LegacyGT.com

05 GT - Not Starting, Help!

Hi,

I have an 05 GT 5 Speed with 120K miles on it. Changed the oil Friday night, backed the car out of the garage and parked it, no problems. Came back Saturday morning and it would not start. Gauges, lights and stereo came on as normal, but when the key was turned, nothing.

The battery was a few years old and I knew that it was going to need replacement, so I installed a brand new battery (Exide). Everything came back as before, but would not start. There is no noise coming from the starter. The clutch makes the sound like it is pressurizing when pushed down.

Any ideas?? I have done some searches on here but nothing definitive. A few things.

1) Key - seems a bit loose as I turn. The detent between 3 and 4 doesn't seem like it goes the full way. The red surround light goes out after I pass the 3 detent (is this normal?). Can the key cylinder go bad and need replacement? Can I bypass to check? If it needs replacement, has anyone done this?

2) Clutch Lockout Switch - Have jiggled around the wires and tried to engage in/out to build up pressure to unstick the switch. All of the wires appear to be plugged in. Can I bypass this to rule out the switch as a culprit?

3) Starter - no issues previously. I have had the minor screeching briefly after starting in cold weather (as on here on here as well), but that has been for a few years. When the battery has been drained before, the starter would make the clicking sound that there was no more juice. Can I test the starter somehow to see if this is still working? Bypass or jump it?

4) Immobilizer Key - the key fob has the lock/unlock, but does the actual key have a chip as well? If yes, does it need to have the battery replaced?

5) Bump start the car down a hill? This would prove the car is capable of running, but does it rule out anything else as being the problem?

Any other ideas? Can it be something related to the oil change? I went through the checklist of steps in the oil change process and everything was completed.

I don't want to bring it to a dealer or shop and have them start throwing parts at the problem. Time, money and downtime.

Thanks for your help.

Does it make any clicks when you go to start the car? usually this is the result of the solenoid firing but you could have worn the contacts out. I would bump start the car just to make sure that the it is running fine and then investigate the starter.

• 1 month later...

I would clean the battery terminals and cable on the starter, if that doesn't help replace the starter. You were having the starter hang on after starting when cold, that's the hint the starter is going. My starter hung up when cold for years.

I replaced mine after it would even crank the first time. So far it's been fine.

These starters seem to be a big topic here lately. I think your the 3rd guy this week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe that the immobilizer does NOT prevent the engine from cranking. I tbink it just cuts fuel. Each time I unplug the battery and try starting the car, the car will not start th first time BUT engine is cranking. Anyways, just saying dead immobilizer would still allow the starter to do its job.

^ not always ..

the solonoid is a relay and the contacts wear out. so the relay closes but does not pass the power onto the startermotor.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Should I try to get a starter installed tomorrow at the dealer? or should I get something from the internets? autopartswarehouse has them.

Startergeddon 2012!

Napa is inexpensive for a reman and they carry a 3 year warrantee. Cold weather brings out the worst in starting and charging systems.

I wouldn't rule out the clutch switch just yet. My GT would act dead for a second or two or crank once then wait a second and continue cranking. Other times it would crank just fine. That's how I knew that my clutch switch was going, even though the wires looked to be connected just fine.

I wouldn't rule out the clutch switch just yet. My GT would act dead for a second or two or crank once then wait a second and continue cranking. Other times it would crank just fine. That's how I knew that my clutch switch was going, even though the wires looked to be connected just fine.

Even though I drive an automatic and am not a mechanic by trade, I'm putting my money on this one based on past experience with other cars.

It is still ugly.

I cleaned the contacts for the battery. Still didn't start well. I brought it to Autozone to get the batter tested, and it was Bad. So that was an easy fix. I had a Napa battery in there before; woof.

Glad it wasn't the starter.

It was a little surprising that it was the Battery because it was never dead, it always started, albeit shitily.

glad it was a simple fix. sometimes people worry about the big things before checking the simple normal wear item...the battery.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived