LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT vs '03 EVO

IB6UB9

I have been very interested in purchasing an '05 LGT 5MT for a while, but I just recently realized that the '03 EVO is close to my price range. I would most likely be purchasing the car next year, and I would like to spend between $15,000 and $17,000.

So far, I would say the LGT would be better because it's newer, insurance would be cheaper, nicer interior, sleeper appeal, and more reliable.

But the EVO is faster and better looking IMO, and the audio system is much easier to upgrade.

What do you guys think???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it all depends on what YOU wanna do...

ive been part of the Evo/lancer community for a looong time!...

and there are a lot of cool evo guys, and there are a lot of idiot ones, living in socal, ive pretty seen everything that can be done to an evo, and its not as rare as the GT...

i was at a similar road two years ago, obviously i ended with the GT, and there isnt a day i regret it

not the evoX on the other hand, we'll have to see about that

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

www.mitsubishisucks.com They have some good (bad) info on all mitsu's

nice to quote the site, but every manufacturer is gonna have their probelms...just so happens that a lot more than usual whining panzies bought the evo and / or mitsu

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

from a performance aspect. You'll be hard pressed to ever match an evo if its been modified in an lgt. But for overall drive ability i think the lgt wins hands down. And all the yadda yadda evo interiors suck is a bunch of bullshit. You just have to respect it for what it is... an EVO. Its nice enough.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I'd definetly say it depends how long you want the car to last. Obviously ones going to have crazy speed out the door, but see how long it runs. I've had 3 friends dump their Evo's after a few years of owning them because they are extremely high maintenence, cost a ton to maintain and keep running. And after riding in one, the interior seems cheap as hell compared to the LGT, so IMO you're really looking at 2 completely different cars.

I did a very similar comparo two nights ago between my 05 LGT 5MT and my buddy's 04 Evo.

I have a different take on the driveability of the Evo. Stock for stock, I think it's definitely more driveable than the Legacy. The Recaro seats, the notchy and defined shift gates, the positive clutch feedback and experience, and the lighter yet more direct steering of the Evo are superior to the Legacy GT.

However, it's not more practical than a Legacy.

Subaru is a better product than ANY Mitsu, hands down. These are two completely different cars so hard to make an apples to apples comparison here. STI and EVO better to compare with the STi beating it out considerably.

EVO will outperform the Leggy, but the Leggy is a better product, nice ride, better looking.

They're pretty different cars. Do NOT make a decision without driving both.

As others have said, the Evo is far more fun while the LGT has a much nicer interior, is more relaxing, and should be cheaper to maintain and insure. And in wagon form the LGT can haul a lot more. If the Evo wagon was sold in the US, or even if the sedan had folding rear seats, I probably would've bought one instead of my LGT wagon.

If you're comparing sedan to sedan the LGT's only advantages are its nicer and quieter interior and cheaper insurance+maintenance. The Legacy isn't much roomier than a Lancer (Evo), and in 05 the sedan didn't have folding rear seats, so the 05 LGT sedan really isn't any more practical than an Evo.

Oh, and an Evo will draw far, FAR more attention, and usually not the good kind.

What defines a "better" product? Maybe more reliable, but better? I've ruled out driveability differences. And matt's ruled out practicality variances.

As others have said, I think it boils down to your own subjective criteria and seat-of-your-pants feel.

Are you kidding me? First off, yes reliability can go real far in defining "better product"..Not to mention perception in the marketplace. Mitsu is second-rate, low cost operator, not even in the same overall class as Subaru.

I think the EVO is the car all the kids buy that can't afford the STi. I am not saying it is not a performer, but it is not on the same level of overall product quality, reliability, perception, history, warranty, one of the best AWD systems in the world, boxer motors, etc.

Mitsu as a product to me is a notch above a Hyundai.

My occupation? Waiter.lol At least until I finish school(2 years)

I want a fast, fun car...but I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb to the popos either. I know the LGT is more practical, but the EVO is intruiging, you know??? I guess it comes down to the fact that I probably need something more reliable and cheaper on insurance, because I won't really be able to afford high maintenance bills along with high insurance bills...not to mention a car payment, rent, school, and miscellanious expenses.

If you're still in school, you better have fun while it lasts! But then again, an LGT will have lower insurance which will probably better suit your budget. But you also have to keep in mind, how long you will be keeping this car and will it be acceptable when you find a job after school. I had my fair share of Imprezas, 6 of them to be exact and I got an LGT when I graduated to better suit the job I have now.

Are you kidding me? First off, yes reliability can go real far in defining "better product"..Not to mention perception in the marketplace. Mitsu is second-rate, low cost operator, not even in the same overall class as Subaru.

I think the EVO is the car all the kids buy that can't afford the STi. I am not saying it is not a performer, but it is not on the same level of overall product quality, reliability, perception, history, warranty, one of the best AWD systems in the world, boxer motors, etc.

lol get your head out of subies ass...

Since you are buying used, let me offer this bit of advice. There is no such thing as an all original, unmolested Evo. I spend a lot of time at my buddy's tuner shop and every recently purchased used Evo shows signs of abuse and sloppy demodding prior to trade-in. They are universally basket cases that will never be right. Unfortunately the same pretty much goes for WRX's and STi's as well.

The LGT on the other hand, while appealing to the enthusiasts out there, is still largely aimed at a mass market crowd. So the chances of getting a well cared for, adult driven and completely stock vehicle are vastly higher. That is always a better starting point than a car that was driven hard by some kid, had a bunch of crap parts sloppily installed and uninstalled when it was sold.

I haven't seen an EVO of any year for less than 23K yet, not even an EVO RS

I think my buddy's finance balance on his '04 Evo RS is $16K, actually...

Someone else already addressed this...

My occupation? Waiter.lol At least until I finish school(2 years)

I want a fast, fun car...but I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb to the popos either.... I guess it comes down to the fact that I probably need something more reliable and cheaper on insurance, because I won't really be able to afford high maintenance bills along with high insurance bills...not to mention a car payment, rent, school, and miscellanious expenses.

More than anything, I think your budget will refine your choice. There's no point biting off more than you can chew, only to find yourself subsisting off of Cup o' Noodles bulk packs from Costco. :p But, honestly, I think the Legacy is more than capable of addressing your performance needs. It certainly satisfies mine, coming from BMW's (E36 / E46 M3, etc.).

I see your current car is a honda accord. (mine is as well... will be getting an lgt in june when i graduate college) though the lgt is not as fast as an evo it will be so much faster than the accord with almost twice the horsepower and more than 2x the torque. you should take that into consideration because it will be a huge jump from where you are at now. I have driven my buddies modded srt-4 and that thing is a monster, beating modded evos all day long, but there is a lot more to a car than how fast it is. Day in day out I think an lgt would be much easier to live with than the evo. is speed fun? you bet your ass, but there is something to be said for sophistication that doesnt come with an evo or srt with a straight pipe side exit.

Archived