LegacyGT.com

Sti Master Brake cylinder swap Qs

darkside

Any body due the STi Master brake cylinder swap.. I am looking to get rid of mushyness out of the legacy brake pedal. I am comparing Sti to Legacy GT master brake cylinder and bolt holes are a bolt up holes are a little off.. Any body know if a specific Year STi cylinder can be swapped.

I see the forester guys are having luck with this.. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/brembos-sti-master-cylinder-replacement-rotors-brembo-owners-please-chime-21330/

Here are some pics of both Master brake cylinders to compare mounting holes. What do you guys think. :confused:

The first 2 pics are 05 STi cylinder and the 3rd picture is the legacy gt mounting holes are in different spots. Any body try this already, Kinda looks like it could be mounted but it would be a lil sideways.

575040142_STiBrakeCylinder.thumb.jpg.faf6bdfa62e9c872ce86b09edff185c2.jpg

66949427_STiBrakeCylinderback.thumb.jpg.665147f15cde078cb68f306ecc58112c.jpg

1213938074_legacygtmaster.thumb.jpg.90090e3a6710982cc94d25ed1b4fef9b.jpg

Edited by darkside
update

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RB rotors, hawk hp+, goodridge lines and motul. Pedal feel still SUCKS, geating a deal for front and rear brembos calipers, new rotors, and pads. Figured since going all out, might as well get stil master cylinder if possible like forester guys.. Supposedly the 13% difference is quite good. I dont want to pay twice to bleed system. legacy has that floaty feel to brake pedal. Dont like. I will change anything i can to fix this issue.

I think (not 100%) that the Forester guys have a dinky master compared to ours. Isn't ours like 1" while the STi is 1 1/8 and the Forester is 7/8"? I think UncleMat said our master cylinder pairs great with just a Brembo swap. You could always try it but I think just the new calipers will do it.

After more looking at pics, you will probably have to do a MBC and Booster swap to work on our car. I might give it a whirl if I can find one cheap enough. My family will be gone for an entire weekend so that gives me plenty of time to do the swap:)

eBay got one for 45 bucks. I just don't see how bolts will line up. Legacy bolts are up and down on sides and sti bolt are even on both sides. I wonder if u can drill new holes. Scared I will hit something behind wirewall. Anyways sometry and let us know. Forester guys got it done. Anybody have A 04,-09 sti thAt can upload pics, to compare.

Nope, the bolts are in diff spots. I could install but it would be crooked/ tilted. Looks like sti booster would be needed. Do u have any pics of the front of the booster. This is my only car, would hate to do this and have a problem. Well, Instead Ive been researching other options. So I got new sti apm j hook rotors with dual cooling, these are based off sti spec c rotor design. Should provide About 15% more cooling. From peoples reviews, these are like 2 piece rotors, but 1 piece instead. Also trying stoptech pads. Corvette guys say good thing about stoptech pads. J hook rotors supposed to give better pad bite than slots. Many Nissan gtr guys running j hooks desing and swear add better bite.

Oh, I thought you said you had gotten a STi booster as well? I am tempted to buy a STi booster to see if it will bolt in. If the booster will bolt in you will be golden. I dont think you will screw anything up. It will either fit or not fit. It is all about having the time to do it all.

Nope sorry got sti master cylinder for 30 bucks, but not the booster, keeping my eyes out for a crashed sti or used booster to try conversion. Can't have any down time. So it's pending research to see if it just direct swap. I'f it is this should work wonders. I am saving for a beater car as a back up. No rush Wanamaker make sure before paying mechanic to try. If they f up then shops responsable for fixing. I am just piecing the research needed to try. As soon as I get a sti booster I will update again. Thanks

You should consider the Cusco Master Cylinder Bracket too. I am running Porterfield pads, Goodridge Lines, Motul 800 and before I did the bracket I still had mushy feel but the bracket took most of that away. If you're going with Brembos I think that those calipers installed along with the Cusco bracket would be a rock solid set up. Edited by sic GT

• 10 months later...

Just to update this post, you need the booster from a wrx or STi and the MBC from a STi and it will bolt right in. The STi MBC will not bolt onto the Legacy booster.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_yF5oeOgY1lY/TUmX7fh5vPI/AAAAAAAAALA/8fYRn4nFaQc/s640/IMAG0156.jpg

Edited by integroid

Like I said in the other thread, my car won't be back up and running until later this week. I will report back after my car is running with pedal feel.

I'm very interested in the results. Have you done anything else to your brake system? Or just the "tune-up" steps listed above?