LegacyGT.com

Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

Hi everyone. I'm looking to do a manual swap on my 05 LGT. I've heard reasons not do perform this swap ie: "It would be more feasible to trade in your car for a manual LGT" or "An IPT upgraded trans would be easier" First of all, it is not at all feasible in my case and the feedback from a MT cannot be simulated from a subaru 5eat. If I did so, I would have more payments and a much slower car. I have yet to see a 5eat to MT conversion. A manual swap would enable me to unleash more power than my 205k 5eat can not handle. Being mechanically inclined, I am up for a new project and a challenge. I know I will be needing the following.

- Manual driveshaft

- Manual cross braces (possibly?)

- Pedal box assembly

- Master, slave

- R160 diff

- And a plethora of wiring

I understand a Spec-b or 4eat drive shaft is compatible with the 6mt trans. and that the ECU and TCU are seperate so a MT ECU may not be necessary. It would be nice to keep my current 5eat ecu so I can retain my tune.

My questions are:

-What are the differences between the GD's Pedal box assembly and that of the Legacy's? Will I be able to use a GD pedal box?

-Can the 5eat cross braces be altered to fit a manual?

-What type of wiring will be needed?

Other questions may arise. Thanks in advance guys.

~Steve

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AT and MT downpipes are different.

If you use RomRaider / EcuFlash for tuning, you can copy tables from your old tune to your new tune. It's tedious (there are a lot of tables) but it's possible.

It seems likely that your 5EAT ECU will work with an MT, but I haven't actually done it so I'm just guessing. Is there a neutral position switch wire in the 5EAT harness that can be hooked up to the MT neutral switch? That's the only think I can think of that the ECU would care about, but like I said, I haven't actually done it.

AT and MT downpipes are different.

If you use RomRaider / EcuFlash for tuning, you can copy tables from your old tune to your new tune. It's tedious (there are a lot of tables) but it's possible.

It seems likely that your 5EAT ECU will work with an MT, but I haven't actually done it so I'm just guessing. Is there a neutral position switch wire in the 5EAT harness that can be hooked up to the MT neutral switch? That's the only think I can think of that the ECU would care about, but like I said, I haven't actually done it.

Ah right, I almost forgot about the DP. The neutral safety switch and also speed sensor will need to be wired up properly.

~Steve

most logical if someone requires a MT is to BUY A CAR WITH AN MT AND SAVE A LOT OF MONEY. Even if you lose $2000 on a lateral swap, it's worth it to then only have to do a straight 5mt to 6mt swap IMO.

But if you really do pull the trigger, this will be excellent to follow.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I know the mechanical stuff can be done but the only thing that really concerns me is the wiring. So here is what I have found...After comparing the 05 manual and 05 auto PCM diagrams and doing some searching on here:

Pin 34 on connector B134 identifies the vehicle as manual or auto. Rumor has it that this pin just needs to be grounded (or ungrounded) to switch between the two.

Pin 9 on connector B137 is the nuetral switch input. Only problem I see here is, according to Alldata, the manual is looking for 12 volts when in nuetral, and the auto is looking for 0 volts in nuetral, 12 volts the rest of the time. No idea whether this would work.

Clutch switch would need to be wired into pin 1 on connector B134

Backup lights look like they could be wired into the same spot at the OP connector

I can't find the vehicle speed sensor input so no idea on this one.

Also, I would really like to know if the body control modules are the same for manual and automatic cars.

There are 2 different ECU part numbers for manuals and autos so something has to be different between them. Just not sure what...

Another? I think you will be the first one. Due to the CAN nature of the car, I am pretty sure you'll have an interesting project. Might involve changing wiring, including ECU, BIU (body integated unit - it is also different), gauge cluster.

Speed sensor is not an issue, since the reading comes from ABS module.

Man, I was hoping I just hadn't searched hard enough:)

Well, I have access to an 08 LGT sedan with 14K miles. I could source whatever parts I could use from there but not sure what will be compatible with my 05 wagon. I know the BIU is different for the wagon too. Are there big tranny differences from year to year? I am hoping the clutch, slave, master, pedal box, rear diff, driveshaft and axles would work. Not sure about the cluster, either.

Mechanical parts will all work. I am almost certain 07+ cluster won't work with 05-06 cars. But I guess would be interesting to try.

Dave,

MY LGT is officially up for sale :). Title should be arrive within the next week.You know what's been going on with it too. PM me, im willing to let it go for an extremely reasonable price.

Edited by j255c
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Anyone know what a 5EAT with an IPT valve body and cooler would go for? 60K miles and AMSOIL fluid.

Trans is worth $1000 +/- $200, plus shipping IF it is in excellent working condition. I don't know anything about yours.

A modified valve body is hard to sell and therefore hard to price, but you could sell it with the condition of getting a stock one in return after the buyer does the install. Figure $750 +/- $50 for a modified valve body with core exchange.

A used cooler is worth like $30 +/- $10 depending on which one it is and how pretty it is.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]