when it was new. I was shocked at the power of the thing, to be honest.

I read something here the other day that said the '05's feel more "raw" and the newer ones drive more like a V6, which isn't good. I want refined, but I also want the feel of a turbo's frantic rush as well. I have an '87 Regal turbo that is mildly modded and have run a best of 13.01@110 (Major traction issues, lol), but I swear it doesn't feel fast to me at all. The power delivery is very linear and constant. The Legacy GT I rode in felt much faster, even though on a strip my Buick would spank it.

Sometimes the feel is more important than actual numbers, that's what I want in my daily driver.

Are there any real issues with the '06's and up compared to '05? My main concern is going to be with finding an '05 with low mileage by next summer (under 30K, preferrably under 25K), so I might have to look into an '06 or '07. Should I be concerned and or depressed? :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things really started changing after the '05-'06 models. The '07 is kind of an in-between, especially when you start looking at the Spec.B.

There are many threads detailing the differences between model years but I am glad I went with the '06.

If you can live without a 6speed, SI-drive or VDC (dynamic traction control) then stick with the '05-'07 GT. If you need 60:40 folding rear seat or aux in you need '07+.

Many times there are aftermarket solutions to common problems (aux in, for example)...

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Legacy GT sometime next summer (Used, can't afford new) and I keep seeing subtle things telling me that the '05's are the ones to have. Is there any real reason for it? An old neighbor of mine had an '05 and took me for a ride a few years ago when it was new. I was shocked at the power of the thing, to be honest.

I read something here the other day that said the '05's feel more "raw" and the newer ones drive more like a V6, which isn't good. I want refined, but I also want the feel of a turbo's frantic rush as well. I have an '87 Regal turbo that is mildly modded and have run a best of 13.01@110 (Major traction issues, lol), but I swear it doesn't feel fast to me at all. The power delivery is very linear and constant. The Legacy GT I rode in felt much faster, even though on a strip my Buick would spank it.

Sometimes the feel is more important than actual numbers, that's what I want in my daily driver.

Are there any real issues with the '06's and up compared to '05? My main concern is going to be with finding an '05 with low mileage by next summer (under 30K, preferrably under 25K), so I might have to look into an '06 or '07. Should I be concerned and or depressed? :lol:

Finding an '05 with less than 25k miles will be tougher though. However, 05 and 06 are more of the same.

Short recap, search for more differences, please:

06 has fewer color combinations (interior colors are set to exterior colors)

06 has better side impact crash ratings

06 has different wheel caps, slightly different keyfob design, silver housing (instead of black) headlights,

06 offers NAV in 5EAT LGTs

When comparing apples to apples, 05 and 06 power is identical at stock levels. 05's dont feel more raw, than the same car in '06. 07-08 specBs may be of a different power/feel, but that is due to transmission/SI/wheel size changes.

Basically, mostly its the same car. The changes with 07s and 08s are also well documented on here.

Go Cardinals!

When comparing apples to apples, 05 and 06 power is identical at stock levels. 05's dont feel more raw, than the same car in '06. 07-08 specBs may be of a different power/feel, but that is due to transmission/SI/wheel size changes.

The gear ratio is taller in '07 + '08, that might be where the less "raw" thing came from. MY05 is the first year for the current gen LGT. I usually try to avoid buying first version of a new generation because there are bond to be some growing pain. I would say '06 is the year to go for but then again I'm biased. ;)

:spin:MY05FORLIFEFORLIFEMY05:spin:

Regal Blue Pearl is the only reason to go 05 IMHO. And hopefully by now the previous owner has rectified studder, shudder, wheel bearings, turbo casing cracks, RE92's, clutch stink, cluck squeal, reverse gear-ism's, H7 bulb burnouts, intercooler soapings, dash rattles, dimmer ILL. 6, cabinfilterretrofitfromhell, and fouled the seatbelt chime into oblivion....

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

The 05's are physically lighter than their later counterparts. Rear gearing is different that later models 4.11 vs 3.90. I would also describe the power delivery as more raw which I like. And of course they are easy to mod.

:spin:MY05FORLIFEFORLIFEMY05:spin:

Regal Blue Pearl is the only reason to go 05 IMHO. And hopefully by now the previous owner has rectified studder, shudder, wheel bearings, turbo casing cracks, RE92's, clutch stink, cluck squeal, reverse gear-ism's, H7 bulb burnouts, intercooler soapings, dash rattles, dimmer ILL. 6, cabinfilterretrofitfromhell, and fouled the seatbelt chime into oblivion....

You make them sound so appealing :eek::lol:

But I'm willing to trade "quirks" for character. If I wanted to drive a refridgerator I'd buy a Camry :p

But I'm willing to trade "quirks" for character. If I wanted to drive a refridgerator I'd buy a Camry :p

had mine since 04, 24k on the odo, about 20 of it at stage 2 and zero probs. loved it as soon as i test drove it and didnt care it was a first year run. best car i've ever owned and always fun to drive

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The 05's are physically lighter than their later counterparts. Rear gearing is different that later models 4.11 vs 3.90. I would also describe the power delivery as more raw which I like. And of course they are easy to mod.

Non-limited LGT is available in '05, while '06+ LGT are all limited. If you want the lightest LGT possible from factory '05 non-limited is the one. The weight difference is 50-60 lbs IIRC. Other than that I think '05 limited and '06 limited should weight about the same. All cars made after March of '07 on don't have the aluminum hood and other bits so they are heavier.

'05 and '06 have the same gear ratio as I stated in the previous post. '07 and '08 shouldn't be any harder to mod once Cobb releases the new AP software for them. From my understanding that should be very soon... :rolleyes: I remember reading that the '07's turbo housing has a slightly different design. Suppose to make the turbo more efficient, which might lead to more power potential. But until we start seeing more '07 and '08 tuned it's just all speculation.

Actually mine's been pretty error free. One wheel bearing issue at about 30K, under warranty, a bevy of burnt out headlamp bulbs (could have fixed that years ago with HID install), and an AF sensor. I do have the stutter-shudder but again, if I had just popped for a COBB AP that would be a non-issue also. Not bad for the first MY of a car's total redesign me thinks.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

• 4 weeks later...
Non-limited LGT is available in '05, while '06+ LGT are all limited.quote]

That's incorrect. There is an '06 LGT non-limited. There is also the '06 GT Limited. I own an 06 GT Limited but almost got the GT non-limited.

Non-limited LGT is available in '05, while '06+ LGT are all limited.quote]

That's incorrect. There is an '06 LGT non-limited. There is also the '06 GT Limited. I own an 06 GT Limited but almost got the GT non-limited.

Negative. All 06+ GTs are limited only. There are 06 non-limited OBXTs though.

I chalk my mis-information up to the wonderful sales rep who was somehow going to get me a non-limited. Bet ya he was gonna' sell me an '05 as an '06. Bastids!

:lol:

Never ever take what a salesman says at face value. The guy has probably been on the job for 2 days, you probably know more about the car you are buying than him.

:lol:

Never ever take what a salesman says at face value. The guy has probably been on the job for 2 days, you probably know more about the car you are buying than him.

Most Subaru sales people would probably tell you they could get you an '06 wagon with manual transmission (in the US).

All you have to do is just sign here. :p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Low mileage '05s are out there...mine has 17,xxx miles (albeit it is an auto trans). I think Subaru had big hopes for model year 2005 and overbuilt, so there were a lot of leftovers (al least in our area).
It is still ugly.

Archived