LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT Ltd cabin filter - retrofit

coarsegoldkid

I read all that I found on this forum regarding the cabin filter and I can say this forum's members are great. With all the pictures available the PITA filter looks manageable. I intend to get to it. Yesterday I was at my Sub dealer and asked the service writer about the kit and install cost just to hear his response. When I got home I wrote the following email to Subaru.

I own a '05 Legacy Sedan GT Limited vin number 4S3BL676354218768. I inquired at my local dealer about changing the cabin filter and if any retro fit kits exist for it. The service writer said No kits. He also told me for $50 for the filter and $85 for labor they will change it. Wow for an air filter.

I have read on the Legacy Forum where many owners have replaced the filter but it was unclear as to which '05 Legacys had retro fit kits and which did not. Can you help me figure this out by the VIN number.

Oh, why did Subaru make a cabin filter so difficult to change?

joe harvey

Subaru response

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am sorry for this experience at Herwaldt Subaru. We do appreciate that you brought this situation to our attention.

We do offer retrofit kits for the air filtration system (cabin air filter) for our 2005 Legacy and Outback models. Some of our 2005 Legacy and Outback models are equipped to just accept the air filtration system. Those that were manufactured early in the production year, such as your 2005 Legacy Sedan, there is a retrofit kit. The part number is SOA342L500. This part is available at our Parts Warehouses and can be purchased through any authorized Subaru dealership.

With this message, I have attached the installation instructions for this retrofit kit, so that you can see how it is installed.

I am sorry, as I cannot advise of why this filter was designed and is installed as it is.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please let us know. So there we have from the horses mouth. But writers on this fourm that tread the waters before me didn't you discover that the retro fit kit of the part number given in Subaru's response was discontinued.

Guess I'll just follow what the adventurous among you did for the rest of us.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the retrofit kit, it's still PITA to change the filter, about 15 minutes. Being a mechanical engineer, my best guess would be something got messed up during the design phase and the air filter had to be relocated. If the entire assembly was about 5" to the left, the filter would come right out when you pull out the cubby that the owners manual sits in.

As far as the filter, some of us just take household HVAC air filter and cut to fit.

Coarsegold, CA is about 30 miles due north of Fresno in a wide spot on Hwy 41. Roughly one hour from Yosemite National Park.

Attached is the document sent by Subaru. Sorry I'm doing something wrong because the attachement will not attach.

The only parts of the document I could copy and paste are below. None of the diagrams could be c & p. Not much help.

PART NUMBER: SOA342L500

DESCRIPTION: 2005MY LEGACY

AIR FILTRATION CONVERSION KIT

KIT CONTENTS:

1) Installation Instructions

2) Filter Carrier (PN: 73553AG02B)

3) Glove Box Trim Panel (PN: 66208AG02B)

4) Air Filter Element Including Service Label and Caution Label (PN: G3210AG000)

TOOLS REQUIRED:

1) Slotted Screwdriver

2) Phillips Screwdriver

I thought the conversion kit was discussed a while back...

You probably don't need the conversion kit, likely just the filter. You MAY have the Filter Holder/Carrier and the Glove Box Trim Panel won't make it any easier/faster to change the filter. I ended up doing it and found that I already had the updated (later build date - 373xxx than yours).

If you have any section of cloth in the back the glove box you most likely have the updated parts. Even w/o it you likely have the filter carrier in there. If you don't have the carrier I've got an extra I could ship you.

Also there is an article on how to install the Filter which was better than the write up that Subaru provided...

I posted a write up while following the Subie directions and I posted photos from this change and I looked at the difference between our '05 and '06. The black cloth piece covers a hole on the plastic firewall panel that runs from behind the glove box to the floor. If you have this cloth piece, you do not need to disassemble the dash or console at all, you go in from the right edge of the glove box. It's still PITA because the hole doesn't align with the carrier. The engineering concept was obviously to have it slide out but they missed.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18263

• 5 months later...

If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote=Opie;1221564................

2008 Parts needed:

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

In addition to the above parts listed by Opie, I also needed:

2pc: 902510011 nut

My dealer is quoting $80 to replace the filter. I'm thinking it might not be worth it to replace this thing each year. Are there any negative consequences of removing the filter for good? I mean I don't live in a plastic bubble. Do I really care if I ingest some dust in the car?

I bought all the parts needed (minus the subaru filter) and did the swap today.

I think it was worth the effort putting all the pieces in. I should be able to swap the filter in about 5 minutes now, compared to 25 before.

For the filter media I am using 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen 1250. A 20x25x1 sheet ($15) makes six filters for the Subaru.

So, What I got out of that email is that some 05 LGTs (earlier production) need the retrofit kit to install the cabin filter. But the later production 05s need just a filter installed? Am I missing something here?

Also, how can I tell by my VIN # whether or not my 05 LGT was produced early or late?

• 1 month later...
If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Opie did you ever do the write up of the 2008 conversion when you did your wife's legacy?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

Opie, I was wondering if you ever got around to photo documenting your wife's Legacy glove box conversion?

Archived