LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

Well 5 weeks later I can finally resume this project. I bought a volume ribbon on ebay to replace the one I messed up. The guy sent it out to the wrong address and was marked as "undeliverable as addressed". I opened up an eBay dispute case with him and when the package came back to him he resent it to my real address which also went "undeliverable as addressed". I had enough of it and escalated the case to let eBay handle it. The guy refunded me my measly $17 and I ordered a new ribbon from a different seller.

Also, I ordered a solder sucker from amazon and received that 4 weeks after I placed the order. Hopefully all of the obstacles have been cleared and I can get the Nexus back in my car soon.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 5 weeks later I can finally resume this project. I bought a volume ribbon on ebay to replace the one I messed up. The guy sent it out to the wrong address and was marked as "undeliverable as addressed". I opened up an eBay dispute case with him and when the package came back to him he resent it to my real address which also went "undeliverable as addressed". I had enough of it and escalated the case to let eBay handle it. The guy refunded me my measly $17 and I ordered a new ribbon from a different seller.

Also, I ordered a solder sucker from amazon and received that 4 weeks after I placed the order. Hopefully all of the obstacles have been cleared and I can get the Nexus back in my car soon.

wow that sucks. That's weird cause I ordered like a full gasket kit from eBay and other parts from FredBeans, and got them like 5 days later! Plus they used USPS, so nothing fancy, AND I am currently on the other side of the pond :hide:. I got lucky I guess..

Yeah I'm thinking I just had a spell of bad luck between those two things, and a tube of grease I ordered being dented and ruined in my mailbox.

I'm hoping that next weekend I can try and get everything wired up and back in the car

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out. I am powering my nexus with the usb cable and a car charger.. How do I get the screen to automatically turn on when power is connected?

I'm using AutomateIt to turn on GPS, Wifi and start apps when power is connected and do the opposite when it turns off + turning off screen but I can't get it to power on the screen when power is connected.

Got a new nav bezel and "device". CG, I think I'm going to try your power wiring trick. As long as they accessible it should be a piece of cake.

Just do a fair bit of testing for audio interference when you unscrew the usb and headphone jacks from the chassis. I don't know if my interference was from damage to the cable (I did tons of monkeying around with it at first, and I might have burned or weakened the shielding with hot glue) or because it was no longer grounded against the chassis.

The chassis is magnesium alloy - and the screws that hold those pieces in place most definitely ground them as well. If you find that you get line interference on your audio while power is connected, you may want to just leave it as-is.

For reference, I heard line interference both with the car charger and with the wall charger - but the car charger produced more line interference as it was dirtier power being generated (cars have tons of power fluctuations and EMF). Even with my brand new Nexus replacement, without any mods, I hear line interference (new charger, cable, and tested both 20AWG 'fat' audio cables and normal 24awg) but it's so low that I cannot hear it unless the car's stereo is raised to twice the comfortable listening level. Unplugging the power removes all such interference.

Dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out. I am powering my nexus with the usb cable and a car charger.. How do I get the screen to automatically turn on when power is connected?

I'm using AutomateIt to turn on GPS, Wifi and start apps when power is connected and do the opposite when it turns off + turning off screen but I can't get it to power on the screen when power is connected.

I'm personally using Settings Profiles but I think the thing you're looking for is in the developer menu.

If you haven't already enabled the dev menu, go to Settings -> About Tablet -> Scroll down and tap the build number until the message pops up on screen that you've enabled the developer menu.

Under Settings -> Developer Menu -> Select 'Stay Awake' - "Screen will never sleep while charging"

I will however mention that I've got my subaru's map-key hard wired to the power button on the tablet which allows me to put it to disable the screen/put it to sleep. This is useful on the rare occasion that an app drains my battery faster than normal while the tablet is sleeping (6-7 percent as opposed to 1) - and I can disable the screen while driving (listening to podcasts) to recover the battery faster. Apart from that, I never have or need to disable the LCD as my [ame=http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-3-1A-Output-Charger/dp/B0088U4YAG]PowerGen Charger[/ame] charges the tablet at about 1% per minute with the display on.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Nexus 7 for cheap from a buddy of mine, so I'll be getting started on this soon.

What are you guys using for ROMs? I'm rooted with Cyanogenmod but I'm wondering if there is anything more suited for using it in this manner.

Also if you haven't seen it, this guy on xda did a backup camera on his install...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259

Looks like I'll be selling my LGT in a few weeks. I'll be selling my Nexus7-ready bezels and the navigation buttons to anyone who is interested

Dang.

OT, what are you selling it for?

Dang.

OT, what are you selling it for?

Selling the car for? or selling the bezels for?

Why? :(

My UOAs are consistently showing abnormally high wear, especially in the piston rings and the block. I'm thinking its got the infamous ringland failure. Plus I want a 5-speed :)

My UOAs are consistently showing abnormally high wear, especially in the piston rings and the block. I'm thinking its got the infamous ringland failure. Plus I want a 5-speed :)

The car. But you already answered.

I see. I saw that thread about your UOA. At least you want another LGT, so you're not leaving the community :).

I see. I saw that thread about your UOA. At least you want another LGT, so you're not leaving the community :).

I'm actually getting a Mini S as my next vehicle. There's no other car community out there like ours and I've gotten to know a few of the members here, so I will definitely be around

Instead of reviving a 7 year old zombie thread, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm looking for a way to get the time to show in the gauge cluster, like it does by default in cars with the nav option. My limited never had nav, and a similar question was asked here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my08-gt-spec-b-clock-dash-mfd-74220.html

I thought it would be somewhere in the pinout for when Nav was installed.

Just got my new device and buttons in. Wired up the map button to power and we're ready to go. Just need to do some mounting. No line interference as is when it's sitting benchtop, but we'll see what happens when it gets inside the dash.

I opted to go with something besides the Nexus 7. It bothered me so much that the screen size window in the nav bezel was 6.51352324325463... inches so I went with a cheap chinese knock off. 6" screen and enough bezel to fill in the rest of the gap. At $150, I figured at worst I would have a new e-reader I can pass off to a family member when I got tired of it.

The processing power is leaving something to be desired, but it still does GPS, bluetooth and audio just fine. Tethering it to my phone is all I need. Aside from the damn time to show up in the gauge cluster :mad:

Pics later.

• 4 weeks later...

20130523_070817.jpg20130523_070741.jpg

Pogo charger, so it goes to daydream, audio out with isolated ground.

Everything is modded via the back cover, no actual hardware on the nexus seven is modded, so replace the back cover its back to stock.

More pics soon

What's the gap like from the bezel curve to the screen? I tried the same thing with that bezel and wasn't happy with the gap I could see when looking at it from the driver/passenger seat

Zero gap. I made the bezel from 7" inch monitor housing into stock non nav bezel with flexible epoxy. If you look at the pic with just bezel back side, you will see a flat surface where the screen mounts. Using .5mm 3m double sided foam tape aroud the perimeter to hold and cushion the glass.