LegacyGT.com

RWD /4 WD conversion for 5EAT

frank_ster

so i jacked up the back of car using a forklift and pulled it using the front wheels

the forklift weighs about 8000 lbs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEP-BFu9U2o]Rwd 4wd conversion for 5eat - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by frank_ster

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm looking into what are options for a stronger rear diff, i found a few bmw diffs on ebay for under 500$ with the 3.23 gears.

that or maybe a 80's vette rear end ?

the r180 as far as i know is only available with the 4.11 gears right?

reason being my spider gears are chipped sine about 4 years i was looking into locking the rear diff just not sure about how bad the car will behave then.

i would think a 160 with locked diff would be able to handle pretty much anything on street tires.

You sir, are an amazing engineer!

Keep after it.

Just watched the video with the fork lift...The dog's in the back seat are great. LOL

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i'm looking into what are options for a stronger rear diff, i found a few bmw diffs on ebay for under 500$ with the 3.23 gears.

that or maybe a 80's vette rear end ?

the r180 as far as i know is only available with the 4.11 gears right?

reason being my spider gears are chipped sine about 4 years i was looking into locking the rear diff just not sure about how bad the car will behave then.

i would think a 160 with locked diff would be able to handle pretty much anything on street tires.

Occasionally you see a mechanical or even a clutch-type rear R160 on NASIOC classifieds for a reasonable price, which almost always are far stronger than stock. You could chance it with a generic chinese ebay r160 mechanical diff, as you woud take it apart and clean it up and make sure it's shimmed right, then cross your fingers it does not have major casting imperfections.

The German OEM 3.27 option looks interesting, but would it be a pain for you to convert the axle flanges?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Occasionally you see a mechanical or even a clutch-type rear R160 on NASIOC classifieds for a reasonable price, which almost always are far stronger than stock. You could chance it with a generic chinese ebay r160 mechanical diff, as you woud take it apart and clean it up and make sure it's shimmed right, then cross your fingers it does not have major casting imperfections.

The German OEM 3.27 option looks interesting, but would it be a pain for you to convert the axle flanges?

link to the chinese ones or any one on nasoic ?

i'll weld this one since i wont want it to blow apart but would like a nice clutch type.

so today i got the evil tunk tunk sound while deceleration meaning the roll pin holding in the center pin sheared off!.

so i kept driving just keeping some throttle and slowing down with the brakes to keep load on it.

pulled the diff out. i tried to take the carrier out but the part that unscrews is completely stuck so i welded it completely in place.

so report of first impressions of welded diff.

don't notice anything for high speed cornering anything with less than 180 deg steering wheel rotation.

lower than that the rear wheels scuff and slightly hop.

driving on the street the steering wheel really and i mean really wants to center its self.

Drive home it's pretty sucky for a daily driver and its worth about 500-800$ to spend to fix it if its more than that its staying like that

Are all the 160 diffs carriers interchangeable?

The manual speak of va1 type and va2 type

^ the problems being the spider gears no?

id love to go r 180 or r 200 but i have not seen any of my ratio and the front as far as i know isn't changeable other than the 3.08 or the 3.5 ratio from the outback

Edited by frank_ster

^ the problems being the spider gears no?

id love to go r 180 or r 200 but i have not seen any of my ratio and the front as far as i know isn't changeable other than the 3.08 or the 3.5 ratio from the outback

yep, the spider gears, both times. the only other option for a r160 is to find a JDM suretrac from a jdm 5spd STi. i had one at one point and that thing was very strong. Also cusco makes clutch type r160 units that can take the beating.