LegacyGT.com

Have you had a cracked oil pickup tube?

trepetti

I just got the bad news that my 09 LGT threw a rod bearing :-( I have been hearing stories of engines that have been destroyed because of a crack in the oil pickup tube causing massive, instant, catastrophic oil starvation.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Has Subaru stepped up and made the repair?

If this is a chronic issue, I might try to make a formal (possibly legal) complaint. I would be interested to see if this is really a widespread issue.

Let me know your experience.

Thanks

this caught my eye and just wondering if this pickup tube in the oil pan or is it somewere else? and also wat is the alternative?

Yessir in the oil pan or sits in the oil pan but not attached to it

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

We've had great luck with the Killer-B oil pickups. That's why we are an authorized dealer and installer of their products now! :)

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

You can install a oil pressure gauge. To see if you are in spec. when you're at opt. temp. If your pressure is good, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on the oil pressure. Other then that you have to drop the pan & inspect. If you go that far. Mite as well replace it with a part that doesn't have a history of failing.

Or just replace it for your piece of mind, like LosAngelesLGT did with his OBXT, that his wife drives.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

This falls under the mis-matched tires will make your tranny explode category. Plenty of people have heard of this, very few have seen it first hand.

I have seen about 8 Killer-B parts with failed welds. I have never seen a failed OEM pickup tube. I take about 1 motor apart a week for the last several years.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I 99.99% agree or differ to Mwiener2's knowledge base but in this instance my experience is cracked LGT pickup at 55k. Replaced OBXT @ 55k just to be sure. Obviously experience may vary. I would be very interested in more information about KB parts failures. I know KB pickups are highly respected in the flight community that is using subaru/fuji motors in their light aircraft.

I've seen (and can probably dig up pics) of a KIller-B baffle plate completely fail and let a 2" x 6" piece of metal fall into the oil pan.

The 7 or so Killer-B oil pans I've seen the inside of usually have at least one failed weld.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=539448412741097&set=pb.110309238988352.-2207520000.1362364631&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=539448586074413&set=pb.110309238988352.-2207520000.1362364631&type=3&theater

My theory is that most OEM pickup tubes are broken when the oil pan is removed. Among the professional engine builders I know and work with, a broken pickup tube is a rare occurrence. It does happen, but not as much as the internet and KillerB want you to think.

Edited by mwiener2

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

ok so if I have a oil pressure gauge and keep a keen eye on it ill be ok until it goes. I have the gauge wired up and the sandwhich plate sitting in my garage ready for install just waitin to change my oil to throw the plate on. hope that doesn't leak

Interesting thoughts, mwiener. Personally, I love my KillerB. If it fails, then it fails I guess. We had the engine out already and wanted to hopefully do everything right the first time around. The tube seems less likely to fail than the wimpy looking stock pickup, but we'll see I guess. I think there's about 20-25k on the new engine as I type.

PaSprinter.. The oil pressure gauge will tell you only right now if you're pressure is good. If something were to happen to the pickup tube, once it happens, the engine will go with it. Oil pressure gauges, IMO, are only good for so much with these cars.

• Moderators
I've personally seen an oil pick up tube failure--buddy got lucky and installed a killerb pickup and upon inspection of the stock piece a pretty good crack was just starting to form. I agree that it's not very common, but if you invest a ton in a motor or have a low mileage motor already and plan to keep it within reasonable power levels so as not to require a build, then why not?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

What do you mean why not? Review Mwiener's posts and pics. There is obviously more to think about

I have seen about 8 Killer-B parts with failed welds. I have never seen a failed OEM pickup tube. I take about 1 motor apart a week for the last several years.

Nothing to be confused about. Was sold on KillerB and a friend who has literally built many, many motors is informing me not to drink the kool-aid without some consideration. I'll certainly be interested in the inspection of the KillerB gear in my car when time comes to build my motor. Till then I will consider being less aggressive about pushing noobs to install them to prevent pickup failure.

• I Donated
Someone on nasioc is selling a pickup, windage tray and oil pan from killer b. They want 200 for the pickup/tray brand new and I'm not sure if I want it at the moment. Got more important things for my wallet to think about at the moment but go for it if you like.

I know of two OEM pickups that failed, both on '06s. One destroyed the motor, the other owner was lucky and caught his in time. Easy to see they were both overheated during brazing.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.