05 OBXT - won't shift into any gear

Benjamin M

2005 Outback XT

OEM 5MT

Installed in September '13

OEM WRX SMFW

FX350 Clutch

TSK3 TOB Kit

Never had any previous issue with engaging in any gear 1-5, Rev would sometimes give me fits.

Drove the vehicle to Houma, LA from Houston, TX, no issues. Parked it for 15 days. Came back and the car took a few turns before it fired. Disengaged ebrake, depressed clutch and couldn't get it to go in any gear.

Shut the car off and restarted and attempted again with the same result.

Turned car off, depressed clutch, and was able to engage any gear 1-5 and Rev. Put back in neural and started the car but again wasn't able to engage any gear.

Shut car off. Depressed clutch, engaged first gear. Started the car and even with the clutch pedal depressed fully, the car lurched forward.

Had a passer by depress the clutch pedal and I watched the clutch slave cylinder, it actuated each time the clutch pedal was pressed.

Thoughts?

Spoke with Rick at Undgerdog and possibly thought things might be "stuck" together. Attempted starting the car with the ebrake, brake and clutch to "break" things free, no luck.

Attempted side stepping the clutch a few times as well, no luck.

Clutch pedal has full range of motion and has good pressure (same pressure as when it was working).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

I had this issue when I installed my FX350 on my 5mt. Basically for whatever reason (fresh clutch was "thicker" maybe?) the clutch would never FULLY disengage. I ended up needing to adjust the clutch pedal and that fixed the issue.

Odd though that you would experience that after parking the car for a while.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Actually, since you say the car "lurched" forward upon starting it in gear, that's NOT what my car was doing. Mine would just start rolling forward like the clutch was just barely engaged. Yours sounds like it's completely engaged--i.e. sounds more like Rick's hunch might be right.

Have you tried sidestepping the clutch a couple of times?

• Moderators
Well I'm in a parking lot surrounded by F350 king ranches (BP heliport parking lot) so not too much room and I've never side stepped a clutch before.

Do it with the car off, not on. Just slip your foot off and let it bang to the top.

• Moderators
This feels like bad news, but with the car off I am able to put the car in any gear (1-5) except reverse WITHOUT depressing the clutch pedal. :/

Perfectly normal.

Going to see what Randy knows about subaru transmissions. Subarus are pretty popular is southern Louisiana right?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/y8ugasyb.jpg

Slapped her on the ass, told her to behave herself, and reassured her I'd be back in 2 weeks to pick her up.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/sanygu7y.jpg

I guess she didn't appreciate the slap on the ass. :(

Really hoping this turns out to be a simple fix for you!

Archived