LegacyGT.com

'05 5 speed gt is faster than '07 6 speed spec b!!!

I have a stock '05 gt limited wagon and it is faster and better than a '07 spec b. I will explain. I test drove the spec b saturday and I am unimpressed. The six speed is pointless. One has to shift to third year to get to 60mph. I could not drop the clutch to get a fast start. The "computer" cuts of the clutch to prevent you from "damaging" the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this? The brake feel, gauges, and clutch are definitely better, but I bet that 0-60 mph is better on my '05. Does anyone have any insight into this significant change in the driving experience? I think it must be due to warranty issues with the clutch. I can smoke the tires on my car, but I could not get this spec b to do the same. Why is everyone so impressed by a 6 speed transmission? Maybe they enjoy playing with their "stick" as much as possible. One looses several 1/10 of seconds in the shifting process. So if one has to shift to 3rd to get to 60 than you will get to that speed about a 1/4 to 1/2 second slower. I would like to get some input from someone with

a better understanding of manual trans or gearing ratios.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if one has to shift to 3rd to get to 60

Pro Tip - you have to shift to third gear in the 5 MT to get to 60MPH (100KPH) anyway. I would personally love to see your engine shit a brick trying to get it to 60 in 2nd.

As well, my toilet has more liters than your car - i'm gonna turbo it and own you, OLDSCHOOL

I have a stock '05 gt limited wagon and it is faster and better than a '07 spec b. I will explain. I test drove the spec b saturday and I am unimpressed. The six speed is pointless. One has to shift to third year to get to 60mph. I could not drop the clutch to get a fast start. The "computer" cuts of the clutch to prevent you from "damaging" the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this? The brake feel, gauges, and clutch are definitely better, but I bet that 0-60 mph is better on my '05. Does anyone have any insight into this significant change in the driving experience? I think it must be due to warranty issues with the clutch. I can smoke the tires on my car, but I could not get this spec b to do the same. Why is everyone so impressed by a 6 speed transmission? Maybe they enjoy playing with their "stick" as much as possible. One looses several 1/10 of seconds in the shifting process. So if one has to shift to 3rd to get to 60 than you will get to that speed about a 1/4 to 1/2 second slower. I would like to get some input from someone with

a better understanding of manual trans or gearing ratios.

Maybe people like the 6 speed b/c drag racing isn't everything. As far as carving up corners and actions other than flooring it, the six speed has its advantages. I admit, the 6 speed in the spec b could be a lot better, but there's a reason a lot of sports cars out there use 6 speeds, I don't know why this seems to be such a foreign concept to some '05-'06 LGT owners.

I would love to keep my tranny and have a nice 6th gear to get 30mpg on the freeway. Keep the same ratios up to the 6th because I like em. 5th is too high on the freeway for long trips.

Id like the same. At 75 mph, if I could tach at 2900ish instead of 3400 it might make a difference. And I do alot of highway driving.

6 speed is marketing

Agree. If the SOA retards put 6 MT into the wagon it would sell much better...

CasopoliS says: OH, NOES, unclemat, can you ever stop? :lol::lol::lol:

Adamaxus you are full of sh#$. Many times my car has gone past 60 in second gear and not panging off the rev limiter.

last i checked you hit about 4.5 in third gear when you get to 100 (60MPH)..so..um..no?

i have to go out in like 20 minutes, so i will make sure to pay careful attention.

Of course, 60 mph in 2nd gear on 5MT LGT is below red line.

just...6200 or so and just grazing 60 mph.

a complete and total waste of gas and you're just slowing yourself down by holding the gear that long - but hey; if it can do it why not right?:icon_roll

Pro Tip - you have to shift to third gear in the 5 MT to get to 60MPH (100KPH) anyway. I would personally love to see your engine shit a brick trying to get it to 60 in 2nd.

As well, my toilet has more liters than your car - i'm gonna turbo it and own you, OLDSCHOOL

Don't know about canadian models, but my USDM 5mt easily clears 60mph in 2nd. In fact I usually nail down 64mph. Yes that's at like 7250, but with a better breathing turbo, the engine just lunges right up there.

I would love to have the new 6spd! It would allow me much calmer cruising speeds, not to mention the bulletproof reliability:icon_wink it is known for.

The ONLY way I'd want a 6th gear is if it was 0.85:1 Overdrive or something like that.

Ditto. I just want one more overdrive. Hell, even my Jeep Rubicon has a 6MT:icon_bigg

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived