LegacyGT.com

What turbo? wiki... with a twist

I *really* appreciate all the knowledge in this thread! The "last straw" for me looks to be upgrading injectors on a 2011 FXT. The "guards" on them are a PITA to remove, from what I hear. 16G FTW!

Just FYI, increasing base fuel pressure to 3.5bar will make your stock 565cc injectors flow about 635cc maximum. You can do this with a beefier fuel pump (which is recommended if you're going to run a 16G or bigger turbo anyway), plus an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Many people do this, many frown on the practice. Do your own research.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'd planned on a DW65c, 3P EBCS, and "bulletproof" TMIC kit as supporting mods. Would adding an adjustable fuel pressure regulator make running a TD05H-18G feasible? Pretty sure the TD06 SL2-18G would need more fuel. Of course, I know the tuner could taper boost up top as a "band-aid". Sorry if I'm straying OT.

I'd probably want to run an upgraded intercooler with an 18G, not just a kludged one. There's a big difference in IDC at around 635cc between say 10.8 AFR and 11.2, and I wouldn't try to run too lean on a stock TMIC.

YMMV etc. The fact that 16G wants to be tapered off some up top really reduces the mods required to support it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thank you, fahr_side!

It sounds like I'm reaching the point of diminishing returns for what *I* want. By the time I invest in TMIC etc., I might just as well do the injectors; and go 20G. I considered the bulletproof kit & other mods to give the 16G some headroom for tuning purposes, and "perceived reliability".

I completely understand. From 16G + DP + pump + tune it's a lot more money to the next step.

I think I've cracked the VF38 problem on the JDM/ADM GT's..

After months of reading and research I can tell you all the VF44 and the VF47 are direct bolt ons, but they are just as expensive, and no bigger, than the VF38. They do have the same compressor and turbine housing though.

What I've discovered though (and it's a bit cheap and nasty..but do-able)... is that Kinugawa can match up a TD05H twinscroll turbine housing with a MY08/GH8+ TD05H compressor housing...

Now.. you need a TD05H DP bellhousing such as..

http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/impreza-cast-turbo-outlet-vf3637-twinscroll-p-807.html

And Voilà!

You have a TD05H-16G, 18G, 20G on a twinscroll, equal length header and up, with a modified down pipe. Don't even have to change the intercooler.

That's the closest I've found for a 'bolt on' upgrade for the 2.0L JDM/ADM Legacy/Liberty from a VF38.

I'll be trying this concept out after xmas. Should cost about $1100 + getting the flange welded on the down pipe, above the cat.

How bout that?! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly there are still so few upgrade turbo options for the 5G, and the differences in the platform great enough that it doesn't make sense to add the 5G to the matrix.

In hindsight I should created this thread in the 4G forum.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading my tail off about stage III upgrades. I've also read through this great write-up from Fahr_side! I have a TMIC, Comp stg 2 clutch kit, Cobb AP, and a TBE. I see that I need to be careful when it comes to hitting the limits of my stock block and tranny.

My question is, how big can I go before it gets risky. The matrix gave me some of this info. I'm pondering a 20G and debating housing. I've heard/read that 400hp starts to get risky before block upgrades are necessary. Is that bph, whp, or just plain hp?

I just want to get the most out of it but not be to greedy and destroy my block/tranny?

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

What transmission do you have?

I'm stock except for the clutch/fw, that's mostly what prompted my question. I'm kind of afraid of it failing. Having said that, I'm not a guy who gives my car a red line pull every day, or even every other day. I'm a conservative driver who gives a strong pull every now and again and when I do, it's usually bc I'm logging.

You don't fit the profile of a guy who needs a 20G. That said, things change.

You don't fit the profile of a guy who needs a 20G. That said, things change.

You may be right, I just don't want to do an upgrade and be like, "I wish I would have gone a little further". I want the boost to be there when I want it.

Do I not fit the "profile" because I don't red line or autox often?

Thanks for the input guys!

If you want the boost to be there when you want it, don't go 20g :lol:

Longer spool times. Not that great for city driving.

In relation to your question on block wear, there is no right or wrong answer. Seems like a general statement would be 350whp on stock internals seems to be the cusp of safety. Even then, expect faster wear and tear on all internals. There is no magic number really. Then again, a poorly tuned stage 2 could also be detrimental at 100hp Lower.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I know that I'll be experiencing some boost latency. Based on what you know of my profile, what might you suggest?

16g or vf52.... Would let you see some great gains over stock without the price tag of full fuel. You could also skimp on the tmic (maybe do the bullet proof mod). 16g is likely cheaper than the 52.

If you want to absolutely do injectors, tmic, and a pump.... You can go 18g at a bit of spool time sacrifice but higher hp outputs. Personally I see the 20g for a particular car owner... Not really a daily driver.

You need to do more research. 20G would be a lousy turbo for autox. Small turbos typically have lower boost thresholds and faster transient response. Larger ones typically make more power, with peaks arriving higher in the rev range, have higher boost threshold and suffer slower transient response. A 20G isn't big in the grand scheme of things but it's much more lag than typically helps in autox.

One way to approach this is to get some rides in cars with different turbos and see which would best suit your needs. Another way is to have a look at the matrix again. Decide how much you want to invest in supporting mods, pick turbo accordingly.

I get that it wouldn't help in autox, since they're mostly short courses with minimal opportunity to get any spool. I shouldn't have said that.

I'm already stage II with a TMIC, Clutch kit, etc.

The only accompanying mods I might consider on stage III are Fuel upgrades (inj and FP)

I just keep hearing so many different things where people say this and that. "I love my 20g" or "20g takes to long". I know it has to be up to me, it's just difficult to make a decision without knowing what it feels like to drive with the turbo specifically.

Maybe I would benefit more from a relatively small turbo. I'll keep reading I guess.

Get a ride in a 20G car. Remember there's quite some difference between (say) a TD05H-20G in 7cm2 and a TD06-20G in 10cm2, so find out exactly what configuration is under the hood.

Get a ride in a 20G car. Remember there's quite some difference between (say) a TD05H-20G in 7cm2 and a TD06-20G in 10cm2, so find out exactly what configuration is under the hood.

Will do!

I would most likely go with a TD05-20g if, in fact, I did choose this turbo

Thanks for the input!

and when you find a 20g car to ride in, make sure the owner of that car takes you for a ride... I mean, if they offer you the keys, thats fine... But learning to finess to drive a larger turbo takes a bit (imo). So for full impact, have him/her take you around the block a couple times. :)

If i handed my car keys to my friends that drive stage2 vf40/46's... and they drove my car the same way they drive their own, im not sure they would be running to the 18g store to upgrade any time soon. It's certainly a change from stage 2.