LegacyGT.com

P0244 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance

Hey guys, I just got a 2005 LGT LTD 5EAT, drove it at the dealership all was good. Got home and went out maybe a half hour later. after about 15 minutes my car had the CEL light on and the "Cruise" light was blinking. Scanned the code and it came back as P0244 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance. I have only owned the car for about 4-5 hours. Starting to think that they may have cleared the code prior to me purchasing it. What have I gotten myself into here?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it is stock, and yes i was doing a little pull i was trying to read up on the issue but it seems the majority of the people with this problem are either running higher than stock boost or have been tuned is some way or another

I was tuned in the summer and when the cold air came in the fall I got the same thing from the extra boost from the colder temps. Sent Infamous a log and information and got a revision 3 months after I was tuned so he took care of it. I would definately takeit back to the dealer. Do you have an extened warranty? Plan on staying stock? Things to think about.

It was 90* here today so it was definitely not due to cooler air masses. How do I fix this issue? Do I need a new solenoid? Seems like alot of people with this problem are able to solve it Via tuning changes. But I'm not sure what to do because the car should not do this in its stock form right?

Have the dealer check the turbo wastegate actually operates. They can move out of position and get stuck.

If the wastegate operates properly It's probably a tuning issue. As mentioned, it's an overboost condition, the ECU protects the engine by cutting fuel as boost passes a preset threshold.

We often see this when a modified car is run on a stock map, for example where a high-flow downpipe is installed, or aftermarket wastegate actuator or boost control solenoid.

Another possibility is that you have a poor or incomplete stage 1 tune on the car and don't know it.

I'd ask the dealer to check the wastegate opens properly and look for non-stock hardware. If that's all okay I'd think about either getting a proper stage 1 tune or having the dealer reflash the latest ROM for your car to be sure you have a stock map on it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Seems as if the solenoid was previously replaced with a non subaru replacement. I have an OEM Subaru solenoid going in tomorrow. Hopefully this solves the issue.

If you were tuned for an aftermarket 3-port solenoid, putting a stock one on the car will cause you to fall well short of whatever boost targets are set. Your car will be dog slow, but at least you won't see that CEL anymore!

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...

Been running into this same exact issue as well (P0244 CEL). Stock 08 LGT Spec.B. One month ago they replaced the turbo. A week later the same CEL code came up. If I drive in Sport or Sport# and switch gears at 4,500 RPM (which isn't aggressive) the CEL pops every time. I'm under the 60K powertrain warranty so no money out of pocket. They are replacing the Wastegate Selenoid which they found was actually replaced by another dealer 2 years ago just prior to me buying the car. Seems like this has been a problem for a while.

I'll mention the tips to the dealer on reflashing the ROM and checking for stock tune maps.

Not sure I want to continue to mess with this outside of the warranty when that expires. Disappointed a bit with this whole experience.

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

If you haven't figured out what is wrong by now I may be able to help. I had this same exact issue a few months ago when I bought my car. It would fall flat on its face when I went WOT due to fuel cut. Follow the hose from the wastegate actuator to the "T" and I am willing to bet money that the hose that leads to the Solenoid is disconnected. This was the problem with mine.

Thanks for the feedback. The car has been in the shop over the weekend but I did mention these latest items to the service manager today. The car should be ready for pick up tomorrow. I'll let you all know how things pan out.

• 2 weeks later...
Turbo wastegate solenoid was bad, replaced and all good now. I went out and stomped on it in Sport# (Si-drive) and was able to get teh RPM's up higher than 4,500 without getting a Christmas Tree dashboard and CEL. Car pulled great all the way through 6th gear. I blew by some 3 series BMW in the process and I know that guy was like, "what was that blur!?!!?". haha. On a side note, I found out that the solenoid is not covered by the powertrain warranty, however, as the dealership replaced the Turbo a few weeks prior they worked it out so indicating that the turbo malfunction caused the wastegate solenoid malfunciton. Yah, buddy!

turbo wastegate solenoid? do you mean the boost control solenoid?

That's what Subaru calls it.

ohhh... I like bcs better :p

I like 'Electromagical Mass Torque Conbobulator' even better, but it seems Subaru are just boring.

Turbo wastegate solenoid was bad, replaced and all good now. I went out and stomped on it in Sport# (Si-drive) and was able to get teh RPM's up higher than 4,500 without getting a Christmas Tree dashboard and CEL. Car pulled great all the way through 6th gear. I blew by some 3 series BMW in the process and I know that guy was like, "what was that blur!?!!?". haha. On a side note, I found out that the solenoid is not covered by the powertrain warranty, however, as the dealership replaced the Turbo a few weeks prior they worked it out so indicating that the turbo malfunction caused the wastegate solenoid malfunciton. Yah, buddy!

At least it was an easy fix!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the CEL P0244 is back again. Same symptoms. Driving in Sport#, running through the gears, hit about 80mph in 5th gear and then the CEL and other lights on the dash lit up. Turned the car on/off a few times over the course of the next 24 hours and the CEL cleared. Tested again and same failure. Autozone pulled the CEL and gave me a print out.

At this point I feel like my options are:

1) Take back to the dealership again. (Been to 2 dealerships for this same issue.)

2) Call Subaru of America to get their opinion.

3) "Fix it" and sell it.

Frustrated.....