LegacyGT.com

05 LGT with 08-10 STi bucket seats installed!

nsrt4me

So I decided to take on the project of fabbing and installing a pair of 2008 STi bucket seats into my 05 LGT. It took a total of 9 hours to do the swap. I went into this project having no knowledge of what the outcome would be. After many hours of sweating, bleeding, cursing, diet Coke pounding, and scratching my head, Im extremely satisfied with the results.

EDIT: I retained 100% factory sensors, airbags, and heaters!

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x335/nsrt4me/2011-11-20_12-19-32_486.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x335/nsrt4me/2011-11-20_12-19-23_521.jpg

Sorr for the dirty car, just snapped the pics on my phone after the install!

Basically, nothing plugs and plays! lol. The stock seat bottom frames have to be reused along with all the sensors, airbags, heaters, etc. The seats are SUPER comfortable. I was pissed at losing my adjustable lumbar support, but I havent had any pain yet. The seats are very supportive, yet they are somehow softer in a way on the bottom. They sit with your butt closer to the ground kind of with the knee section a little higher like racing seats. These seats are much better than my previous srt-4 viper seats. They also will fit a larger guy without much pain. Im 6'0 and 195 and have plenty of comfort.

• 1 month later...
Please write it up; I just bought an '08 STi driver's seat because my mechanic said "we'll make it work - no problem," and as soon as he took a look at the connections, he called me back and said "uh, this isn't going to work." I have the seat listed for sale in the Mountain West thread, but I'd rather use it if you can post instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
You guys probably wont bo comfortable doing what needs to be done in order to get these to work IMO. Just to say, there is grinding, drilling, airbag swapping among other things involved. I dont really want to do a write up for the fact that I know that people will bi*ch about what it takes to do it. But if enough people want one, Ill consider.

Hmmm...like this a lot. Out of curiosity, would you ever think about doing this for someone else for a fee?

I would probably do this for others, however, Im altering safety devices etc. I wouldnt want it somehow coming back to me, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise I'd def do it, just dont think its worth it right now.

If this thread gets a few more requests, I'll put up a how to.

You could always do the usual disclaimers like the developers over at xda do for people messing with their phones/devices. "You break it, or hurt yourself, I'm in no way responsible for what happens. etc. "

Just a thought. I know it's pretty much a given, but I'm not sure legally how someone could even try and hold you responsible. But I'm also not a lawyer, so don't listen to me.

I'm selling an '08 driver's seat in the classifieds if someone wants to tackle this project; just bought a wagon with tan interior (I know...) so there's no way I'm going to use this seat afterall (might make a nice package deal to go along with my silver/black wagon that I'll be unloading shortly, though...).

Im curious as to what grinding and drilling has to be done. I figured it would just be like installing the previous gen STI seats. Switching over the seat belt buckles, heaters, and air bags from your OEM seats to the STI seats. And then getting the manual power seat brackets (if your so lucky to have the automatic seats) to match up to the STI base. So that the seats can bolt into the car. Dealing with the hog pins on both sets of seats is the only "hard" part I could see in this. For those interested.. if this is just like putting the previous gen STI seats in the car... there are a few other write ups on the forum. You just have to look for them. Just labor intensive.

So what are the chances of swapping the STI seats onto my factory power bases? Including the seat back. It'd be cool to have full power STI seats.

I actually find my factory seats comfortable enough, but I wish they were a little more "sporty."

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived