LegacyGT.com

Unofficial Legacy GT “Stage Upgrade” Definitions

I though this would be a good idea to have. These definitions are only a vocabulary to use to better help in discussions. They will help all in determining what level/degree you’re current or desired performance level is at. Hopefully the aftermarket community will use this vocabulary as well for the same intentions. These are loose terms, and by no means official in any way. If you have an opinion as to any changes please pm me to discuss, and keep this thread clean. I will make any and all updates to this first post. I would also like to thank all those involved with helping me do the research to develop this list, Thank You!!!

:icon_idea

:wub: Please Enjoy!!!:wub:

Unofficial Legacy GT “Stage Upgrade” Definitions

Stage 0: Stock with or without; panel filter / intake, or pulley

Stage 1: Stage 0 plus an upgraded ECU map/tune

Stage 1.5: Stage 0 plus a down pipe, and basic stage 2 map/tune

Stage 2: Up pipe, down pipe, upgraded stage 2 ECU map/tune. With or without Stage 0

Stage 2.5: Stage 2 plus a header, cat back exhaust, intercooler upgrade, further upgraded ECU map/tune

Stage 3: Stage 2.5 plus upgraded turbo, and stock fuel system

Stage 3.5: Stage 2.5 plus upgraded turbo and upgraded fuel system

Stage 4: Stage 3 or 3.5 plus upgraded heads or a full engine build

Stage 4.5: Stage 3 or 3.5 with both upgraded heads and a full engine build

Stage 5: Let’s dare to dream!!! Maybe fully built H6 Twin Turbo???

*Having an upgraded wastegate actuator, boost control solenoid, or TGV deletes are just pluses and do not fit into any one “stage” category.

**If you are running a methanol injection system you simply add a “+” to your Stage. I.E. Stage 2.5 +

Click

Here everyday:redface:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of modding my car maybe going to stage II............not sure though as I want to keep all of my warranty;)

:lol: I got a kick outta that one...

These def are pretty much exactly what I've always thought all along. Thanks for clarifying...especially for those who insist their perrin panel air filters count for stage 3 or 4 :lol:

• 1 month later...
One everybody in here will tell you to get the stage 2 tune if you have thos mods on the car. I will tell you the same, it is worth it. I have been at stage 2 for about 6-7 months. I have had no problem using the car as a daily driver. If i had to guestimate WHP. With the stage 2 tune you'd probably be about 245-255. with the stage 1 tune only......I Dunno?

Click

Here everyday:redface:

• 1 month later...
how much horsepower does a stage one make? i want to go to stage 2 but i drive 40000 miles a year alot of city driving im literally in my car all day most of the time. will a stage 2 effect reliability- to what degree, will a stock clutch hold- will i need to make suspension upgrades to handle the power? considering the amount of driving i do do you think the stage 2 will be liveable?

how much horsepower does a stage one make? i want to go to stage 2 but i drive 40000 miles a year alot of city driving im literally in my car all day most of the time. will a stage 2 effect reliability- to what degree, will a stock clutch hold- will i need to make suspension upgrades to handle the power? considering the amount of driving i do do you think the stage 2 will be liveable?

Lots of info around here on that. Search stage 1, 2 etc.

Stage 2 is liveable. Just about right for power needs in normal driving circumstances...

'stages' only exist in the context of a manufacturer and a specific part or group of parts from that manufacturer....

There is no such thing as a stage 1 or 2 Legacy... only in the context of a very specific brand or package / group of parts. This terminology is way to fast and furious...

'stages' only exist in the context of a manufacturer and a specific part or group of parts from that manufacturer....

There is no such thing as a stage 1 or 2 Legacy... only in the context of a very specific brand or package / group of parts. This terminology is way to fast and furious...

No offense, but you obviously have never heard of Cobb Tuning, TDC Tuning, or PDX Tuning, they all have stage 1 and 2 levels. Read up on the forums before you try make accusations that aren't true. This place is in no way the fast and the furious.

No offense, but you obviously have never heard of Cobb Tuning, TDC Tuning, or PDX Tuning, they all have stage 1 and 2 levels. Read up on the forums before you try make accusations that aren't true. This place is in no way the fast and the furious.

:lol::lol::lol: please read my post again....

I must have completely missed the point of your post. First you say there's no such thing as a staged Legacy, then you say its only in the context of a package or group of parts.Almost everyone on here agrees that a stage N car has had certain parts upgraded. It's as you say, a "group of parts". So I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on your post.

So what exactly are you complaining about? That John Doe does not have a "Subaru Legacy Limited Stage 2" since its not from the factory? Or that "stage 2" is not the same as "Stage 2"?

As far as it being fast and furious, its just shorthand. I for one would rather someone say they've got a stage 2, than rattle of a list of mods I could guess they had from them just saying stage 2. Efficiency FTW

--james

:lol::lol::lol: please read my post again....

I read your post again. nothing really funny about it though. ??

Your reference to fast and the furious wasn't in anyway relevant to what people discuss on here. A stage 1 legacy in a general term is a Legacy with an ECU upgrade. It doesn't really matter what "brand" you go with. Its a legacy with appromximately 220-230 whp. A stage 2 legacy is a general term for a legacy with ECU upgrade, plus uppipe/downpipe combo and runs arout 240-250 whp. The Fast and the furious was a moviie about racing, women, and getting your ass kicked (literally). What does our "general terminology" have anything to do with a movie such as Fast and the Furious. I think you are just taking things to seriously. But I guess we all have opinions right? To each its own I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
Nuff about the definition of a stage. Anyhoo, I'd like to interject a question. I'm in the process of accumulating what I need for stage two (UP, DP, etc.). Is there any reason I should do stage 1.5 (DP and tune) before, say, getting an UP? I get the impression these are the logical steps to go through. So, my question is should I get my DP before an UP. Does it matter?