LegacyGT.com

5eat tranny issues shifting/slipping?

DHracer

Recently I noticed when the trans shifts from 2-3 and 3-4 anywhere above 50% throttle it seems to delay and then a second or two I get like a bang shift. Is the tranny slipping and then that bang/slam a second later the clutches finally catching or is this a vavle body/TCU issue? seems like it is getting a little worse as time goes on but kinda hard to tell.

P.S. its an 08 stage 1 with cbe and filter with 60k on it. tranny fluid changed at 35-38k.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are definitely due for another complete ATF change.

Repair manual states first stop is the ATF condition and level. Check those and report back.

Keep in mind that if you choose to go with a drain/fill, it will only replace what is in the pan, about a third of the fluid. You will want to do at least 2 or 3 drain/fills with some driving in between. That, or get it flushed.

I'd also look into replacing the ATF filter since it's relatively inexpensive and easy to get to. Just a bit messy.

The fluid looks clean, still pink and clear. I checked my records, it was actually done at 42k. It was done by subaru same time I had a valve body replaced under warranty. My last drive it seems to be the worst from 2-3 shift. Its like a second or two delay and the revs jump a few hndred rpm and then I get a bang shift/seems to slam into gear. Still think its worth a fresh flush tho?

If the fluid is still clean, it means you need to drive it harder :lol:

How is it level-wise?

If you have had a valve body swapped, I would give the dealer a call regarding that fix. It can definitely be a sticking solenoid.

+1 to what fish said

Bring it to the dealer and see if they can pull any transmission codes. Transmission codes wont always set a check engine light.

I had the 2-3 hard shift, and there was a code for me but no light came on. They made the TCU relearn and now its fine

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

+1 to what fish said

Bring it to the dealer and see if they can pull any transmission codes. Transmission codes wont always set a check engine light.

I had the 2-3 hard shift, and there was a code for me but no light came on. They made the TCU relearn and now its fine

+1 on This....

5EAT, 150k mi.

I had *very* hard shifts from 1-2 and noticeable 2-3, sometimes slamming in 1-2 so hard I thought the trans would rip itself out. I took it to a local independent shop who researched it thoroughly and said that the 'learned' codes were gone. They made it relearn and it's driving like it did when new.

Note they were adamant about using the right trans fluid - Subaru Synthetic ATF - the high performance stuff made for the 5EAT.

Does anyone know the procedure for 're-learning'?

My dealer didn't find this, but simply did a fluid swap and checked to see if there were SW updates. This happened twice over about 60k miles.

The last time, I did the drain/fill/drive x3 with Subaru ATF and changed the trans filter (on the fender behind the battery) even though the filter is supposed to be a 'permanent' item. It's a spin-on like the oil filter. I also added a can of BG AT+ transmission friction modifier. When this didn't solve the shift, I took it to the independent shop. Glad I did. They're Super Rupair in Boulder, CO if you need them.

Edited by Apex-XT
300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is doing the same thing with the hard shifts, i have some of the fluid to do a change and will do it anyways but looks like i get to go to the dealer and see if they can check the TCU, will report back!

edit: interesting my issues didn't start until i had a battery that died. When i tried to start the car it cranked over a few times and then that was that.

Edited by Noeladams

I haven't taken mine yet but checked the fluid and i'm low... I didn't add any yet just taking it a little easier until friday so i can buy 5 more qts.

Oh, yeah let us know what happens!

ohninegt25 did your dealer really flush it or drain and refill 4 qts?

Yes, looking at it now, what a waste of money! :[

Oh, yeah let us know what happens!

Yes, looking at it now, what a waste of money! :[

See my post above... I performed at least 3 Dealer Flushes (each about $150) and a full flush and filter change myself and they never fixed the problem. For me, the 5EAT had lost its learned codes. Local shop reprogrammed them and it has been like new for going on 25k miles now.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

I had the problem of it hitting really hard but the end result was different I ended up a new trans and torque converter. Even after it was swapped it hit hard after I load the tune back on after the trans relearn. I had this problem a couple weeks ago too I had my trans relearn done but this time I went in with my stage 2 tune still on the car and not unloaded back to stock tune. It works like a charm smooth shifting. But I say have them take it out for a drive an log the voltages on the trans and TC and just leave your tune on. Edited by OGHK87Jay

for the 05-07?? (before canbus) you can use the vagcom and FreeSSM?? to reset the TCU

If you have a VAG-COM Cable you can also use FreeSSM on 07+ CAN bus TCU.

Today I reset my TCU on my 08LGT because of a slight jerk in 2-3 shift. No more jerk! I'll see how long this lasts. If it comes back, it's going to the dealer for the 16-72-07 Service Bulletin (Automatic Transmission Learning Control Procedure).

Vehicle: 05' LGT (5EAT)

My transmission is definately unique in my LGT. Ever since it has been getting colder, the Transmission has been shifting harder, especially going into 2nd & into 3rd. It shifted very smooth in the summer (when it was warm). I usually let it warm up for a few minutes & it still KICKS. Than after driving it for a couple miles & the tranny "warms" up, it smoothens out & goes back to normal. I have an old truck W/ 260k on the tranny & that doesn't shift as hard as my Subaru in the Winter. I think I may be selling my Subaru soon.

its the shift of powwaa:lol:

Ha, the notorious "Shift Of Powwaa" on the Legacy was enough for me to put it back on Craigslist. LOL. Anyone know any other years on the Legacy that the tranny doesn't get "sticky" when its cold out? From what I have seen, this is common on both the older and newer Legacys. Ha, and I bought the vehicle for Winter.