LegacyGT.com

Exhaust informational thread

jsalicru

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question.. There is a torque spec for the downpipe to the midpipe, and also a spec for the downpipe to the catback. Shouldn't these spec's be the same?! Isn't this the exact same set of bolts? PS.. Wish I would have read the torque spec for this connection point- I mangled my midpipe flange from overtightening. I'm contemplating fabricating my catback system with a single muffler where the resonator is, and running dual pipes out the back.. Now I just need to find a local connection to a mandrel bender.

• 1 year later...
hI,

I'm looking for the **quietest** catback exhaust for my LGT wagon.

Currently have the Borla in my sights.

Any thoughts, please?

TIA

Stock is the quietest, Borla is the quietest aftermarket.

• 2 months later...

hello.

i have a question about the heatshield on the exhaust line,

will i get any damage on the car if i remove all of them? Fu**in rattle !

and

will i get a CEL if i install a catless downpipe?

hello.

i have a question about the heatshield on the exhaust line,

will i get any damage on the car if i remove all of them? Fu**in rattle !

and

will i get a CEL if i install a catless downpipe?

CEL if downpipe is changed, and heat shields can stay on pretty much the whole system besides down and up pipes.

• 1 month later...
So does anybody know the flow statistics of 3" aftermarkets pipes with the oem 2.5" attachment fittings. Basically what I want to know is if the bottle-necking in the middle creates any turbulence or bad flow. Had my mind made up on a cobb downpipe and magnaflow cat-back until I saw the mating ends. Any info would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm new to the subaru game

But I just moved to minot, nd which has pretty harsh winters. So I dropped the honda and got a 2012 legacy 2.5i premium. I noticed quick that there's no aftermarket parts specifically for this trim. But I'm wondering if anything is compatible. I.e. legacy gt exhaust's maybe? Etc.... I'd appreciate some feedback, or to be pointed in the right direnction. Thanks guys.

I imagine axleback maybe? Other than that, I doubt it just because of how turbo exhaust systems work. A cold air intake for a gt won't fit because it connects to the turbo inlet, where as yours kinda loops around the left side of the engine bay (if you're looking towards your car) and into your intake manifold. The exhaust will not because of the uppipe coming off of your headers up to your turbo and out through the downpipe (exhaust side of turbo and continuation of exhaust) whereas the 2.5i headers come to a t behind the engine bay, through the cat and out. I'm sure custon piping could be done. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure your best option is to stick with what ya got or go GT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When installing exhaust bits, downpipe, mid, y-pipe, etc is it advisable to replace original bolts with new ones? Most likely new parts ship with bolt kits but in the case of used parts, would you replace them?

Hardware not really a big issue...as far as used gaskets etc. absolutely...replace those everytime you separate any peice with a gasket or seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
when installing exhaust bits, downpipe, mid, y-pipe, etc is it advisable to replace original bolts with new ones? Most likely new parts ship with bolt kits but in the case of used parts, would you replace them?

yes

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• 1 year later...
Any thoughts on cat back aftermarket exhaust which is fairly quiet when using very small throttle opening, yet really gets it done when using more than half throttle?

Msmoto aka Ms Tommie Lauer

Legacy 3.6R...

Fast cars, motorcycles, trains, photography, travel...w/Airstream

NIKON, K4MTL

Any thoughts on cat back aftermarket exhaust which is fairly quiet when using very small throttle opening, yet really gets it done when using more than half throttle?

I really like my setup - Invidia Q300 quad-pipe, though you'd get the same sound with the Q300 dual pipe. It's burly on startup and quiets down when idles at 1500. Upon blipping the pedal and under acceleration, it makes some great sounds, really unlocks the boxer rumble and isn't too loud overall.

Stainless steel, great construction also make it a good choice though depending on where you live, you might not need it.

I believe the magnaflow is the best at this. Very deep sound with no rasp. I have one with a resonator and its great.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Appreciate the suggestions... some websites do not have 2016 models up as of yet, so i will keep waiting. Neither Magnaflow nor Invidia have the 2016 Legacy 3.6R listed when I checked, but suspect there may be a way to adapt one of the others.

Msmoto aka Ms Tommie Lauer

Legacy 3.6R...

Fast cars, motorcycles, trains, photography, travel...w/Airstream

NIKON, K4MTL

Appreciate the suggestions... some websites do not have 2016 models up as of yet, so i will keep waiting. Neither Magnaflow nor Invidia have the 2016 Legacy 3.6R listed when I checked, but suspect there may be a way to adapt one of the others.

Nameless Performance

IIRC they have a cat back and axel backs for the sixth gen.

I wanted to upgrade my exhaust for my 2013 subaru legacy. Unfortuantly my car is not a turbo or a sport so the down pipe is different on my car. I know there a lot of bolt on options out there for the Turbo but what is out there for non turbo cars. If someone could give me some advise I would really appreciate it