LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

Thanks Boxer for the detailed instructions, made things easier... The drivers side rear coilpack was a PITA, I read somewhere to carefully push the motor to the side with a pipe or breaker bar and it gives you about an 1" more space to pull the coilpack out, that worked for me. Anyway, got the plugs changed, air filter changed, oil changed, MAF sensor cleaned and Techron in the tank, hopefully I will see some sort of fuel savings after this.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Mega Users
Changed plugs this weekend. Things are a bit tight, but the job wasn't too bad.

Key piece of equipment? A hex drive to socket adaptor, like you would chuck into a drill (similar to the pic).

I ended up attaching this to the 5/8" spark plug socket and it gives you enough something to hold onto when you are seating the new plugs back in. Hand tighten them a bit and then you can pull on the drill bit piece and the whole spark plug socket will come out, leaving your new plug partially screwed in. The fact that it's screwed in a bit gives you enough clearance to now attach a short extender and universal joint to the sparkplug socket, reattach the setup to the plug, and torque it down.

This is a fantastic idea. I specifically remember all the trouble I had starting the thread.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Just got done with mine, and when I was trying to unplug the electrical connection for that driver's rear coil pack, the damn tab broke off. So currently the connector is locked on the pack. I imagine I could get it off with a small enough flat head screwdriver if I needed to. But a little further to the rear, there is a zip tie mount for that wire harness. So I just undid that to get the slack I needed to do the 180 rotation to get it off. Not even sure why that zip tie mount is there. It doesn't seem like theres enough slack on that harness to get somewhere it's not supposed to be. Oh well. :cool:

BTW, do everyone's plugs seem ridiculously hard to get out, or did the bastard who did the plugs before I owned it not put any anti seize on the plugs (Or the factory)? I thought I was about to break something getting those out. :spin:

Overall the job went smoothly though. Took me about 2 hours. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

BTW, do everyone's plugs seem ridiculously hard to get out, or did the bastard who did the plugs before I owned it not put any anti seize on the plugs (Or the factory)? I thought I was about to break something getting those out.

I don't recall that mine were that hard to get out. I know that mine had been done at about 60k by a dealer so they weren't the factory install.

Key piece of equipment? A hex drive to socket adaptor, like you would chuck into a drill (similar to the pic).

Excellent call on this! I happened to have one in the tool box and it really helped a lot. Thanks for sharing this useful tip!

jd

• Moderators
Excellent call on this! I happened to have one in the tool box and it really helped a lot. Thanks for sharing this useful tip!

jd

Glad to see others are finding this useful. It cuts down on a lot of frustration, for sure!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I ended up attaching this to the 5/8" spark plug socket and it gives you enough something to hold onto when you are seating the new plugs back in. Hand tighten them a bit and then you can pull on the drill bit piece and the whole spark plug socket will come out, leaving your new plug partially screwed in. The fact that it's screwed in a bit gives you enough clearance to now attach a short extender and universal joint to the sparkplug socket, reattach the setup to the plug, and torque it down.

Good thing I have one of these laying around! I've been putting this off for so long, but I finally have to give it a go either next week or in two weeks, so thanks for the tip!

OK, so while I was changing out the plugs I thought of two things....

First, the engineering design meeting at Fuji Heavy Industries where all the Japanese guys sat around a table and said, Aw, yeah that will be OK.... that number 4 ignition pack will be fine... nobody will have a problem with that....

And second, I envision the #4 pack being the first thing they put on the production line and the rest of the car being built around it.

Although it was not the most difficult work I've done, it was still much harder than it should have been.... I mean.... they're just spark plugs....right?

OK, I'll stop complaining now-- the car runs great and the next time will be a lot easier.

it seems as the engine bays become more packed full of goodies, the notion of maintenance ease for serviceable parts deteriorates!

regarding how the car performs after the plugs... I went stage 3 a week later, so i didnt have too much to compare. However, i did seem to think that the car ran a bit better and smoother. Cant comment on the mileage, as most of my driving was highway after the plug job.

Edited by jasejase

did this today @56k miles .. definitely a very doable job. Not as bad as people say it is. Did it without jacking up the engine. Took around 1.5-2hrs.

My friend was helping me and broke one of the clips on the driver side front coil connector. I used a piece of cardboard to shim it. Hope it doesnt fall out when I drive it.

Idle seemed alot smoother. I had a slight stutter before. Some of power is restored. Gonna wait and see how the gas mileage is. If it still sucks, ima run seafoam thru it next week.

these are the plugs I used:

$30 shipped from rockauto.com

http://i.imgur.com/vLptR.jpg

[quote=maniaxzero;

My friend was helping me and broke one of the clips on the driver side front coil connector. I used a piece of cardboard to shim it. Hope it doesnt fall out when I drive it.

http://i.imgur.com/vLptR.jpg

You can use a small dab of high temp silicone to hold the connector in place. I also use high temp silicone on my vacuum hoses to prevent them from popping off under boost. If you use it on vacuum hoses, be sure not to get silicone in the vacuum ports which could clog them.

You can use a small dab of high temp silicone to hold the connector in place. I also use high temp silicone on my vacuum hoses to prevent them from popping off under boost. If you use it on vacuum hoses, be sure not to get silicone in the vacuum ports which could clog them.

Thanks for the tip. I think i will give that a try.

As far as the vacuum hoses and such, I usually use this sealer call automotive goop. Takes a few hours to set but once it does... It's high temp, flexible(expands and contracts with hoses), clear in color, and it it's very very strong. It was recommended to me years ago by a member on clublexus.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-All-Purpose-Household-3-7-Ounce-130012/dp/B0000A605I]Amazon.com: Amazing Goop All-Purpose Household Goop, 3.7-Ounce Tube #130012: Home Improvement[/ame]

has anyone used the pulstar plugs? are they good or bad?

I would use the NGK Iridium IX plugs, like everyone on here has recommended. It's worked for so many of us before, why not use what's been tried and true?

idk, if theres something a little better why not try it? thats why i asked.

There are followers and then there are pioneers. Columbus wouldnt have discovered america if he didnt venture out as a pioneer. Be a pioneer and be the first to try the pulstars!!! ;)

I tried to do this today, but the guy at AutoZone gave me plugs for a Nissan 300ZX ... Idiot.

Bring them back to them, have them get the correct plugs, and then tell them to change them out in their parking lot.

I would love to see their reaction if they accepted the job, not knowing how difficult it can be.