LegacyGT.com

My Interior Illumination mod - Lighted Cup Holders

OK so this looks pretty cool but i don't know if i like the idea of these being on all the time. i would much rather have this linked in to the interior dash lights etc. that turn on and off when you choose. Having them spliced to the 12V power supply means you cannot turn them off..

Anyone know how to make that happen? I know the heated seat lights are tied into the on off interior light switch.. Maybe tap into that circuit?

O

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw another how to like this on the outback forum. I need to find me some prewired LEDs. Got the ring in my 2010.

Without the ring it looks like it could get dirty in there. Did you just cut and twist the wire on to the existing wire...and cover it with duct tape?! FYI, duct tape is EXTREMELY flammable when the adhesive dries. If you want to do it right, get some inline splicers or at least use electrical tape.

God no! The wires that come with these pre-wired LEDs are about 2 ft long. I actually cut them way down to attach the ends to the power supply. The tape is more than just duct tape, but it is only there to hold the wires down to they don't get tangled while installing the cover. I just wrapped a small amount arounf the two sets of wires to link them together so as to be easier to manage. There is no tape on exposed electrical wires.

Thanks for looking and commenting, but maybe you should look closer and fully understanding before accusing.

OK so this looks pretty cool but i don't know if i like the idea of these being on all the time. i would much rather have this linked in to the interior dash lights etc. that turn on and off when you choose. Having them spliced to the 12V power supply means you cannot turn them off..

Anyone know how to make that happen? I know the heated seat lights are tied into the on off interior light switch.. Maybe tap into that circuit?

O

You could put a little switch where that punch area is next to the change tray to turn it on and off. I think that punch area was for the factory light kit but I'm not positive. It could've been for the ejector seat option.

You should be able to find the same circuit in the wiring loom...

In the Gen4's the colour coding of the wiring was

+-----------------+----------------+----------------------------+---------------------------+-------------+
|   Option        |      Tap       |   Connect Red Wire to      |   Connect Black Wire to   |  Tap at     |
+=================+================+============================+===========================+=============+
|1 Always On      | Acc Power      | Yellow with Silver stripes | Black with Silver stripes | Console box |
+-----------------+----------------+----------------------------+---------------------------+-------------+
|2 On with Lights | Light circuit  | Purple with Silver stripes | Black with Silver Stripes | Car harness |
|3 Dimmer         | Dimmer Circuit |                            |                           |             |

Not sure if it's the same for the GenV's...

Do you have any details about the lights you used? I'd love to do something in my 4th gen.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ohhhhhhh, ejector seats!!!!!!! I want that one, but I got no moon roof. Oh well!

I'm not going to install a switch just for those lights. I'll save that spot for something else, something bigger. Not sure what, yet...

The blue light in the dome always stays on, so why not these? Yeah It would be cool to wire them into the power for the seat heater switches, but so far my experience with tapping into existing power hasn't go too well with this car. I just can't seem to figure out the wiring colors and what is what.

By the way, where does the fog light switch go for those cars that came equiped with factory fog lights? Is the switch in the headlight location on that same stalk or is it a stand alone switch?

If it's anything like the 4th gen, it's on the headlight stalk.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Here's the package from the lights I used. I got them at a Checker-O'Riely's Auto Parts store. But I think most national brand stores carry these same Pilot aftermarket bits. I saw them the other day in Red as well.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5211/5452164806_f7be8689a5_b.jpg

Red is what I want! I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Thanks!

Has anyone checked the wiring diagram yet? Factory options like the lighting normally already have a plug somewhere on the main harness for it.

I wouldn't think it would be to hard to find, that way it would work just like stock.

There are three in those packs and they seem to sell for $5.99.

Virginia SUCKS!!!! $9.99 not including tax!! dont think its the same one i got though, mine came in a 4 pack. gonna install this along with some LED strips under the dash, and maybe run some wires under the seat if i decide down the road i want to put some there.

full day with my car tomorrow, install subs, speakers, and these LEDs

other good news!!! i might have another Legacy to install this on :D think i talked my sister into buying one!

OK, OK I did it. I wired the lights into the rest of the interior lights off of the seat heater switch. The wires you need to tap into are the purple with silver stripe (red wire) and the black with silver stripe (black wire). Thanks hobber for the wiring info. It appears that the Gen 4 and Gen 5 wiring design are simular enough to use the info hobber suggested.

It worked perfectly and now the cup holder lights come on with the rest of the interior lights.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5451829121_6b76d16e70_b.jpg

Because of the way my Subies wiring harness was I chose to tap into power from the passenger side switch. The ground wire on that side is black with a yellow stripe.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5451829217_d9b94e2c7d_b.jpg

I added some quick connectors so that I can pull the entire console cover if needed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5452440708_cf09d8b3de_b.jpg

Edited by ChasWG

God no! The wires that come with these pre-wired LEDs are about 2 ft long. I actually cut them way down to attach the ends to the power supply. The tape is more than just duct tape, but it is only there to hold the wires down to they don't get tangled while installing the cover. I just wrapped a small amount arounf the two sets of wires to link them together so as to be easier to manage. There is no tape on exposed electrical wires.

Thanks for looking and commenting, but maybe you should look closer and fully understanding before accusing.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see crimps or shrink wrap but duct tape on your install so I automatically assumed that you used the tape to connect the LED wires to the harness. Your second install looks better.

Ohhhhhhh, ejector seats!!!!!!! I want that one, but I got no moon roof. Oh well!

I'm not going to install a switch just for those lights. I'll save that spot for something else, something bigger. Not sure what, yet...

The blue light in the dome always stays on, so why not these? Yeah It would be cool to wire them into the power for the seat heater switches, but so far my experience with tapping into existing power hasn't go too well with this car. I just can't seem to figure out the wiring colors and what is what.

By the way, where does the fog light switch go for those cars that came equiped with factory fog lights? Is the switch in the headlight location on that same stalk or is it a stand alone switch?

Just drill a hole in the cubby and throw a switch in there. You could wire other lights to it to make it like the actual kit. There is a hole above the cubby in front of the shifter where another LED goes with the OEM kit. You could also wire CFL or LED in the footwell area to that same switch.

The fog switch is in the stalk outside of the US, but in the US, the fog kit comes with a button that goes next to the mirror adjustment knob. Outside of the US it is the mirror folding switch there.

Edited by Nacron

Thanks guys! I do like the way the second wiring job came out. It's nicer that it comes on with the other lights. More "factory" correct.

ikonosin, you are "The Man" with all your .pdf files and Subi correct info! I suppose that panel comes out of there somehow. ;)

OK, OK I did it. I wired the lights into the rest of the interior lights off of the seat heater switch. The wires you need to tap into are the purple with silver stripe (red wire) and the black with silver stripe (black wire). Thanks hobber for the wiring info. It appears that the Gen 4 and Gen 5 wiring design are simular enough to use the info hobber suggested.

It worked perfectly and now the cup holder lights come on with the rest of the interior lights.

Awesome! Thanks for confirming - now I have something to add to the list of things to do.

PS if anyone who has done it in Red has a pic it would be interesting to see how it looks compared to the blue... I'm still undecided...

Edited by hobber

RE lighting the 'cubby' infront of the shifter - I know I saw the install guide for the factory illumination; I'm pretty sure you can download it from the Subaru US owners technical site thingy.

That would tell you how to get into the back of the cubby..(I'm guessing pull out the radio).

Oh here you go!

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/59088/pdf/059088-H7010AJ000302385.pdf

Honestly - takes an Aussie to help you find your guides. For shame. :lol:;)

Edited by hobber

Well thank you for helping us poor 'Mericans out with this bit of intel. ;)

So do you have a subscription to that site? I know there others here that have access to that site because of where they work, I just think that after buying a new car from SOA they should give you access to that site for free for at least a year. Seems a bit much to ask for more money after the fact.

Well thank you for helping us poor 'Mericans out with this bit of intel. ;)

So do you have a subscription to that site? I know there others here that have access to that site because of where they work, I just think that after buying a new car from SOA they should give you access to that site for free for at least a year. Seems a bit much to ask for more money after the fact.

Some info is free and open - It appears the Accessories installation guides are available to everyone. I can't get to anything else without a USDM VIN or subscription... Maybe chuck your VIN in and see what is available?

At least you have that - SA (Subaru Australia) have the magazine online and that is it. No tech info at all.

alright here is the pics

to start here are the cup holders

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m462/rakapur/Subaru%20Legacy/P1000380.jpg

here is the dash under the driver side

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m462/rakapur/Subaru%20Legacy/P1000385.jpg

passenger side

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m462/rakapur/Subaru%20Legacy/P1000383.jpg