LegacyGT.com

Wilwood 4-pot caliper kit

Th3Franz

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I think I'll have time to install the rears later this week. I'll need custom brake lines made up.

Need to get on that my man some of us waiting.........LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

any chance someone could summarize this thread in few sentences. What's currently available from wilwood and what's needed for conversion? We can keep the stock rotors, right? What pads are available both for street and track. There are different part numbers, bore diameters mentioned and I don't think I have the time to go through the whole thread. Much appreciated guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Carbontech- Wilwood caliper brake pads. - $100 shipped??

ctw7420-XP8 pads goes for $180

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/jaxx4k/IMG_6508_zpsdda8a274.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/jaxx4k/IMG_6509_zpsff369a2f.jpg

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbontech- Wilwood caliper brake pads. - $100 shipped??

ctw7420-XP8 pads goes for $180

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/jaxx4k/IMG_6508_zpsdda8a274.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/jaxx4k/IMG_6509_zpsff369a2f.jpg

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

• 1 month later...
Started the install of the rear Wilwood kit from the WRX. The LGT upper control arm gets in the way of the bolt going through the adapter bracket. But, the caliper itself is beefy so we are going to tap that directly. The brake lines are too long, so I am going to get some -3AN 10 in. long (end to end) lines made up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kit is going on this week. Had to get a little creative with countersinking the outside of the caliper and using low profile tapered allen bolts. I'll post pics once the install is complete.

I'm also sorting out small issues with the new engine build, but getting real close to having a road worthy car again.

Hey guys - great thread here, lots of good info. I just want to double check before I place all my orders.

Where I am: stock brakes

Where I want to be: Wilwood 4-pots

Parts list:

2 x Wilwood 120-11135 calipers (larger piston, reported to work the same by SCASEYS)

2 x DBA 4000 T3 slotted rotors (DBA42650S)

1 x Wilwood 150-9416K BP-20 pads

1 x BrakeSwap.com mounting kit

Do I need anything else to complete the swap?

One small note. I may be an exception, but with the lighter calipers and added bracket (perhaps slightly less rigidity) came more brake squeal. On my stock calipers I could run XP8 on the street with little to no squeal. With this setup, I struggle to eliminate squeal with even mellow ceramic pads. Just saying you might experience more squeal if that's an issue for you. Maybe I'm the exception. I do like the wilwoods and ability to swap out pads easily, but I can often sound like a fed ex truck with anything like Bobcats, etc, in. (I'm talking front calipers on all this, not rear.) Edited by caramall2

I've gotten used to the sound of Wilwoods. To me they sound like brakes that work. If someone hears them and throws a glance in traffic, they can't help but take a deeper look and realize the same thing.

Also, the aluminum bracket extenders definitely contribute to the whole thing ringing and squealing. Mostly it's all of the square edges in the pads and calipers.

When I ran xp8's on stock calipers those squealed like crazy. XP8's are a track pad.. can't expect them to be quiet no matter what caliper they are in.

I actually got them to be reasonably quiet in stock calipers on the road...drove pretty aggressively though. I was surprised I could do that...loved having that aggressive of a pad at my beckoned call.

I have as quiet of a pad as about possible (ceramic) in the Wilwoods now and they still squeal a little. I'm talking fronts of course, not rear. Now that I'm doing many track days, I'd almost go back to stock with Bobcat pads, but don't want to swap out calipers again ;-)

Edited by caramall2

Also, the aluminum bracket extenders definitely contribute to the whole thing ringing and squealing. Mostly it's all of the square edges in the pads and calipers.

Interesting that the square edges contribute...wouldn't have thought of that.