LegacyGT.com

Unofficial Legacy GT “Stage Upgrade” Definitions

You might as well do them both at the same time, that way you can knock two birds out with one stone. I have done the downpipe and im fixing to do the uppipe, but i wish i would have went with both at the same time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thanks! Another question if I may...I'm seriously considering gutting the stock UP, DP, and mid so I can pass the visual smog inspection. Is there a significant performance difference between doing this and getting cobb stuff? If so, any suggestions on how to get around smog? Also, I keep reading a lot about leaving at least one cat. Why might I do that? Will I not pass the sniff test if I remove all three? Do people install cobb pipes, then put stock back in for tests? Okay, enough questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to disagree with your stage definitions, not to say "NO WAY YOUR DEFINITIONS ARE CRAP!" But rather to say well what do you think of how I put it :p

STAGE 0: Nothing or panel/cone filter

STAGE 1: At least Stg 1 Tune, plus Stg 0

STAGE 2: Stg 2 Tune + DP

STAGE 2.5: Tune + TBE + Headers/UP + Panel/Cone filter

STAGE 3+: Start into intercoolers and upgraded turbos

I just think it makes more sense because it goes more into what the manufacturers say what a stage 2 is...tune and DP...no intercoolers or anything...Just a thought :p

Zac

• 1 month later...

what is the expected awhp range for each of the stages?

STAGE 0: Nothing or panel/cone filter

STAGE 1: At least Stg 1 Tune, plus Stg 0

STAGE 2: Stg 2 Tune + DP

STAGE 2.5: Tune + TBE + Headers/UP + Panel/Cone filter

STAGE 3+: Start into intercoolers and upgraded turbos

thanks!

STAGE 0: Nothing or panel/cone filter (250 crank hp, 190 wheel hp)

STAGE 1: At least Stg 1 Tune, plus Stg 0. (290 crank hp, 220 wheel hp)

STAGE 2: Stg 2 Tune + DP. (300 crank hp, 230 wheel hp) (way more torque than Stage 1 though

STAGE 2.5: Tune + TBE + Headers/UP + Panel/Cone filter. (320-350 crank hp, 250-280 wheel hp) (depending on your mods)

STAGE 3+: Start into intercoolers and upgraded turbos. (375-400+ crank hp, 300+ wheel hp)

These numbers are approximate.

Okay, noob question...When someone on the street says, "I have X horspower", do they mean at the crank or at the wheels? And does awhp mean "at the wheel horsepower" and awtq is "at the wheels torque? I just want to make sure I've got this right and know what I'm talking about.

awhp means all wheel horsepower. rwhp means rear wheel horsepower. usually people just use hp which means the hp engine crank produces; and this number is before the drivetrain power lost. awhp and rwhp is after drivetrain power lost.

^

awhp means all wheel horse power

Most of the time, people on the street refer to their horsepower as crank horsepower.

Unless they specifically say, "My car dyno'd at XXX to the wheels", they most likely don't really know and are going by factory estimates.

oic! Thanks tdli and hutru01!

One subesequent question then if I may. Do some/most/all dynos have all four wheels on rollers and regardless of your drivetrain they read the total power? Seems like all they dyno videos I've seen have just two wheels on rollers. Maybe I just need to look closer. I don't have time right now.

most of the dynos i have seen are with 2 rollers, meaning for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive cars only. i am sure there are dynos with 4 rollers.

you can still dyno an all-wheel drive car on a 2 roller dyno though, just remove the drive shaft and now its a 2 wheel drive car.

most of the dynos i have seen are with 2 rollers, meaning for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive cars only. i am sure there are dynos with 4 rollers.

you can still dyno an all-wheel drive car on a 2 roller dyno though, just remove the drive shaft and now its a 2 wheel drive car.

That's what I assumed they'd have to do. I wonder if dynoing an AWD car with the drive shaft removed is as accurate as testing one with four rollers and all wheels driving. I bet a two-roller machine would be more generous, but not much. Maybe a couple ponys.

I'm in the dead center of the U.S. and I have to go to Minneapolis, Cleaveland or Salt Lake City to hit an AWD dyno.

Bummer! I'm about five hours from Salt Lake (Boise, ID) so not too bad. I plan on dynoing after I hit stage 2.5. Thanks for the info.! I'll be sure to wait for an AWD one :rolleyes: .

• 1 month later...

^ All STI products....STI Intake, STI exhaust, STI uppipe, STI Turbo VF 39, FMIC, STI STS.....but thats just my opinion

I personally wouldn't refer to my Legacy as an STI simply because I have mostly Cobb products

The only thing STI that I have is the STS.

• 2 weeks later...