LegacyGT.com

05 LGTL wagon - cargo boxes - Yakima Sky Box 16?

petes99

Hi guys,

I recently picked up the Yakima EZ Rider crossbar set for my LGT Limited Wagon.. its great for my bikes (copperhead mounts), but now a dog is in the picture, so wagon space is even more limited. Time for a cargo box, and I've read a pile of threads here about them.. I want to confirm that I've got the right info here..

The Yakima Sky Box 16 - has a length of 81" - it does not interfere with the wagon spoiler? is this with it mounted way forward? what's the difference, besides color, between the Pro and regular Sky Box?

What's a good competitor to this box, or is it the best?

..and do you want the faring installed with the cargo box in place?

Thanks for any help!!!

pete

Get the THule Atlantis 1600, you can center it over your roof and it'll clear the wagon spoiler.

its got the adjustable feet/grips so no need for extra hardware.

http://store.mpgear.com/ProductImages/thule/Atlantis1200.jpg

BTW, reason we picked it up is cuz we have a 110lb mastiff mix and now a 1yo daughter ;)

~Sucka-Duck~

I have a Yakima RocketBox 16 and it does hit the spoiler. I like the Thule ones for the ability to open on either side (prior setup of course).

I noticed no difference with a fairing installed with the box on. It's always loud!

Either way they are incredibly useful and durable, and I barely notice a change in the drive ability of the car. I dont really experience a lot of wind shear, nor do I notice the car bog down at all.

I have Yakima Skybox Pro 16 (in black), very nice box, way better than anything Thule. Look at the mounting hardware or lid hinges, it will be instantly apparent. Pro has nicer stiffer lid material (and shiny).

I didn't use it on LGT though, but on our XL-7 only.

Here's my setup...honestly can't remember which one this is, other then Yakima Skybox. The spoiler barely clears, but it does. You can adjust from inside the exact placement, so it will slide forward and backward a little bit as you need. Opens from either side. Holds lots of stuff.http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/slmorsell/resizewithbox.jpg

haha - THANKS for the pic AK, you just gave me a preview of my weekend. except i'll be in VT/NH/NY, not Alaska.. and i need to get my windows tinted ;) .

looks like the 16, i think: http://www.rackattack.com/dynamicimages/productimages/yakima-skybox-16.jpg

I think it is the 16, just couldn't remember 100%. Nice ride you have there...lol. We'll be cross-continent twins when you get your rack. Except the tint ;) It's too dark, anyway...I just can't afford to redo it right now...makes driving in our long dark winters a little more gloomy and I can't see crap when I'm backing up...:lol:

I have always been a fan of Thule. The new Thule boxes are ok but I really like the 1st gen Evolution from Thule. You could probably find a really good deal on a used one.

Here are some photos of my Evo 16 on my old Audi. I do have a silver Outback now but do not want to put the box on just to take a picture.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/avantrtfront.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/avantrtback.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/avantleft.jpg

And when I made my big move in my Rodeo I had ample room with adding a second box.

PS I hated that truck. Lucky for me a cab hit it when parked in front of my house and totaled it.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/CIMG1073.jpg

Now with the check for the insurance company I bought the OB.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/IMG_0361.jpg

Comes down to personal preference, I guess. I think the Thule boxes are kind of ugly in comparison. They both essentially do the same thing, so get what you want is what I say. I wasn't going pay a couple hundred extra for a name and a box that I think looks worse. It does look pretty good on your Audi, although I think that is largely because of the color match.

Comes down to personal preference, I guess. I think the Thule boxes are kind of ugly in comparison. They both essentially do the same thing, so get what you want is what I say. I wasn't going pay a couple hundred extra for a name and a box that I think looks worse. It does look pretty good on your Audi, although I think that is largely because of the color match.

Sorry about that. My intent was not to offend you. I deleted the ugly part.

I would like to add that the silver color has a few advantages.

1) It almost matches every car you would put it on because most cars have silver wheels.

2) Silver reflects the sun and keeps the box cool in the sun. If you use the box for camping, kayaking, or surfing you will probably be putting wet things in the box and after one hot day in direct sunlight you will find a smelly surprise.

Oh thanks, but I wasn't offended...;)

I have no problem with aesthetic disagreements...no big deal to me. That's a good point about the black absorbing the heat, though. I'm in Alaska, and that's generally not a huge issue with what I tend to carry, but I can see the point if you're in a warmer climate or carrying wet gear.

I have the Yakima Skybox 16 Pro, and it just barely clears the rear spoiler. Opens on both sides and is easy to adjust between my car and the wifes. I have had both Yakima and Thule boxes. Both work fine. Pick one you like and be done.;)

I prefer the Thule Atlantis (posted) over the Yakimas. The Thule's if you force the locks to engage and they don't, you don't break anything.

The Yak's, if they don't engage them and you force them closed, they'll snap easily.

For best ride/handling comfort, and reduced noise, try to draw a line starting from the base of the window, following the arc of the window up past the top of the window, continuing upward on that same arc until the top of the line would be physically above your Skybox. Immediately behind that imaginary line is where you want the front edge of the Skybox to sit. Any further forward and you're in the slipstream and your box will buffet and squirm and you'll feel it through the entire car.

However, putting a 16 CuFt Skybox that far aft on a wagon roof will restrict the rear hatch from opening completely, because the rear spoiler will hit the back end of the box. It only curtails the last few inches of opening and I just throw a doubled-up microfiber cloth over the spoiler and all's good.

The pictures below are of my wagon with a Yakima 16 CuFt Pro Box loaded with about 80 lbs of camping gear on one of our desert camping trips. I looked at both the Thule and the Yakima box and decided that the Yakima Pro gave me more space where I needed it (centered in the box) so that became my determining factor over the Thule.

For this trip, the Pro Box was mounted up using the Subaru OEM cross-bar kit (which I like for its locking feature and solid mounting system). However, I've relegated the Subaru CBK to full-time kayak hauling duty and use a set of 48" Yakima bars with the Yakima EZ-Rider Tower setup. Mounts a bit higher than the Subaru one, but is equally stable in high cross winds IME.

BTW - the difference between the Skybox "Pro" and the regular is a smooth, silver-painted top half surface on the Pro models versus a rougher, all-black top half. Otherwise, internally, and hardware-wise (including its mounting and locking system) they are identical. Both the Skybox and my Pro open/lock on both sides, using a three-ball locking system on each side, and both sides have pull straps that make it easy to pull down the top and then audibly "click" each of the three internal ball-locks, before securing/locking the outside opening mechanism.

FWIW - The painted Pro top half is too easily scratched in my experience - which is why I went with the regular, rough, black version. Before I mount it up, I just coat the top (and bottom) halves with a good coat of Armor All vinyl/plastic protectant (so it's uber slippery), and it's good to go.

There is no way to mount up the fairing, nor would you want to with the box.

HTH

1883367290_Wagonw-boxandegg.thumb.JPG.a8957eda391431e5dd8c6466c5d36096.JPG

1778235331_Wagonw-boxandegg-2.thumb.JPG.2e6962cde1f428eba2b857e7a8642223.JPG

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

thule box, not sure which one. good size. hits my spoiler (mach v add on), roomates smaller thule box (lower volume same length) hits his standard spoiler. box is max forward

That looks like an 18 CF or larger (21 CF?) box, especially sitting that far forward AND extending far enough aft to hitting the spoiler on it.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived