LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Engine FAQ - Turbos - MPG - Engine Builds - Engine Swaps - Engine Management

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
While you have that EJ20R out of the car build it. I can handle in the 300 range for power. I think Brok had a Megaquirt standalone managing it.

Yeah, I had Megasquirt 1 setup as a stand alone. I loved it.

EJ20R with stock internals can handle close to 400whp, but I would suggest putting ARP head studs in. When I had the GT3076R on my 20R, the heads would lift off the deck a little bit. IMO, stock head bolts aren't strong enough for high boost.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

im planing on swapping the engine out of my 97 legacy gt wagon(hush im building a sleeper) lol and i wanted to know which engines will fit it, its the dohc 2.5 now what would be the easiest and fastest engine wiring ecu (turbo swap)swap to do on it? after its in the car and running i can build it from there. ive just heard way to may diff stories on what will fit and what wont ya know

and i really want to keep the 4.11 gears ive been told it will cause a problem? i dont see why really, i want the car quick not fast 99% of the time im not turning the car over 3k anyway unless im on the interstate then im only turning about 32-33k @ 65

secrets out thats funny i live in MAINE so i could go park it in the middle of the interstate with a sign that says "turbo sleeper wagon right there---------->" and no one would get it 90% of the people here are clueless

this was my maxima and everyone well 99% of everyone use to ask me "is that for your heater?" while they wee pointing at the intercooler ...NOT EVEN KIDDING

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.319092291484732.74688.100001518911645&type=3&l=9f831eb943

• I Donated
im planing on swapping the engine out of my 97 legacy gt wagon(hush im building a sleeper) lol and i wanted to know which engines will fit it, its the dohc 2.5 now what would be the easiest and fastest engine wiring ecu (turbo swap)swap to do on it? after its in the car and running i can build it from there. ive just heard way to may diff stories on what will fit and what wont ya know

and i really want to keep the 4.11 gears ive been told it will cause a problem? i dont see why really, i want the car quick not fast 99% of the time im not turning the car over 3k anyway unless im on the interstate then im only turning about 32-33k @ 65

Read the first page of this post. It has all of your answers. No "stories" or opinions to it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 2 months later...
in my experiences with autozone, its mostly a bunch of dbag, ricey honda kids that talk down and condescend ppl much older and more experienced with things other than bolt on altezza tails.. ive watched this happen in 3 DIFFERENT STORES!

theres an auto zone hub near my house, one of the evening guys there is a subaru guy. he pointed me here as well as to azawd.org for info on my car when i first bought it. auto zones are ok, the advance autos closed down around here, i dont even know where one is in the valley. oreilly is good too, pretty much every guy i run into there is a gearhead, whether its import, tuners or old school muscle. mebbe we just get a better kind of parts guys here :)

auto zone wont clear the codes for you tho, against their policies. i also made the mistake in telling them my 95 was obd2 compliant, took a while to convince the guy.

theres an auto zone hub near my house, one of the evening guys there is a subaru guy. he pointed me here as well as to azawd.org for info on my car when i first bought it. auto zones are ok, the advance autos closed down around here, i dont even know where one is in the valley. oreilly is good too, pretty much every guy i run into there is a gearhead, whether its import, tuners or old school muscle. mebbe we just get a better kind of parts guys here :)

auto zone wont clear the codes for you tho, against their policies. i also made the mistake in telling them my 95 was obd2 compliant, took a while to convince the guy.

The guys at my autozone just hand me the scanner and say go for it when I want my codes cleared lol

See, I do not understand that policy one bit. I made a big deal about it one day to the manager at advance auto. They kept telling me they don't do it because people attempt to clear codes and then go get the car inspected.

This was all over a missfire code I wanted cleared so I could sooner see if my fix for the issue worked.

Well, I told the guy that policy would make sense on my 96 car or most other 96 cars as well as 95 OBII systems. This is because there are exemptions for certain emissions monitors being "not ready." This is because of the way the 96 and earlier OBII systems work. Every single time the car is stared from the off position these monitors will not be "ready" until a short drive cycle, or a specified amount of time has passed. I said if I needed to get that one inspected and it had codes, I would clear it and go ahead. The car I brought was the 98. If I clear the codes on that system, those monitors will be "not ready." This would fail inspection because those monitors are supposed to be ready, the moment the car is powered on. So I asked why I would even waste my time trying to do that. Then I ripped out my paperwork that showed me car was nowhere close to needing to be inspected.

Needless to say, they cleared it for me. Normally I would use my dads Snap-On scanner, but he was busy working and had it. So, my impatience sent me to the autoparts and their crappy scanners.

The guys at my autozone just hand me the scanner and say go for it when I want my codes cleared lol

hehe that would be way better. the only store that stuff happens at for me is the one my best friend from HS manages, but its way too far to drive for parts. that and its in casa grande. no one should have to drive there.

• 4 weeks later...

my clutch is on its way out on a 98 5MT transmission with 2003 usdm wrx engine. I have a lightweight flywheel on the car I don't know if it is resurface able or not.

I need to verify that I match the flywheel to the engine and the clutch to the transmission will the legacy clutch (probably exedy stage 1) fit with an exedy lightweight flywheel for the wrx motor.

Car doesn't hold boost after warmed up.

hate to steel any thunder but buy this little dongle

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-ELM327-Interface-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD-II-OBD2-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-/310435202023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48476143e7

and download Torque for android >> Rev for Iphone

For < 20$ with tool and app you can view all your trouble codes, reset them.

As well as have access to additional gauges and live information from the data, This is the reason my clutch is slipping though.

Screenshot is from my 1999 5speed tercel.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p552/Taylor_Jay1/screenshot.jpg

Don't hate the 10.5 zero to sixty as that is literally as fast as a stock tercel can go... and the hp reading of 75 Is what a stock tercel puts to the wheels so it's pretty cool and accurate based on displacement and weight and the use of gps satellites to monitor the movement of your vehicle. Just don't ruin your clutch over it

Edited by Bassnectar

• 2 months later...

Update to the OBD codes list in posts 9 and forward:

General OBD codes (shall work for any brand, not just Subaru)

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/obdcodes.txt

Subaru specific (some same as the General codes, but with a bit different text, also contains some diesel specific codes)

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/obdcodes_Subaru.txt

453747.png

• 5 months later...